Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

A few questions about moving from Doha to Dubai

A few questions about moving from Doha to Dubai

Old Feb 4th 2018, 6:47 am
Just Joined

VajizzWhole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few questions about moving from Doha to Dubai

Hi all - I am a long-time lurker on this forum but registered to post for the first time. I am early 30s, male, single, working in the corporate world.

I have lived in Doha for 2 years (and gasp, quite enjoyed it, though came here with very low expectations) but have received an offer to work for a company that is both more lucrative and a better career move and will be moving in Dubai in about 1.5 months.

One of the biggest factors of enjoying my life in Doha is the ability to live in a hotel/serviced apartment (albeit with flatmates). I am talking about Intercon, Kempinski, W and even Shangri-la now offering this sort of lifestyle. It is the stereotypical advantage of the expat lifestyle where I can outsource as much of my life admin as possible, and I am fortunate, privileged and very grateful to have the opportunity to do so here in Qatar.

Is there something comparable to the hotel/service apartment culture with flatmates in Dubai or is it "one-step short" of being a hotel and more of a nice apartment complex (where you arrange to pay your utilities and find a cleaner yourself)? I imagine it is the latter but would love something similar to what I have in Doha, ideally in the DIFC as that is where I will be working.

Also, I have been banking with CBQ and have been happy as I believe they offer the most competitive exchange rates from the major banks in Qatar. I am particularly interested in euros at this stage of my life rather than pounds. Is there a specific bank people can recommend in Dubai that is primarily known for competitive exchange rates?

Lastly and oddly enough, I have kept my savings within Qatar for a variety of reasons. With my impending move I have to transfer a decent amount of money and am looking for your recommendations on how to do so. I have an offshore USD account but am primarily interested in Euros. Due to the low USD rate, perhaps it is advisable to transfer to USD now and wait for a moment in the future where the USD strengthens before transferring to Euros? Ideally, I would convert from QAR to AED but the blockade is preventing me from doing so.

Thank you for your time - I have learned a lot by being a lurker on this forum and appreciate all of your insight and comments.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:27 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions about moving from Doha to Dubai

Originally Posted by VajizzWhole
Hi all - I am a long-time lurker on this forum but registered to post for the first time. I am early 30s, male, single, working in the corporate world.

I have lived in Doha for 2 years (and gasp, quite enjoyed it, though came here with very low expectations) but have received an offer to work for a company that is both more lucrative and a better career move and will be moving in Dubai in about 1.5 months.

One of the biggest factors of enjoying my life in Doha is the ability to live in a hotel/serviced apartment (albeit with flatmates). I am talking about Intercon, Kempinski, W and even Shangri-la now offering this sort of lifestyle. It is the stereotypical advantage of the expat lifestyle where I can outsource as much of my life admin as possible, and I am fortunate, privileged and very grateful to have the opportunity to do so here in Qatar.

Is there something comparable to the hotel/service apartment culture with flatmates in Dubai or is it "one-step short" of being a hotel and more of a nice apartment complex (where you arrange to pay your utilities and find a cleaner yourself)? I imagine it is the latter but would love something similar to what I have in Doha, ideally in the DIFC as that is where I will be working.

Also, I have been banking with CBQ and have been happy as I believe they offer the most competitive exchange rates from the major banks in Qatar. I am particularly interested in euros at this stage of my life rather than pounds. Is there a specific bank people can recommend in Dubai that is primarily known for competitive exchange rates?

Lastly and oddly enough, I have kept my savings within Qatar for a variety of reasons. With my impending move I have to transfer a decent amount of money and am looking for your recommendations on how to do so. I have an offshore USD account but am primarily interested in Euros. Due to the low USD rate, perhaps it is advisable to transfer to USD now and wait for a moment in the future where the USD strengthens before transferring to Euros? Ideally, I would convert from QAR to AED but the blockade is preventing me from doing so.

Thank you for your time - I have learned a lot by being a lurker on this forum and appreciate all of your insight and comments.
Hello there. I'm a recent returnee/returner to the Sand Pit of Dubai. I'll answer what I can. In terms of serviced apartments, the area that seems to be most popular is Tecom (also known as Barsha Heights). I don't think it's too far from DIFC and there are metro links. As for sharing a serviced apartment, not sure if that happens. I do know that rents are coming down and I have seen 1-beds advertised for 7-8000 DHS a month.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I love your username, I don't love your cash holding policy.

Get out of QAR and into USD. If you want to gamble on FX then buy your EUR later.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai doesn't do the luxury serviced hotel apartments that you find in Qatar. I live in one with flatmates and the equivalent just doesn't exist, at least at this price level. The apartments do exist but are rarer and far more expensive and you rarely ever meet people who live in them beyond their initial month or so in the UAE.

Regular serviced apartments seem to be much more expensive in the UAE as well. For some reason Qatar has many serviced apartments that are quite large, 3-4 bedrooms, and ideal for sharing with flatmates, whereas in the UAE they're all 1-2 bedrooms for the most part.

UAE rental market operates differently. Very few property come furnished and those that are furnished tend to be crappily furnished and markedly more expensive than the empty apartment next door. You're much better off taking the empty unit and going to Ikea.

Rents are also rarely paid monthly but usually in 1-4 cheques per year. 1 cheque can get you a discount.

Utilities and internet are also rarely included and you pay separately for those.

Your equivalent in the UAE doesn't live in a serviced apartment but a 1-bedroom in an Emaar property in Downtown or Marina.

Banking: Emirates NBD is the way to go. I banked with them and they were always great. Had credit/debit cards that gave me discounts at many restaurants. Exchange rates quite competitive. Exchange rates in the UAE are more similar than dissimilar and all are as competitive as you can find (except the airport).

As for moving your money, I'll let wiser people advise you on that. I move all my earnings offshore both into USD and pounds and play off that, and never keep more than the minimum in the country.

Good luck with the move. Dubai is an entirely different beast than Doha. And it's also more expensive so watch out!

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Feb 4th 2018 at 9:43 am.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Hello there. I'm a recent returnee/returner to the Sand Pit of Dubai. I'll answer what I can. In terms of serviced apartments, the area that seems to be most popular is Tecom (also known as Barsha Heights). I don't think it's too far from DIFC and there are metro links. As for sharing a serviced apartment, not sure if that happens. I do know that rents are coming down and I have seen 1-beds advertised for 7-8000 DHS a month.
You can pay the 7-8k for a very basic serviced in a crappy building or for the same amount get into a luxury Emaar property. You just need to furnish it! I can see why some would go for serviced but I've viewed a few myself and the cheap ones were just not appealing. Usually dark and gloomy, crappy furniture, no views but the building a meter away, tiny pool.

For those who don't know, in Qatar there are fully serviced hotel apartments like the Kempinski where you can get a massive 4-bedroom suite fully and nicely furnished, daily housekeeping, regular linen change, discounts at hotel restaurants, and the rent is now averaging around 5-6k per bedroom. Intercon is similar. You ain't getting that in the UAE.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 10:14 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
You can pay the 7-8k for a very basic serviced in a crappy building or for the same amount get into a luxury Emaar property. You just need to furnish it! I can see why some would go for serviced but I've viewed a few myself and the cheap ones were just not appealing. Usually dark and gloomy, crappy furniture, no views but the building a meter away, tiny pool.

For those who don't know, in Qatar there are fully serviced hotel apartments like the Kempinski where you can get a massive 4-bedroom suite fully and nicely furnished, daily housekeeping, regular linen change, discounts at hotel restaurants, and the rent is now averaging around 5-6k per bedroom. Intercon is similar. You ain't getting that in the UAE.
True. I went to see one and got Westerner's Discount (i.e. the price went up). As you say, it was dark, no view to speak of and a crappy pool on the roof. You do have to add DEWA, TV and internet to your costs if you rent a non-serviced place. The other option is a flat-share like I'm doing. Fully furnished (not too cheaply), all bills in. 6k a month in a good location on the Palm. I'm sure you'd be able to get cheaper in JLT/Marina.

Just did a quick search. There are rooms on there for 4k. Only worry would be high floors.

Last edited by littlejimmy; Feb 4th 2018 at 10:16 am.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Hi all, thank you for the informative responses. I imagine the deal wouldn't be as sweet in Dubai as it is in Doha. Being a homebody and having this opportunity here in Qatar is perhaps one of the major reasons why I have been enjoying my time here too!

So based on the responses received so far, my own flat in an Emaar building is the way to go taking into account furnishing and setting up utilities. However being a true minimalist expat (I am happiest when my whole life fits in 2 suitcases), and I insist on flatsharing, at least for the first few months, what is the best way to go finding something like that? Dubizzle website?

Also, is flatsharing common at all in DIFC area in buildings like Skygardens and Index Tower?

I should add that currently here in Doha, I live in a luxury flat with flatmates, great view, full cleaning twice a week, walking distance to work, great services (can get towels, toothbrushes, slippers, bath robes, even batteries by calling 24-hour housekeeping) all for the price of QAR 6000! It really is such good value for money and quality living for that price!
Old Feb 4th 2018, 11:10 am
Excess Baggage

Hi all, thank you for the informative responses. I imagine the deal wouldn't be as sweet in Dubai as it is in Doha. Being a homebody and having this opportunity here in Qatar is perhaps one of the major reasons why I have been enjoying my time here too!

So based on the responses received so far, my own flat in an Emaar building is the way to go taking into account furnishing and setting up utilities. However being a true minimalist expat (I am happiest when my whole life fits in 2 suitcases), and I insist on flatsharing, at least for the first few months, what is the best way to go finding something like that? Dubizzle website?

Also, is flatsharing common at all in DIFC area in buildings like Skygardens and Index Tower?
I found mine on Dubizzle. You can search by area, so stick DIFC in and have a a quick shufty.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

I should add that currently here in Doha, I live in a luxury flat with flatmates, great view, full cleaning twice a week, walking distance to work, great services (can get towels, toothbrushes, slippers, bath robes, even batteries by calling 24-hour housekeeping) all for the price of QAR 6000! It really is such good value for money and quality living for that price!
You're not getting that in Dubai.

You can find western flatshares. Dubizzle is a decent place to start. But also join the facebook groups for Marina, Palm, Downtown, and post a message saying you're looking for a flatshare. How the place will be furnished is subjective but they usually come with weekly maid service and include all the bills. Be aware there are two types of flatshares, one is where the landlord rents the room to whoever wants it and the flatmates have no control over who moves in, and the other is effectively a group of friends or like-minded people living together (similar to, say, a group sharing a big flat in Asas Tower in West Bay). You want the latter.

Moving into a flatshare for the first 3-6 months while you settle into Dubai is always a good idea. Just don't expect to find fancy hotel apartment flatshares!

There are flatshares in Downtown and along Sheikh Zayed around DIFC. But don't forget that the metro exists, too.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Feb 4th 2018 at 12:19 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by littlejimmy

Just did a quick search. There are rooms on there for 4k. Only worry would be high floors.
That's probably just a bedroom with no kitchen or separate living areas. A hotel room. Still a decent deal if you don't need any of that.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your responses so far, they are informative. I do not usually cook (and tend to work long hours) so a room is definitely an option given the right location/building amenities.

Ideally, I will be looking to flatshare and pay all-inclusive price of AED 6,000 - 7,000 as my starting point for accommodation in Dubai. I will keep my eye out for relevant posts on Dubizzle!
Old Feb 4th 2018, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Thanks for your responses so far, they are informative. I do not usually cook (and tend to work long hours) so a room is definitely an option given the right location/building amenities.

Ideally, I will be looking to flatshare and pay all-inclusive price of AED 6,000 - 7,000 as my starting point for accommodation in Dubai. I will keep my eye out for relevant posts on Dubizzle!
That should probably get you a room in a decent flat share in the nicer areas.

Index tower looks sick.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with the others - the only serviced apartments I knew of were pretty crummy, and I think I can only remember two or three people who opted for one over an empty rented flat.

I would also encourage you to review your policy of keeping your money in QAR (or AED when you leave). I was always very uncomfortable keeping more than a token amount of money at a bank in a country where someone could just snap their fingers, for whatever reason, and freeze your account.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Friend of mine has taken a share via Airbnb. 6.6k a month all in for a decent place in the marina. Other room is also on Airbnb.

New house mates every week ensures you don’t get annoyed by them over time and fair chance it’s just you in there when the other room is empty.

Got to be able to lock your door though.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks Millhouse. I never thought of Airbnb as an affordable option for a long-term lease, so I will definitely give it a look!

carcajou, I am in the process of moving out my money. As I am based in continental Europe, I was waiting for the Euro to go down (it's the highest I remember it in my 2 years here), but I will wait for a more fortuitous moment to convert to EUR. I agree it is odd that I keep my money in Qatar!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.