British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   IT Job offer UAE But no idea if Fair or Foul (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/job-offer-uae-but-no-idea-if-fair-foul-642786/)

Kevinbrenn Nov 30th 2009 6:04 pm

IT Job offer UAE But no idea if Fair or Foul

Hi I have had a potential job offer in Abu Dhabi rate is $78,000 per year with 3 months (10 days ) of which is leave (not really sure if this means that the want me to work for three months with 10 days off here and their but I have yet to find that out)

They tell me that accommodation cleaning etc will be taken care of by the company as will flights to and from UK.

This is a senior SQL Dev DBA role.

I contract both here in the UK and Europe but have never been to the UAE let alone work their so any advise would help.

Millhouse Nov 30th 2009 6:06 pm

Re: IT Job offer UAE But no idea if Fair or Foul

Originally Posted by Kevinbrenn (Post 8136178)
Hi I have had a potential job offer in Abu Dhabi rate is $78,000 per year with 3 months (10 days ) of which is leave (not really sure if this means that the want me to work for three months with 10 days off here and their but I have yet to find that out)

They tell me that accommodation cleaning etc will be taken care of by the company as will flights to and from UK.

I contract both here in the UK and Europe but have never been to the UAE let alone work their so any advise would help.

you won't go hungry

Kevinbrenn Nov 30th 2009 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8136188)
you won't go hungry

Thanks Millhouse:thumbup:

Aikman7981 Dec 1st 2009 3:54 am

Get specifics on the accommodation being provided. Are you bringing family? If so get school allowances, if not ask for more money in leiu of school allowances.

Does sound like you're on to something

sanco Dec 3rd 2009 4:25 pm

hmmm i would do your homework on the company or do let us know who the company is, just to make sure we havent heard anything bad about it :P otherwise i would definitely go for it.

technocracy Dec 10th 2009 12:30 am

I assume this is the US government project. I had a phone call the other day from a hapless recruiter who didn't really have a clue about the role he was recruiting for - he'd just found my CV on a job site somewhere.

The role he was talking about was and I quote: Position: IT/ SW Technician / Engineer .. .. and was basically a jack of all trades role. Offering $60k pa, working 3 months (5 days weeks) then 10 days back home - and you cannot take family for the first year (at least). He was talking about 5 star accomodation and everything being taken care of - but it all seem rather strange that family aren't allowed!

From my part I had absolutely no interest on several grounds 1) the family part, 2) the money (or lack of it), 3) seemed a bit of a dogs body role.

If your single then it might be a role for you - if anyone wants the email of the guy who phoned me drop me a PM and I'll PM it back .

TGFKASE Dec 10th 2009 4:15 am

Originally Posted by technocracy (Post 8160851)
I assume this is the US government project. I had a phone call the other day from a hapless recruiter who didn't really have a clue about the role he was recruiting for - he'd just found my CV on a job site somewhere.

The role he was talking about was and I quote: Position: IT/ SW Technician / Engineer .. .. and was basically a jack of all trades role. Offering $60k pa, working 3 months (5 days weeks) then 10 days back home - and you cannot take family for the first year (at least). He was talking about 5 star accomodation and everything being taken care of - but it all seem rather strange that family aren't allowed!

From my part I had absolutely no interest on several grounds 1) the family part, 2) the money (or lack of it), 3) seemed a bit of a dogs body role.

If your single then it might be a role for you - if anyone wants the email of the guy who phoned me drop me a PM and I'll PM it back .

He didnt ask for money to make your CV up to 'Gulf-spec', did he???

technocracy Dec 10th 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8161219)
He didnt ask for money to make your CV up to 'Gulf-spec', did he???

:lol:

Not quite. But he didn't seem to understand my CV and my skills one iota! It kind of stop him dead in his tracks when I told him my usual rates! :lol: Let just say we were oceans apart!

He seem rather put out also when he tried to get me on with the 'well how much tax do you pay?' question when I replied 10%. ;) As I currently live in SE Asia.

But like I said in the compounds thread I've had a reasonable offer in Saudi but it's by far perfect i.e. the housing is about half what I want. Time for a change and all that! :)

gman123 Dec 11th 2009 11:54 am

technocracy

I would like the email address of the guy you spoke to, but as I do not have more than 3 posts I can't send you a PM!

Please can you PM me the email address..

Cheers

technocracy Dec 11th 2009 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by gman123 (Post 8164710)
technocracy

I would like the email address of the guy you spoke to, but as I do not have more than 3 posts I can't send you a PM!

Please can you PM me the email address..

Cheers

PM'd as requested. :)