Reload this Page >

Job Security in Qatar

Job Security in Qatar

Old Mar 24th 2022, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

dmsvud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Security in Qatar

Hi guys,

Just wonder if I can get some advices about working in Qatar.

I currently work for a company where a job security is pretty much guaranteed. Understand that it will be very different in Qatar, but I am worried about some extreme cases like I move to Qatar but lose my job in a few months whatever the reason would be. (I believe there is some history that some companies fired thousands of expats when the oil price was quite low.)
Do you think this concern is just a waste of time? I just do hope I can get at least one or two years to prove my ability. (Living and working in ME is a big challenge for me and my family.)

In addition, is there any contract condition like mentioning about the guarantee of the minimum hiring period?

Thank you so much for your attention!
Old Mar 24th 2022, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Security in Qatar

There is no job security in the Middle East. If you no longer fulfill requirements, you will be made redundant. And, yes, it's a boom-bust economy. I watched large firms lay off 3/4 of their employees within a year or two due to low oil prices affecting government budgets and contracting and dwindling work. Working in the A/E/C sector you see this happen all the time.

But others do manage to eke out a long-term presence in the Middle East.

Rule of thumb: western firms are nicer in making you redundant. Don't work for a non-western firm.

Living and working in the ME is not that difficult. Just a bit different. Including no job security.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough

If it’s in the o&g sector then yes, there’s always the chance your job is at risk if oil prices come crashing down, eg like they did in 2015. But this isn’t unique to Qatar, it could happen pretty much anywhere in the world in the o&g industry. I would also say if working through a contractor in the ME then you are much more disposable than if you were working direct for an oil company. But the money can be massively better as a contractor, so it’s swings and roundabouts really.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
There is no job security in the Middle East. If you no longer fulfill requirements, you will be made redundant. And, yes, it's a boom-bust economy. I watched large firms lay off 3/4 of their employees within a year or two due to low oil prices affecting government budgets and contracting and dwindling work. Working in the A/E/C sector you see this happen all the time.

But others do manage to eke out a long-term presence in the Middle East.

Rule of thumb: western firms are nicer in making you redundant. Don't work for a non-western firm.

Living and working in the ME is not that difficult. Just a bit different. Including no job security.

Thank you so much for your advice. The one that I am considering is QP, a state owned company.
When they send out their employees, will it be only one month pre-notification? There will be any sign-out compensation?
Old Mar 24th 2022, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

QP are great to work for, salaries are decent with good perks. Notice period is usually 30 days but can be longer depending on seniority. Obviously you would need to check your contract. QP contracts are usually open ended.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by psychopomp1
QP are great to work for, salaries are decent with good perks. Notice period is usually 30 days but can be longer depending on seniority. Obviously you would need to check your contract. QP contracts are usually open ended.
Thanks a lot Psychopomp1,
do you see any case expats get hired but kicked out in few months? Really not familiar with Qatar or ME so my questions are extreme lol
Old Mar 24th 2022, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmsvud
Thanks a lot Psychopomp1,
do you see any case expats get hired but kicked out in few months? Really not familiar with Qatar or ME so my questions are extreme lol
Unlikely, you’d be in for the long haul with QP.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Unlikely, you’d be in for the long haul with QP.
Thank you so much for your advice!
Old Mar 24th 2022, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Few people eke it out in Doha for more than a few years, unless it's silly money. Doha is a crap place to live. The expat churn is real. Among westerners, probably no more than 20% make it past three years. An offer from QP is probably good enough for a few years as long as oil prices are decent and you perform decently enough.

You will move on, most likely. Either they send you packing or the wife complaining about Doha hits a no return point.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 4:25 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll also need to consider whether you and your family will be able to tolerate Qatar. It's a tough assignment, as others have indicated.
If your Qatar assignment is short (less than a full tax year), you could well remain UK Resident for tax purposes.
QP is one of the better employers in Qatar, and I don't see O&G prices reducing any time soon.
Why not head out yourself and see if you settle, then consider bringing the family for visits or possibly to join you? Sounds tough but is common in the Middle East.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

w_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond repute

As others said, the job security in the GCC is a big 0, no matter where you work. Some employers are less worse than others. My advice is you need to plan your exit before you start. You can't rely on the contract and the good will of your employer.
I never worked for QP, but I witnessed 2 waves of firing: one in 2017 and the other in 2020. In 2017 they fired hundreds of people as they closed their R&D. In 2020 because of COVID. They started with all above 60, then gradually went down. Similar waves happened at Qatar Foundation, Qatar University, all Ministries, etc. I should admit though if your employer is an international reputable company/agency then they are unlikely to make you redundant the same way like local/government or semi-government agencies. I heard many stories of people collapsed when they all the sudden received their letter of termination. Mind you, in most cases it has nothing to do with your performance! In 2017 some people in a popular work place in Qatar committed a suicide when they were terminated.
To make a long story short: if you have no exit plan then don't go.
Old Mar 27th 2022, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by w_scott
As others said, the job security in the GCC is a big 0, no matter where you work. Some employers are less worse than others. My advice is you need to plan your exit before you start. You can't rely on the contract and the good will of your employer.
I never worked for QP, but I witnessed 2 waves of firing: one in 2017 and the other in 2020. In 2017 they fired hundreds of people as they closed their R&D. In 2020 because of COVID. They started with all above 60, then gradually went down. Similar waves happened at Qatar Foundation, Qatar University, all Ministries, etc. I should admit though if your employer is an international reputable company/agency then they are unlikely to make you redundant the same way like local/government or semi-government agencies. I heard many stories of people collapsed when they all the sudden received their letter of termination. Mind you, in most cases it has nothing to do with your performance! In 2017 some people in a popular work place in Qatar committed a suicide when they were terminated.
To make a long story short: if you have no exit plan then don't go.
Thanks w_scott, I saw everyone's comments quite late (thank you everyone for your kind advice!) and yours catches my eye the most. Is there any way I can at least get some min guaranteed period at the company like making myself as a contractor? Or, do they give any compensation for termination for the employees less than few years?
Anyway, thanks about showing me the real world!
Old Mar 28th 2022, 4:17 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

As others have stated, there is no job security in the Middle East.

Vet companies carefully before accepting any offers, and make sure you have an exit plan in place before you arrive.

I've watched dozens of people arrive over the years, splash out their entire reserves on cars, nice furniture and endless treats on the assumption they'll be working for years, then suddenly find themselves without a job or a safety net.

Not to say it's all doom and gloom - many people do well in the region and leave with a lot more than they arrived with.

It's just better to be prudent and make plans assuming the worst then you'll always have an out, and always be leaving with more than you came with.

Old Mar 31st 2022, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

w_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmsvud
Thanks w_scott, I saw everyone's comments quite late (thank you everyone for your kind advice!) and yours catches my eye the most. Is there any way I can at least get some min guaranteed period at the company like making myself as a contractor? Or, do they give any compensation for termination for the employees less than few years?
Anyway, thanks about showing me the real world!
There is no guarantee of any type. As a rule of thumb, if you are with an international company/agency, your are always better off. Normally QP gives a sort of compensation upon termination. I recall in 2017 they gave 1 year salary, but things may have changed now, as everything is degrading in Qatar.
If you have a job to return to at any time then go for it. Also it varies from one person to another, but you need to ask yourself: what will you do if they make you redundant tomorrow. If you have a good answer then go for it.
I hope this helps,
Scott
Old Apr 5th 2022, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Arniesjr is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no job security whatsoever in Qatar, the fact that you'll be working for the Government doesn't help in any way.
As others mentioned several times make sure you have a exit plan in place if you decide to come over.
Also note that there is currently an amplified sense of insecurity in Qatar as everyone is waiting for the country wide "construction freeze" before the world cup which will quite certainly mean mass redundancy (see map attached)
The fact that the government doesn't make their own plan clear only adds anxiety to an already unstable situation.
My experience so far in Qatar is that people are expendable and expats are tolerated rather than welcomed. Take also into consideration that the cost of living is not for the faint-hearted and recently has got worse.