Job Offer Saudi

Old Jul 9th 2012, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

sunshinegirl76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Offer Saudi

Hello All,

My husband has today been given a job offer for work in Saudi. The offer is as follows;

*Annual basic salary of SAR 276,000
*Transportation allowance SAR 1,500 in addition to SAR 800 welfare car allowance once the family arrive.
*Housing Allowance of SAR 80,000 per year

All other benefits such as travel and medical will of course be included. My question is , is this a good package?.

My second question relates to the racial climate in Saudi. I am black African, raised in the United Kingdom, but my husband is white, has anyone had issues with mixed race marriages out there?.

Thank you in advance for the responses.

Last edited by sunshinegirl76; Jul 10th 2012 at 12:20 am.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Offer Saudi

Hi there

I worked in Riyadh for a western bank between 2010 and 2011.
It would be useful to know what line of work your husband is in and where this job offer is in Saudi.

276k SAR (SAR 23k per month) is OK, but nothing special.
I was on 270k SAR per annum. As a single male, this was enough to live comfortably, but not worth the difficulties of living in Riyadh.
Essentially - there is no Saudi premium in this wage.

The housing allowance will get you only a one bedroom flat on a western compound in Riyadh. That too, just barely.

The car allowance - you will need more than that. Figure SAR 60k per year minimum.

To compound matters, Saudi Arabia is overtly and unapologetically racist.
I am British of South Asian descent, but not Muslim. That is why the package offered to me was less good than to a white westerner. That is just the way it is.

Your husband will be treated far better than you. I am sorry to be so blunt but Saudi Arabia is nowhere like modern UK in attitudes to race.

My sincere advice would be don't do it unless the package is improved. You will face, unfortunately, a lot of discrimination in the malls and airport.

An interesting recent trend is British passport holding Muslims are being treated as well as, if not better, than white Europeans by Saudi employers.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:03 am
Just Joined

sunshinegirl76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi South Londoner, thanks for that. The job would be based in Dammam, but the package wasn't quite right; so we decided against it. Many thanks for all your comments
Old Jul 15th 2012, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

hsyeda is an unknown quantity at this point

any ideas on tabuk uni?