Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job Opportunity in Riyadh

Job Opportunity in Riyadh

Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:27 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Opportunity in Riyadh

Originally Posted by benzonar
I have spent a far bit of time in KSA and so will divulge what I know.

With regards to security, yes there are problems. There is always the chance you will be shot by some nutter. However you are more likely to be horrifically maimed on the roads then you are by some gun toting terrorist. I cannot reiterate enough the level of danger that driving in Riyadh represents.

Forget Dubai, that is polite and considerate when compared to the driving style in Riyadh. It truly does beggar belief.

Compound living is OK, but it can become a bit boring and tiresome. If it wasn't for the events in the Embassies and the various company compounds then there would be a lot fewer folks over there.

Prepare for your wife to be stared at and receive derogratory comments more than any other place in the world. Even if she is covered she will still get them.

This gives a pretty good insight from a non-Saudi muslim point of view.

Other than that I quite enjoyed KSA, and due to return for a short spell soon before I move to AD.

that article is amazing, I am going to ask Bob if he can wiki it for us.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
i agree, it is a fab article...i mean, from JDs posts, i had kinda thought Saudi was ok...

MM, xx
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:33 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i agree, it is a fab article...i mean, from JDs posts, i had kinda thought Saudi was ok...

MM, xx
nope definately not! terrible
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:49 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
I have spent a far bit of time in KSA and so will divulge what I know.

With regards to security, yes there are problems. There is always the chance you will be shot by some nutter. However you are more likely to be horrifically maimed on the roads then you are by some gun toting terrorist. I cannot reiterate enough the level of danger that driving in Riyadh represents.

Forget Dubai, that is polite and considerate when compared to the driving style in Riyadh. It truly does beggar belief.

Compound living is OK, but it can become a bit boring and tiresome. If it wasn't for the events in the Embassies and the various company compounds then there would be a lot fewer folks over there.

Prepare for your wife to be stared at and receive derogratory comments more than any other place in the world. Even if she is covered she will still get them.

This gives a pretty good insight from a non-Saudi muslim point of view.

Other than that I quite enjoyed KSA, and due to return for a short spell soon before I move to AD.

My aunt spent 14 years in Saudi and after reading this article and thread, I do wonder how she survived.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 4:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
It's been linked to in the lifestyle wiki section, also set up city guides section and added accomodation stuff from JD...so if there's anything else, people can add away
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

safety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud of

Thnx for the replies peeps, you've been very informative & supportive. i will keep you updated on what happens
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:13 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by safety
Thnx for the replies peeps, you've been very informative & supportive. i will keep you updated on what happens
good luck
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:45 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
The thing that is scary..That article is from Jeddah.

Jeddah is like Las Vegas compared to Riyadh.

Everything in Saudi beggars belief
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

safety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud of

i just read the article, & i was shocked to see this happening in any country in the world, let alone SA, but on the other hand, it is the first time that i hear that there is racism between saudis, i think thats immposible, yes the system has alot of major problems, but again i guess it will be easier for me to comprehend the culture shock, being a muslim & an arab, at least i have been in the middle east for 30 years & know how people think! bout the Karantina, we had something like that in Egypt, sudanese refugees camped in the most prestigous part of Cairo, the capital, & the gov. tried to move them to another place until their problem with Sudan is solved, however they refused, & the place they stayed was turned into a scum in 3 months time, drinking in the street, robberies, prostitution, name it, so the egyptian police had to deal with them in a violent act that caused the death of 20 of them while moving them, & after they have been caught, blood tests were done on them, & came up with the fact that some had AIDS! the problem is that some of the people in middle africa, specially those who live in the rural area, thinks that they can do anything when they come to a big city! & that's all over Africa.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:07 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

i just read the article, & i was shocked to see this happening in any country in the world, let alone SA, but on the other hand, it is the first time that i hear that there is racism between saudis, i think thats immposible, yes the system has alot of major problems, but again i guess it will be easier for me to comprehend the culture shock, being a muslim & an arab, at least i have been in the middle east for 30 years & know how people think! bout the Karantina, we had something like that in Egypt, sudanese refugees camped in the most prestigous part of Cairo, the capital, & the gov. tried to move them to another place until their problem with Sudan is solved, however they refused, & the place they stayed was turned into a scum in 3 months time, drinking in the street, robberies, prostitution, name it, so the egyptian police had to deal with them in a violent act that caused the death of 20 of them while moving them, & after they have been caught, blood tests were done on them, & came up with the fact that some had AIDS! the problem is that some of the people in middle africa, specially those who live in the rural area, thinks that they can do anything when they come to a big city! & that's all over Africa.
I have no problem with Islam.

I have problems with some peoples interpretation of it.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

check out the attachment
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I have no problem with Islam.

I have problems with some peoples interpretation of it.
that's it JD, that's it, most of the people's interpretations of islam is totally worng.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:19 am
Up in the air

that's it JD, that's it, most of the people's interpretations of islam is totally worng.
As far as im concerned, i dont care what god people worship, as long as they are decent, kind people why should it matter??