Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Dubai for my wife, help please.

Job offer in Dubai for my wife, help please.

Old Apr 7th 2021, 9:24 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer in Dubai for my wife, help please.

Originally Posted by pratt123 View Post
So far, we've only looked at Executive Towers at Business Bay (not sure why!). Anything else worth looking at?

I'd love to live in Downtown but much better value for money at Business Bay looking at some of the rents. Ultimately, the more money we save on rent (although I do want a minimum standard), the more disposable we'll have in DXB to spend on all the other fun stuff. No doubt, the kids will need to be constantly entertained too, so that's not cheap as the UK!

We're ideally looking for a 3bed flat, with a study/maid's room and in pretty good condition. If near a metro, then great. Short listed areas are Business Bay, Downtown, JLC?, Marina (although too far from Old Dubai/Downtown).
I knew you'd say that. I lived in Exec Towers for 8 years, in two apartments in the same tower.
Attracted originally because good price and HUGE.
Left absolutely hating living there, not because they were starting to get tired and a bit old, but the community was not something we wanted to be in anymore.

Our neighbours were scum of the earth (which was bad luck but visiting other levels we weren't the only ones with this issued) the place stank permanently of garlic and onion, the facilities are just a bit tired, the shops and area beneath were pretty crappy and overrun with scummy kids. Generally the place had gone from a pretty cool, big development to something more akin to the sub-continent. Remember - giant apartment and low cost = a large number of people from one family in a one bedroom place.

I've tried to be polite there but hope you get the message.

What Millhouse said is fair - but also depends on where the Mrs will be working? Can't remember if it's been said.

Old Apr 7th 2021, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

pratt123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I knew you'd say that. I lived in Exec Towers for 8 years, in two apartments in the same tower.
Attracted originally because good price and HUGE.
Left absolutely hating living there, not because they were starting to get tired and a bit old, but the community was not something we wanted to be in anymore.

Our neighbours were scum of the earth (which was bad luck but visiting other levels we weren't the only ones with this issued) the place stank permanently of garlic and onion, the facilities are just a bit tired, the shops and area beneath were pretty crappy and overrun with scummy kids. Generally the place had gone from a pretty cool, big development to something more akin to the sub-continent. Remember - giant apartment and low cost = a large number of people from one family in a one bedroom place.

I've tried to be polite there but hope you get the message.

What Millhouse said is fair - but also depends on where the Mrs will be working? Can't remember if it's been said.
Ouch! Pretty scathing that! Is Downtown very touristy? And much to do for the kids (besides shelling £££ to get them to theme parks etc.) ? (Sorry, assumed you'd kids, but could be completely wrong)

Mrs will hopefully be working at Media City - hence why Business Bay/Downtown/Marina was where our heads were at initially. I'm thinking 120k/AED (incl chillers) annually, not sure if that's going to get us anything reasonable in one of the better parts of town though. Worst case, we may have to drop down to 2 bed + study, considering the intention is to be here for 2 years to begin with.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
If you like your kids you'll get a 3 bed in the Greens. Centrally located, selection of decent pools and places to ride scooters with shade. Business Bay / Downtown is a concrete jungle (I lived there and loved it but not with kids).

If you want to save some coin, be near the city and have some (but less) greenery, look at also Meydan Polo Residences. Motor city also solid for families.

Remember the more parks and pools you have on your doorstep, the less you have to spend entertaining the snot-monsters.
Thanks, will check those out too!
Old Apr 7th 2021, 11:45 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pratt123 View Post
Ouch! Pretty scathing that! Is Downtown very touristy? And much to do for the kids (besides shelling £££ to get them to theme parks etc.) ? (Sorry, assumed you'd kids, but could be completely wrong)

Mrs will hopefully be working at Media City - hence why Business Bay/Downtown/Marina was where our heads were at initially. I'm thinking 120k/AED (incl chillers) annually, not sure if that's going to get us anything reasonable in one of the better parts of town though. Worst case, we may have to drop down to 2 bed + study, considering the intention is to be here for 2 years to begin with.
I love Downtown but I work in downtown and live here so it's easy for me.
120k is what we're paying for a 2 bed in a nice, new Emaar block. Not one of the mega premium Emaar ones but a good one and better sized than most of their product at the moment.
120k in downtown for a 3 bed is unlikely I think, but certainly achievable elsewhere.
Loads to do in downtown in general but we don't have kids so basically I'm telling you there are several watering holes worth visiting. There's parks and shit too though....and a slide and some water based things and whatnot. The Mall is a great entertainer too.
Media City is the 'wrong' way for traffic. Granted Covid has made it better but in the evenings it used to be sticky all the way from Internet City to BB/Downtown and beyond.
Millhouse's shout of the Greens would combat this well.
Failing that could go somewhere on the Palm, maybe Golden Mile? Shoreline? Or the marina - JBR are huge but traffic in and out of the marina in general is enough to make me want to move to the moon instead.

Use Property Finder as your searching tool, I think it's the best for finding places to rent.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Good plan. Can't do much else without the first being workable and the second being covered.
Only then, can you start looking at spending on 3 - do the other work first and at least be prepared to go and get advice with a list of questions and more knowledge behind you.

I can't help with the kids and wife in the move, but I did bring some extremely precious cargo when I first came; I had two suitcases (playstation in one of them) and some golf clubs. Don't need much else.
So a few updates to this.

1) My wife has been told that we ll be on dependent visas (guessing that's good).
2) Due to some internal politics, she will now have to formally be interviewed by HR and an Emirati Director (who actually reports into the person who contacted my wife) Hopefully this is a formality only and egos won't come into the mix to prevent an offer!
3) The offer can only be communicated by HR, so is likely to be after the interview and if she s successful.
4) Relocation package is likely to entail 2 weeks accommodation, paid cargo, paid flights, visas etc sorted. Don't think there s anything more than this.
5) I spoke to my internal HR guy and it strangely seems relatively straightforward. Absolutely no intention of creating a new corporate structure in the UAE, so I d still be on UK payroll with perhaps an addendum to UK contract taking into account the 2 year move.
One new info he mentioned was that if I were to move to an NT code, whilst I would benefit from income being tax free, I would lose out on pension contributions by the company. My company is pretty generous with pensions (involuntary contribution of 10% + match upto a further 3% ) As it stands, that's 13% pension I'd miss out on, although I suspect the income tax I pay is a lot higher in comparison. So one I need to do the math on.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

I love Downtown but I work in downtown and live here so it's easy for me.
120k is what we're paying for a 2 bed in a nice, new Emaar block. Not one of the mega premium Emaar ones but a good one and better sized than most of their product at the moment.
120k in downtown for a 3 bed is unlikely I think, but certainly achievable elsewhere.
Loads to do in downtown in general but we don't have kids so basically I'm telling you there are several watering holes worth visiting. There's parks and shit too though....and a slide and some water based things and whatnot. The Mall is a great entertainer too.
Media City is the 'wrong' way for traffic. Granted Covid has made it better but in the evenings it used to be sticky all the way from Internet City to BB/Downtown and beyond.
Millhouse's shout of the Greens would combat this well.
Failing that could go somewhere on the Palm, maybe Golden Mile? Shoreline? Or the marina - JBR are huge but traffic in and out of the marina in general is enough to make me want to move to the moon instead.

Use Property Finder as your searching tool, I think it's the best for finding places to rent.
Getting stuck in traffic has to be one of the worst things over there. I've been there a couple of times in the past and have experienced it and it's horrible. Hence, why we're trying to stay close to a metro if possible which makes her commute relatively painless and also means she can come home at a reasonable time to see the kids etc too, rather than be stuck at a grid lock!

Will check out those other areas you mention too, thanks.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

The Greens/Views are directly opposite Sheikh Zayed from Media City. Easiest commute in Dubai. Living Downtown means commuting and it's not a reverse commute and the traffic in/out of Media City can be pretty backed up. Things may change with COVID but in the old days rush hour traffic on Sheikh Zayed southbound in the AM and northbound in the PM was backed up for kilometers. I lived in the Greens/Views most of my time in Dubai and wouldn't have wanted to live anywhere else as it had the perfect balance of everything for me. Quiet but just a hop from the Marina, 10 minutes from Downtown on the weekends, and very well maintained.

Apartments in the Greens/Views vary from midrise to high rises. Some of the midrises are older and more basic, others are nicer. High rises were luxury 10 years ago but seem to still be nicely maintained. The whole community is Emaar, the same developer as Downtown, so there's a minimum standard of quality in upkeep that keeps it in good condition. Nice greenery and parks and pools.

https://www.propertyfinder.ae/en/ren...1-8014264.html for a big 3-bed in the midrises.

Some of the nicer midrises overlook the lake in the middle of the Greens/Views and have massive outdoor terraces and balconies which are very nice. And shaded!

In terms of proximity to work and cost-benefit versus quality, you're not going to beat the Greens/Views. Just to clarify the name, Greens is one half the community and consists of midrise apartment quadrangles, the Views is the other half of the community and has the highrises and nicer midrises and the lake, but for all practical purposes it's one community under one management. And it's chiller free, which means no massive AC bills

Downtown is better for couples/singles although families can live there. Downtown apartments are small. Downtown can be great but the tradeoff of smaller apartments and busier traffic in/out and commuting for your wife means it's better as a place to visit every now and then on the weekends.

If you want a live in maid, then it's a wee bit problematic as most apartment maids rooms are tiny and barely any better than a broom cupboard (I am not exaggerating). What people have done is to use one of the regular bedrooms for the maid. In your case, for a 3-bed flat, one room for you and the wife, one for the kids and one for the maid. Or get a 4-bed flat, but those are scarcer and more expensive. Then there's always the issue of a spare room for visitors. You can get around this issue by having a live-out maid (more expensive) or ponying up for a hotel/Airbnb flat for visitors. Flexibility is key here.

However you decide it, I'd strongly recommend sticking to a flat for your first year in Dubai as villas are much more high maintenance and come with a lot of hidden costs while flats help keep expenditures under control.

By the way, has anyone told you rents are usually paid in 1-4 cheques for the year? Unless things have greatly changed. Generally speaking, the fewer the cheques, the lower the rent. 120k in one cheque, 140k in four cheques, for example.

Old Apr 7th 2021, 6:12 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
The Greens/Views are directly opposite Sheikh Zayed from Media City. Easiest commute in Dubai. Living Downtown means commuting and it's not a reverse commute and the traffic in/out of Media City can be pretty backed up. Things may change with COVID but in the old days rush hour traffic on Sheikh Zayed southbound in the AM and northbound in the PM was backed up for kilometers. I lived in the Greens/Views most of my time in Dubai and wouldn't have wanted to live anywhere else as it had the perfect balance of everything for me. Quiet but just a hop from the Marina, 10 minutes from Downtown on the weekends, and very well maintained.

Apartments in the Greens/Views vary from midrise to high rises. Some of the midrises are older and more basic, others are nicer. High rises were luxury 10 years ago but seem to still be nicely maintained. The whole community is Emaar, the same developer as Downtown, so there's a minimum standard of quality in upkeep that keeps it in good condition. Nice greenery and parks and pools.

https://www.propertyfinder.ae/en/ren...1-8014264.html for a big 3-bed in the midrises.

Some of the nicer midrises overlook the lake in the middle of the Greens/Views and have massive outdoor terraces and balconies which are very nice. And shaded!

In terms of proximity to work and cost-benefit versus quality, you're not going to beat the Greens/Views. Just to clarify the name, Greens is one half the community and consists of midrise apartment quadrangles, the Views is the other half of the community and has the highrises and nicer midrises and the lake, but for all practical purposes it's one community under one management. And it's chiller free, which means no massive AC bills

Downtown is better for couples/singles although families can live there. Downtown apartments are small. Downtown can be great but the tradeoff of smaller apartments and busier traffic in/out and commuting for your wife means it's better as a place to visit every now and then on the weekends.

If you want a live in maid, then it's a wee bit problematic as most apartment maids rooms are tiny and barely any better than a broom cupboard (I am not exaggerating). What people have done is to use one of the regular bedrooms for the maid. In your case, for a 3-bed flat, one room for you and the wife, one for the kids and one for the maid. Or get a 4-bed flat, but those are scarcer and more expensive. Then there's always the issue of a spare room for visitors. You can get around this issue by having a live-out maid (more expensive) or ponying up for a hotel/Airbnb flat for visitors. Flexibility is key here.

However you decide it, I'd strongly recommend sticking to a flat for your first year in Dubai as villas are much more high maintenance and come with a lot of hidden costs while flats help keep expenditures under control.

By the way, has anyone told you rents are usually paid in 1-4 cheques for the year? Unless things have greatly changed. Generally speaking, the fewer the cheques, the lower the rent. 120k in one cheque, 140k in four cheques, for example.
The maids will suck up a broom cupboard. Treat her well in other areas.