Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job offered in Riyadh - a few questions

Job offered in Riyadh - a few questions

Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

homersthirdnipple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offered in Riyadh - a few questions

Afternoon all, Just been offered a job as project manager out in Riyadh on a new hospital project. Initial 2 year contract.
Couple of naging questions if you dont mind.
I will be paid monthly in local currency, what is the exchange rate and cost of transferring money back to the UK? And what is the best way to go about this. I have heard stories of poor rates and costly transfers. Any help on this appreciated.
what is the going rate for an Electrical project manager per month to check against what I have been offered.

I am sure I have a hundred more questions but that will do for now.

Thanks in advance

Al
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offered in Riyadh - a few questions

Originally Posted by homersthirdnipple
Afternoon all, Just been offered a job as project manager out in Riyadh on a new hospital project. Initial 2 year contract.
I will be paid monthly in local currency, what is the exchange rate and cost of transferring money back to the UK? And what is the best way to go about this. I have heard stories of poor rates and costly transfers. Any help on this appreciated.
what is the going rate for an Electrical project manager per month to check against what I have been offered.

Thanks in advance

Al
What have you been offered ? There's so many variables that it would be impossible to give you an answer .

Post the basic specifics of the deal including benefits and you'll get a response that should help you out mate .
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

26k sar per month, accommodation, fully expensed car, health care, 30 days hol, 2 return flights per year, single status.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Thanks in advance

Al
Local currency SAR has fixed conversion rate to USD (3.75 SAR = 1 USD). Therefore rate fluctuates in line with GBP/USD fluctuations.

Lots of threads in this forum discussing transferring funds back to the UK
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Contractor or consultant/client side.

If latter this is probably low but depends on experience.

Also if Contractor will you be expected to work 6 day week.

Are you aware of any End of Service benefit offered and Saudi labour law on this point?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Contractor or consultant/client side.

If latter this is probably low but depends on experience.

Also if Contractor will you be expected to work 6 day week.

Are you aware of any End of Service benefit offered and Saudi labour law on this point?
Contractor, end service was detailed as 1.2 months salary per year, Still making my mind up as to accept. Probably best to work 6 days, keep me occupied!!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Should be quite interesting work...if a little frustrating at times.

The three big contractors are El Seif, Saudi Oger and BinLadin. All have a certain amount of western management staff.

Good luck.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Should be quite interesting work...if a little frustrating at times.

The three big contractors are El Seif, Saudi Oger and BinLadin. All have a certain amount of western management staff.

Good luck.
Thanks, it feels like a decent deal although not as much as I was led to believe but the project seems a goodun.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

26k sar per month, accommodation, fully expensed car, health care, 30 days hol, 2 return flights per year, single status.
It's a pretty basic deal , obviously you'll save most of that , if it works for you then go for it mate .

There's a lot better out there but that can be said for almost anything . I would be looking for more because it's a pure shit hole .
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
It's a pretty basic deal , obviously you'll save most of that , if it works for you then go for it mate .

There's a lot better out there but that can be said for almost anything . I would be looking for more because it's a pure shit hole .
I have tried for better but lack of proffessional qualifications hold me back so I think this is the level. It will pay off some shite back home anyway and beats paying a third of my wages out in tax an NI.
Thanks for the feedback
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Homer

Been reading this with interest. I have worked in Riyadh on contracts in 2010-2011. This was at a bank though.

The accomodation does not come out of the SAR 26k per month right? Also the full car allowance is excluding the SAR 26k. If that is correct, this salary is good. You will not spend more than SAR 1,000 per week at the very most.

Rent is by far the heaviest expense for expats in Riyadh.
So - SAR 22k in pure savings = nearly USD 6,000 per month despite living well. A sweet deal.

One thing I would suggest is to set up a USD bank account. The SAR/USD conversion is fixed - so you eliminate any currency risk apart from the highly liquid GBP/USD exchnage rate.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have tried for better but lack of proffessional qualifications hold me back so I think this is the level. It will pay off some shite back home anyway and beats paying a third of my wages out in tax an NI.
Thanks for the feedback
Don't let the so called professional qualifications put you off mate . There's more tosspots plying their trade in this part of the world with letters next to their name than anywhere on the planet .

Good luck
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Southlondoner
Hi Homer

Been reading this with interest. I have worked in Riyadh on contracts in 2010-2011. This was at a bank though.

The accomodation does not come out of the SAR 26k per month right? Also the full car allowance is excluding the SAR 26k. If that is correct, this salary is good. You will not spend more than SAR 1,000 per week at the very most.

Rent is by far the heaviest expense for expats in Riyadh.
So - SAR 22k in pure savings = nearly USD 6,000 per month despite living well. A sweet deal.

One thing I would suggest is to set up a USD bank account. The SAR/USD conversion is fixed - so you eliminate any currency risk apart from the highly liquid GBP/USD exchnage rate.
Thanks for the reassurance mate, yes i do not pay a bean towards accommodation, health care or car. Figured on £400 per month living expenses but if its a bit more, so what. Good advice about the Dollar
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Don't let the so called professional qualifications put you off mate . There's more tosspots plying their trade in this part of the world with letters next to their name than anywhere on the planet .

Good luck
I have a mate who is a Director of Hill International and he could not get me a better deal because of the fact that they are a consultancy and can only get visas for people with hnd,s etc but a contractor can get visas for the ''likes of me'' Will blow the educated out of the water anyway!!!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:48 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

I have a mate who is a Director of Hill International and he could not get me a better deal because of the fact that they are a consultancy and can only get visas for people with hnd,s etc but a contractor can get visas for the ''likes of me'' Will blow the educated out of the water anyway!!!
According to my visa I'm a carpenter... And I work in a similar role for one of the big 3, the salary seems a little on the low side, but in the ball park. At this level the total package should be worth about 40-45k a month.

Not that many westerners on the project staff, and mostly arabic speaking French. 1000SAR a week will cover eating out every night, phone, net and petrol, which is 0.6SAR a litre or 10p... You should be able to get your salary paid into a UK/offshore account, take one month's salary as cash and send the rest out of the country, should keep you going locally for a while

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.