Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Dubai for my wife, help please.

Job offer in Dubai for my wife, help please.

Old Jun 28th 2021, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer in Dubai for my wife, help please.

Originally Posted by pratt123
HI All,

Hit a major brick wall and need some advice please. Everything has been progressing at our end and we were on track to move to Dubai end of July/beginning of August. Currently, final attestation/employment visa processes going on.

However, this morning, my employer has basically turned around and said they cannot support me working remotely from there due to tax implications, potential risk of corporate entity to be set up there and other standard responses around insurance, duty of care etc.

Whilst I'm trying to talk my way through this suggesting me working out there in a non-Business Development, non-Sales role is unlikely to create a permanent establishment out there, I was wondering if anyone on here could advice on Plan B? Is there literally anything else I could look to do? If I went for a 1 year Freelance Visa, does that negate the need for Corporate entity etc? Or if I were to look for an apartment in the FreeZone, would that make any difference?

Really dejected that it's come down to this after months of anticipation and when things were actually materialising.

Thanks All.
20k will get you a company with 1 or 2 visas in a RAK freezone, you might even get a bank account. My company does nothing but hold some equity.

Old Jun 28th 2021, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

pratt123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
20k will get you a company with 1 or 2 visas in a RAK freezone, you might even get a bank account. My company does nothing but hold some equity.
HI Millhouse - thanks for the prompt response.

Is this something I have to do or my employer? How would it work in practice? For instance, we're considering to live in JLT and it's a free trade zone I believe. Any steer on what I'd need to do next would really help - I also need to articulate to my company that this approach de-risks them.

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2021, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pratt123
HI Millhouse - thanks for the prompt response.

Is this something I have to do or my employer? How would it work in practice? For instance, we're considering to live in JLT and it's a free trade zone I believe. Any steer on what I'd need to do next would really help - I also need to articulate to my company that this approach de-risks them.

Thanks
To be honest, I answered your question. I'm not sure it really solves the issue but it could.

Where you live makes no difference, it is all about the company. There are cheaper freezones such as Ajman etc. Mine is in RAK, I live in Dubai and I'm employed outside of UAE.

It sounds like they have two issues: (1) being responsible for you (insurance etc), and (2) you not being controlled or screwing up etc.

I would suggest you set up a company, sponsor yourself and they contract you on as a consultant via the company. This would get them off the hook of of any responsibilities for you, but would probably increase their "control risks". The question will be if they want to work with some small company in the UAE or not.

Old Jun 28th 2021, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
To be honest, I answered your question. I'm not sure it really solves the issue but it could.

Where you live makes no difference, it is all about the company. There are cheaper freezones such as Ajman etc. Mine is in RAK, I live in Dubai and I'm employed outside of UAE.

It sounds like they have two issues: (1) being responsible for you (insurance etc), and (2) you not being controlled or screwing up etc.

I would suggest you set up a company, sponsor yourself and they contract you on as a consultant via the company. This would get them off the hook of of any responsibilities for you, but would probably increase their "control risks". The question will be if they want to work with some small company in the UAE or not.
Thanks - it clearly isn't (2). I report to the CFO and he's pretty chill about it all.. It's just HR stating there's a potential Permanent establishment being set up in the UAE if I move across and work from there, which could then mean potential Corporate Entity to be set up. Apparently, this is as per advice from Deloitte to them. They also mentioned how they would've to create a shadow Payroll for this? I'm not sure why though.

The company won't be willing to contract via a smaller firm from there or change my contract etc. It really has to be above board and relatively simple (where there's no cost implication for the company) to make this work.
Old Jun 29th 2021, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

Sounds like the CFO is being a coward and is blaming HR. If anyone is talking to Deloitte about PE's and tax exposure, it's him, not HR.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Planforeverything is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the outcome of your potential move? I’m looking to do the same as you (WFH for my U.K. employer for 2 years whilst my husband works for a UAE based company). Were your U.K. company willing to do it? I work in a senior role for a FTSE100 company and would love to know if it worked out for you as sounds like we’re in a similar boat
Old Aug 31st 2021, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Planforeverything
What was the outcome of your potential move? I’m looking to do the same as you (WFH for my U.K. employer for 2 years whilst my husband works for a UAE based company). Were your U.K. company willing to do it? I work in a senior role for a FTSE100 company and would love to know if it worked out for you as sounds like we’re in a similar boat
maybe worth checking this thread

Work for UK employer remotely whilst on Tourist Visa

the OP is leaving his job.
Old Aug 31st 2021, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the only thing that will stop you will be internal policies of your employer and the usual weakness in decision making that comes with big companies. Talk to them early on.

Old Aug 31st 2021, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the only thing that will stop you will be internal policies of your employer and the usual weakness in decision making that comes with big companies. Talk to them early on.

Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Planforeverything

As someone else mentioned, I did have to resign my job due to policy more than anything else. They feared allowing one person to do this in these times would open up Pandora's box for the rest of the organisation.

Having said that, they have now reached out to me asking if I wanted to stick around for 6 to 12 months on a 'contract' basis, which is interesting, as I'm now trying to figure out what the best way to approach this is! Clearly, will lose the benefits of being permanent, but will on the other hand, hopefully get them to cover any associated travel back to the UK for work.

Hope this helps.

On a related note, does anyone know the best way to approach the contract route is? If I were to start a limited company in the UK and get a day-rate, then I'm not sure how that would affect my non-resident status/tax breaks by living in the UAE. Secondly, there may be an implication around IR35 as well. My initial gut is to go with a Fixed Term Contract (FTC) which would almost be akin to a normal contract without the need for a limited company? Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
P.