British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Job in Oman? Help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/job-oman-help-484806/)

bexter Oct 2nd 2007 12:11 pm

Job in Oman? Help!

Hi

I may be having an interview with the Ministry of Education, on a sa:blink:lary of 1600 Omani Riyals per month, furnished accommodation, air fare home. Is this any good? I have two school-aged children, ad no other income. What is the Ministry like as an employer, and do you think this deal is okay?

Thanks!

Desert Dweller Oct 3rd 2007 6:45 am

Re: Job in Oman? Help!

My wife used to work for the MoE in Oman and they were good employers, though it is 6 years ago.
The salary sounds fine for Muscat, though I'm not sure how much the schools cost there, that will be your biggest cost.

lionheart Oct 3rd 2007 7:08 am

Originally Posted by bexter (Post 5377585)
Hi

I may be having an interview with the Ministry of Education, on a sa:blink:lary of 1600 Omani Riyals per month, furnished accommodation, air fare home. Is this any good? I have two school-aged children, ad no other income. What is the Ministry like as an employer, and do you think this deal is okay?

Thanks!

Something above 2000 per month would be better, but its a nice place in which to live and bring up kids. What about school fees?

bexter Oct 3rd 2007 8:17 am

Is it okay for kids? When I lived in Dubai. I had no kids. so different needs. Obviously I guess it's very safe for them, but will they be bored?!? Is the education for British kids a good standard? What about au pairs/help? Things like that? I reckon I will need some help! Are they expensive?

;)

Desert Dweller Oct 4th 2007 1:26 am

I would bring my kids up in Oman any day- loads for them to do and lots of other kids as Oman has become quite a 'young family' destination as there is less to do for the singles.
The school standard is very high at places like The British School and a couple of the international schools but I will defer to anyone who actually has kids in the system to know what the options are.
Helpers are cheap and as Oman is a transient place there will always be helpers recommended by families leaving- usually Pinoy, Sri Lankan or Indian.

bexter Oct 8th 2007 9:11 am

Well, does anyone out there know about the British School? Is it a good standard? Does it have a long waiting list? Does anyone know what 'furnished accomma=odation' provided by the Ministry of Education might be like?! Can I get a live-in maid/helper? Do such things exist, and how much are they likely to cost per month?

So many questions!! Stressed out? Me? Is it worth uprooting life and children to go there, that's the main question!!

:confused:

MataHari Oct 8th 2007 9:19 am

Originally Posted by bexter (Post 5400140)
So many questions!! Stressed out? Me? Is it worth uprooting life and children to go there, that's the main question!!

No one can answer that question for you...every family is different...
The only thing you can make sure beforehand is that you will have enough money to provide you with a comfortable lifestyle over there. The rest is mostely up you yourselfs and your attitude, your flexibility, how easy it is for you all to leave familiar things behind and start all over etc etc...
For every positive story, you'll be able to find a negative one as well.
Maybe you can go out for a visit, see what it's like.

bexter Oct 8th 2007 9:44 am

And what have most people done re. their houses in UK? I have relocated so many times now I just cannot face all that packing up again. I just want to take suitcases plus ship a few boxes over, and put the rest of the house into storage somehow, but the stress of having to do all this again scares me! What have others done with vis a vis this? Are there companies that just do it all for you!?

:D

Madam Medusa Oct 8th 2007 10:01 am

Originally Posted by bexter (Post 5400246)
And what have most people done re. their houses in UK? I have relocated so many times now I just cannot face all that packing up again. I just want to take suitcases plus ship a few boxes over, and put the rest of the house into storage somehow, but the stress of having to do all this again scares me! What have others done with vis a vis this? Are there companies that just do it all for you!?

:D

yep, of course there are companies that pack up and move everything...ship what you want, and store the rest. Storage is really expensive if you do it via the relo company though, as we're finding now, so you may be best to do that part separately...

MM, xx

justin riseborough Oct 8th 2007 11:24 am

Well, does anyone out there know about the British School? Is it a good standard? Does it have a long waiting list? Does anyone know what 'furnished accomma=odation' provided by the Ministry of Education might be like?! Can I get a live-in maid/helper? Do such things exist, and how much are they likely to cost per month?

Bexter,

Welcome, I am one of the few of us on the bored who is based in Muscat Oman. Would agree a bit more money would be good, while the majority of some things are cheap, others are expensive.

With regards to schooling, you have 4 better options available

1 British School of Muscat, follows the International GCSE's, depending on age will depend on fees, but about 1500 to 2000+ per child per year
2 Muscat International School, follows IGCSE's, marked in Cambridge, second in the Sulatanate, losts of Western children now enrolling. The fees are about 200 - 300 a year higher the BSM
3 American British Academy, does not follow IGCSE's but is a high standard, not sure on the fees.
4 The Royal Flight School, I know little of this school except that it is meant to be very good.

Hope this helps you, if you need to drop me a PM with any specific questions.

Justin

justin riseborough Oct 8th 2007 11:28 am

The waiting list for the BSM is huge, and it varies between the school years. My advice would be as soon as you know whether you are coming or not register them at the schools, all of them that I have mentioned have websites, so I could PM their details to you individually. You could be lucky working for the MoE and gain entrance quicker than most this way, and I would certainly try and get the school fees as part of the package, as it is the most expensive outgoing most expats will have (except those in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, that will be the weekly alcohol bill)

Paidtoplease Oct 8th 2007 11:32 am

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 5400523)
The waiting list for the BSM is huge, and it varies between the school years. My advice would be as soon as you know whether you are coming or not register them at the schools, all of them that I have mentioned have websites, so I could PM their details to you individually. You could be lucky working for the MoE and gain entrance quicker than most this way, and I would certainly try and get the school fees as part of the package, as it is the most expensive outgoing most expats will have (except those in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, that will be the weekly alcohol bill)

That's it...Henry is no longer available in Dubai...:sneaky:

justin riseborough Oct 8th 2007 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5400534)
[/COLOR]

That's it...Henry is no longer available in Dubai...:sneaky:

Why be like that P2P.

I take it back, only those in Abu Dhabi

Oh, look at that my 100th post, I can nearly be classed as a regular

Paidtoplease Oct 8th 2007 11:39 am

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 5400554)
Why be like that P2P.

I take it back, only those in Abu Dhabi

Oh, look at that my 100th post, I can nearly be classed as a regular

Congratulations, for your 100th post..the prize is ...hold on let me look it up..... Waayyyyyyyhhhaaaayyyyy a Henry Hoover :D

bexter Oct 8th 2007 11:41 am

You guys are all insane! Is that what will become of me in Muscat? My one remaining brain cell goes west??!