Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job offer turned bad...next steps?

Job offer turned bad...next steps?

Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:48 am
Just Joined

girloftheworld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer turned bad...next steps?

Need help people!

Received a good offer from firm in Dubai which I accepted. So I quit my job in UK and was preparing to move out but later found out the employer does not keep promises (pay don't come on time, bonus not fulfilled, job doesn't match up etc). So now I'm declining offer.

Advice needed on next steps:
1) I've got a bit behind me to survive for 4-5 months and pretty good work experience. Should I move anyway and find a job when I'm there? - have short-term accomm sorted.
2) Do I wait and get an offer before I move out?

Been to Dubai a few times and a bit of a gutsy (and intelligent) girl from the UK and will do what needed to make it a success (within reason ). Industry HR/Recruitment/Advertising. Worth a go or not?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer turned bad...next steps?

Originally Posted by girloftheworld
Need help people!

Received a good offer from firm in Dubai which I accepted. So I quit my job in UK and was preparing to move out but later found out the employer does not keep promises (pay don't come on time, bonus not fulfilled, job doesn't match up etc). So now I'm declining offer.

Advice needed on next steps:
1) I've got a bit behind me to survive for 4-5 months and pretty good work experience. Should I move anyway and find a job when I'm there? - have short-term accomm sorted.
2) Do I wait and get an offer before I move out?

Been to Dubai a few times and a bit of a gutsy (and intelligent) girl from the UK and will do what needed to make it a success (within reason ). Industry HR/Recruitment/Advertising. Worth a go or not?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks

I would say can you get secure work in the UK - like your old job, the answer being no... then come out and do it, test the water, you never know. If you have been here a few times you know what the place is like and what it is going to cost you to live here! Be aware there are alot of people here looking for work. Get yourself interviews with recruiters for when you arrive, dubai runs on go slow!

How did you hear about the employer here in Dubai....?

Even though ive had a crap time i still would not swap coming out here, its been great, ive met some great people and had a change of life experience, i certainly would do it all again, i would just do a couple of things different, like not buy a fricken car!!!!

Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:33 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
Even though ive had a crap time i still would not swap coming out here, its been great, ive met some great people and had a change of life experience, i certainly would do it all again, i would just do a couple of things different, like not buy a fricken car!!!!

So what's the story with the car?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
So what's the story with the car?
Ive still got it and im saving enough money to take a hit on it but time is against us now and with the increasing redundancies there is more and more cars for sale.... pretty shit situation...
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:56 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
Ive still got it and im saving enough money to take a hit on it but time is against us now and with the increasing redundancies there is more and more cars for sale.... pretty shit situation...
(ahem) insurance job......
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by commander
(ahem) insurance job......

hehe - that was suggested but knowing this country they would blame me for it being nicked!!!!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:28 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

My friends who left recently handed both their cars back to the respective dealers...
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by typical
My friends who left recently handed both their cars back to the respective dealers...
Yes that is the next step - but the hit would be even larger doing so

I dont want to be chased for the next god knows how many years, its going to be bad enough dealing with the taxman!