Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Dubai for my wife, help please.

Job offer in Dubai for my wife, help please.

Old Apr 7th 2021, 9:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Job offer in Dubai for my wife, help please.

Originally Posted by pratt123
So far, we've only looked at Executive Towers at Business Bay (not sure why!). Anything else worth looking at?

I'd love to live in Downtown but much better value for money at Business Bay looking at some of the rents. Ultimately, the more money we save on rent (although I do want a minimum standard), the more disposable we'll have in DXB to spend on all the other fun stuff. No doubt, the kids will need to be constantly entertained too, so that's not cheap as the UK!

We're ideally looking for a 3bed flat, with a study/maid's room and in pretty good condition. If near a metro, then great. Short listed areas are Business Bay, Downtown, JLC?, Marina (although too far from Old Dubai/Downtown).
I knew you'd say that. I lived in Exec Towers for 8 years, in two apartments in the same tower.
Attracted originally because good price and HUGE.
Left absolutely hating living there, not because they were starting to get tired and a bit old, but the community was not something we wanted to be in anymore.

Our neighbours were scum of the earth (which was bad luck but visiting other levels we weren't the only ones with this issued) the place stank permanently of garlic and onion, the facilities are just a bit tired, the shops and area beneath were pretty crappy and overrun with scummy kids. Generally the place had gone from a pretty cool, big development to something more akin to the sub-continent. Remember - giant apartment and low cost = a large number of people from one family in a one bedroom place.

I've tried to be polite there but hope you get the message.

What Millhouse said is fair - but also depends on where the Mrs will be working? Can't remember if it's been said.

Old Apr 7th 2021, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

pratt123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
I knew you'd say that. I lived in Exec Towers for 8 years, in two apartments in the same tower.
Attracted originally because good price and HUGE.
Left absolutely hating living there, not because they were starting to get tired and a bit old, but the community was not something we wanted to be in anymore.

Our neighbours were scum of the earth (which was bad luck but visiting other levels we weren't the only ones with this issued) the place stank permanently of garlic and onion, the facilities are just a bit tired, the shops and area beneath were pretty crappy and overrun with scummy kids. Generally the place had gone from a pretty cool, big development to something more akin to the sub-continent. Remember - giant apartment and low cost = a large number of people from one family in a one bedroom place.

I've tried to be polite there but hope you get the message.

What Millhouse said is fair - but also depends on where the Mrs will be working? Can't remember if it's been said.
Ouch! Pretty scathing that! Is Downtown very touristy? And much to do for the kids (besides shelling £££ to get them to theme parks etc.) ? (Sorry, assumed you'd kids, but could be completely wrong)

Mrs will hopefully be working at Media City - hence why Business Bay/Downtown/Marina was where our heads were at initially. I'm thinking 120k/AED (incl chillers) annually, not sure if that's going to get us anything reasonable in one of the better parts of town though. Worst case, we may have to drop down to 2 bed + study, considering the intention is to be here for 2 years to begin with.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
If you like your kids you'll get a 3 bed in the Greens. Centrally located, selection of decent pools and places to ride scooters with shade. Business Bay / Downtown is a concrete jungle (I lived there and loved it but not with kids).

If you want to save some coin, be near the city and have some (but less) greenery, look at also Meydan Polo Residences. Motor city also solid for families.

Remember the more parks and pools you have on your doorstep, the less you have to spend entertaining the snot-monsters.
Thanks, will check those out too!
Old Apr 7th 2021, 11:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Ouch! Pretty scathing that! Is Downtown very touristy? And much to do for the kids (besides shelling £££ to get them to theme parks etc.) ? (Sorry, assumed you'd kids, but could be completely wrong)

Mrs will hopefully be working at Media City - hence why Business Bay/Downtown/Marina was where our heads were at initially. I'm thinking 120k/AED (incl chillers) annually, not sure if that's going to get us anything reasonable in one of the better parts of town though. Worst case, we may have to drop down to 2 bed + study, considering the intention is to be here for 2 years to begin with.
I love Downtown but I work in downtown and live here so it's easy for me.
120k is what we're paying for a 2 bed in a nice, new Emaar block. Not one of the mega premium Emaar ones but a good one and better sized than most of their product at the moment.
120k in downtown for a 3 bed is unlikely I think, but certainly achievable elsewhere.
Loads to do in downtown in general but we don't have kids so basically I'm telling you there are several watering holes worth visiting. There's parks and shit too though....and a slide and some water based things and whatnot. The Mall is a great entertainer too.
Media City is the 'wrong' way for traffic. Granted Covid has made it better but in the evenings it used to be sticky all the way from Internet City to BB/Downtown and beyond.
Millhouse's shout of the Greens would combat this well.
Failing that could go somewhere on the Palm, maybe Golden Mile? Shoreline? Or the marina - JBR are huge but traffic in and out of the marina in general is enough to make me want to move to the moon instead.

Use Property Finder as your searching tool, I think it's the best for finding places to rent.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Good plan. Can't do much else without the first being workable and the second being covered.
Only then, can you start looking at spending on 3 - do the other work first and at least be prepared to go and get advice with a list of questions and more knowledge behind you.

I can't help with the kids and wife in the move, but I did bring some extremely precious cargo when I first came; I had two suitcases (playstation in one of them) and some golf clubs. Don't need much else.
So a few updates to this.

1) My wife has been told that we ll be on dependent visas (guessing that's good).
2) Due to some internal politics, she will now have to formally be interviewed by HR and an Emirati Director (who actually reports into the person who contacted my wife) Hopefully this is a formality only and egos won't come into the mix to prevent an offer!
3) The offer can only be communicated by HR, so is likely to be after the interview and if she s successful.
4) Relocation package is likely to entail 2 weeks accommodation, paid cargo, paid flights, visas etc sorted. Don't think there s anything more than this.
5) I spoke to my internal HR guy and it strangely seems relatively straightforward. Absolutely no intention of creating a new corporate structure in the UAE, so I d still be on UK payroll with perhaps an addendum to UK contract taking into account the 2 year move.
One new info he mentioned was that if I were to move to an NT code, whilst I would benefit from income being tax free, I would lose out on pension contributions by the company. My company is pretty generous with pensions (involuntary contribution of 10% + match upto a further 3% ) As it stands, that's 13% pension I'd miss out on, although I suspect the income tax I pay is a lot higher in comparison. So one I need to do the math on.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

I love Downtown but I work in downtown and live here so it's easy for me.
120k is what we're paying for a 2 bed in a nice, new Emaar block. Not one of the mega premium Emaar ones but a good one and better sized than most of their product at the moment.
120k in downtown for a 3 bed is unlikely I think, but certainly achievable elsewhere.
Loads to do in downtown in general but we don't have kids so basically I'm telling you there are several watering holes worth visiting. There's parks and shit too though....and a slide and some water based things and whatnot. The Mall is a great entertainer too.
Media City is the 'wrong' way for traffic. Granted Covid has made it better but in the evenings it used to be sticky all the way from Internet City to BB/Downtown and beyond.
Millhouse's shout of the Greens would combat this well.
Failing that could go somewhere on the Palm, maybe Golden Mile? Shoreline? Or the marina - JBR are huge but traffic in and out of the marina in general is enough to make me want to move to the moon instead.

Use Property Finder as your searching tool, I think it's the best for finding places to rent.
Getting stuck in traffic has to be one of the worst things over there. I've been there a couple of times in the past and have experienced it and it's horrible. Hence, why we're trying to stay close to a metro if possible which makes her commute relatively painless and also means she can come home at a reasonable time to see the kids etc too, rather than be stuck at a grid lock!

Will check out those other areas you mention too, thanks.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

The Greens/Views are directly opposite Sheikh Zayed from Media City. Easiest commute in Dubai. Living Downtown means commuting and it's not a reverse commute and the traffic in/out of Media City can be pretty backed up. Things may change with COVID but in the old days rush hour traffic on Sheikh Zayed southbound in the AM and northbound in the PM was backed up for kilometers. I lived in the Greens/Views most of my time in Dubai and wouldn't have wanted to live anywhere else as it had the perfect balance of everything for me. Quiet but just a hop from the Marina, 10 minutes from Downtown on the weekends, and very well maintained.

Apartments in the Greens/Views vary from midrise to high rises. Some of the midrises are older and more basic, others are nicer. High rises were luxury 10 years ago but seem to still be nicely maintained. The whole community is Emaar, the same developer as Downtown, so there's a minimum standard of quality in upkeep that keeps it in good condition. Nice greenery and parks and pools.

https://www.propertyfinder.ae/en/ren...1-8014264.html for a big 3-bed in the midrises.

Some of the nicer midrises overlook the lake in the middle of the Greens/Views and have massive outdoor terraces and balconies which are very nice. And shaded!

In terms of proximity to work and cost-benefit versus quality, you're not going to beat the Greens/Views. Just to clarify the name, Greens is one half the community and consists of midrise apartment quadrangles, the Views is the other half of the community and has the highrises and nicer midrises and the lake, but for all practical purposes it's one community under one management. And it's chiller free, which means no massive AC bills

Downtown is better for couples/singles although families can live there. Downtown apartments are small. Downtown can be great but the tradeoff of smaller apartments and busier traffic in/out and commuting for your wife means it's better as a place to visit every now and then on the weekends.

If you want a live in maid, then it's a wee bit problematic as most apartment maids rooms are tiny and barely any better than a broom cupboard (I am not exaggerating). What people have done is to use one of the regular bedrooms for the maid. In your case, for a 3-bed flat, one room for you and the wife, one for the kids and one for the maid. Or get a 4-bed flat, but those are scarcer and more expensive. Then there's always the issue of a spare room for visitors. You can get around this issue by having a live-out maid (more expensive) or ponying up for a hotel/Airbnb flat for visitors. Flexibility is key here.

However you decide it, I'd strongly recommend sticking to a flat for your first year in Dubai as villas are much more high maintenance and come with a lot of hidden costs while flats help keep expenditures under control.

By the way, has anyone told you rents are usually paid in 1-4 cheques for the year? Unless things have greatly changed. Generally speaking, the fewer the cheques, the lower the rent. 120k in one cheque, 140k in four cheques, for example.

Old Apr 7th 2021, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
The Greens/Views are directly opposite Sheikh Zayed from Media City. Easiest commute in Dubai. Living Downtown means commuting and it's not a reverse commute and the traffic in/out of Media City can be pretty backed up. Things may change with COVID but in the old days rush hour traffic on Sheikh Zayed southbound in the AM and northbound in the PM was backed up for kilometers. I lived in the Greens/Views most of my time in Dubai and wouldn't have wanted to live anywhere else as it had the perfect balance of everything for me. Quiet but just a hop from the Marina, 10 minutes from Downtown on the weekends, and very well maintained.

Apartments in the Greens/Views vary from midrise to high rises. Some of the midrises are older and more basic, others are nicer. High rises were luxury 10 years ago but seem to still be nicely maintained. The whole community is Emaar, the same developer as Downtown, so there's a minimum standard of quality in upkeep that keeps it in good condition. Nice greenery and parks and pools.

https://www.propertyfinder.ae/en/ren...1-8014264.html for a big 3-bed in the midrises.

Some of the nicer midrises overlook the lake in the middle of the Greens/Views and have massive outdoor terraces and balconies which are very nice. And shaded!

In terms of proximity to work and cost-benefit versus quality, you're not going to beat the Greens/Views. Just to clarify the name, Greens is one half the community and consists of midrise apartment quadrangles, the Views is the other half of the community and has the highrises and nicer midrises and the lake, but for all practical purposes it's one community under one management. And it's chiller free, which means no massive AC bills

Downtown is better for couples/singles although families can live there. Downtown apartments are small. Downtown can be great but the tradeoff of smaller apartments and busier traffic in/out and commuting for your wife means it's better as a place to visit every now and then on the weekends.

If you want a live in maid, then it's a wee bit problematic as most apartment maids rooms are tiny and barely any better than a broom cupboard (I am not exaggerating). What people have done is to use one of the regular bedrooms for the maid. In your case, for a 3-bed flat, one room for you and the wife, one for the kids and one for the maid. Or get a 4-bed flat, but those are scarcer and more expensive. Then there's always the issue of a spare room for visitors. You can get around this issue by having a live-out maid (more expensive) or ponying up for a hotel/Airbnb flat for visitors. Flexibility is key here.

However you decide it, I'd strongly recommend sticking to a flat for your first year in Dubai as villas are much more high maintenance and come with a lot of hidden costs while flats help keep expenditures under control.

By the way, has anyone told you rents are usually paid in 1-4 cheques for the year? Unless things have greatly changed. Generally speaking, the fewer the cheques, the lower the rent. 120k in one cheque, 140k in four cheques, for example.
The maids will suck up a broom cupboard. Treat her well in other areas.
Old May 5th 2021, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi All - hope everyone's well and enjoying Ramadan!

Just an update to this, my wife's got her final interview tomorrow and we should know fairly soon after if this is a go ahead. In parallel, we've been given a proposed salary of 45k (but no childcare for under 4 years). I think we can make this work, with my UK income to supplement.

We've also been looking at accommodation in parallel, and I've put together a rough monthly expenditure based on my research so far. I've considered the following so far, which hopefully isn't too irrational.

Accommodation - 12k
Nursery - 10k
Utilities - 3k (assuming chiller free? Or will this cover A/C too if not chiller free for a 3 bed flat)?
Grocery/Entertainment (assuming 2 takeaways/week + weekend meals/outing with kids) - 7k
Maid - 3.5k
Travel - 700 (assuming Uber to work n back initially, most likely will be Metro + Uber though depending on weather)
Car Loan - 4k (discretionary)
Miscellaneous - 3k

The above all adds upto just over 43k. I'm hoping I've been pretty prudent in the calcs above so should hopefully come in closer to 40k instead. Any thoughts/feedback welcome!

With regards to accommodation, we're now considering JLT as the top option as it's close to Internet City, 2 metros nearby and generally a good vibe and cheaper than the Marina and yet just across the road. However, we're on the lookout for a 3 bed + Maid which seems scarce in JLT, and we're thinking budget wise c. 120k - 140k/year (hopefully chiller free). We discounted the Marina mainly due to potential traffic in/out being a nightmare (or so I've read).

Anyone hear stays at JLT or has any comments on it?

Many thanks again.
Pratt
Old May 5th 2021, 12:05 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update to this, my wife's got her final interview tomorrow and we should know fairly soon after if this is a go ahead. In parallel, we've been given a proposed salary of 45k (but no childcare for under 4 years). I think we can make this work, with my UK income to supplement.

We've also been looking at accommodation in parallel, and I've put together a rough monthly expenditure based on my research so far. I've considered the following so far, which hopefully isn't too irrational.

Accommodation - 12k
Nursery - 10k
Utilities - 3k (assuming chiller free? Or will this cover A/C too if not chiller free for a 3 bed flat)?
Grocery/Entertainment (assuming 2 takeaways/week + weekend meals/outing with kids) - 7k
Maid - 3.5k
Travel - 700 (assuming Uber to work n back initially, most likely will be Metro + Uber though depending on weather)
Miscellaneous - 3k

The above all adds upto just over 43k. I'm hoping I've been pretty prudent in the calcs above so should hopefully come in closer to 40k instead. Any thoughts/feedback welcome!

With regards to accommodation, we're now considering JLT as the top option as it's close to Internet City, 2 metros nearby and generally a good vibe and cheaper than the Marina and yet just across the road. However, we're on the lookout for a 3 bed + Maid which seems scarce in JLT, and we're thinking budget wise c. 120k - 140k/year (hopefully chiller free). We discounted the Marina mainly due to potential traffic in/out being a nightmare (or so I've read).

Many thanks again.
Pratt
​​​​​​
I'm not in UAE so I can't comment on those costs, but I am in Saudi where I'd imagine grocery/entertainment costs are broadly similar, or cheaper if anything. I think you've gone too low on 7k there.
As an example, my wife and kids are with me for the school holidays at the moment although they're not normally. I would have thought we're doing 10-12k a month and we're not really doing much. So if I'm managing that in a backwater in KSA.......

Dunno. You know what you get up to with your family but 7k a month for food and entertainment seems on the low side.
Old May 5th 2021, 12:08 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
​​​​​​
I'm not in UAE so I can't comment on those costs, but I am in Saudi where I'd imagine grocery/entertainment costs are broadly similar, or cheaper if anything. I think you've gone too low on 7k there.
As an example, my wife and kids are with me for the school holidays at the moment although they're not normally. I would have thought we're doing 10-12k a month and we're not really doing much. So if I'm managing that in a backwater in KSA.......

Dunno. You know what you get up to with your family but 7k a month for food and entertainment seems on the low side.
Sorry. Maybe ignore that. Just seen the ages of your kids.
Old May 5th 2021, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

Accommodation - 12k
Nursery - 10k
Maid - 3.5k
Miscellaneous - 3k

Many thanks again.
Pratt
It's nice when people come back. Good luck to the mrs tomorrow.

12k is 144k. It's definitely 3 bed villa in a nice area money or a good apartment.
A mate has just signed for a 3 bed villa in an older bit of the Ranches for 105k. If you gamble on being more remote than in amongst it, you'll save some there.

Nursery 10k - **** knows bro. No idea, sorry. Seems about right though, expensive as shit.
Utilities 3k - yeah, guess so. Maybe less if chiller free. We're chiller free and DEWA + Du internet is about 1500 a month I think.
Groceries - seems a lot to me. 2 takeaways, going balls deep on a Great Wall Chinese is about 250 for 2 adults, call that 500, = 2,000 a month. Yeah, you're probably not fair off with 7k. If you're doing 2 massive takeways though, you can't be spending as much on normal grub so probably leave it at 7. Our food shop from Spinneys / Waitrose every weekend is about 5-600. That's 5 dinners each (2 adults) and 6-8 lunches total. All meat diet with salads / veggies etc as well, so not cheap-ass tofu dinners or vegan crap. We buy the expensive avocados as well.
Maid - yeah.
Travel - yeah.
Car loan - bit high, but depends how pimpin' you want to be. My first was about 1500 chips a month, 80k explorer bought second hand. Next car was brand new, 3,500 a month.
Misc - probably a bit low. after work beers and whores are expensive.

JLT is alright. It's a cheaper Marina but honestly, the Marina is a disaster. Worst place in Dubai to live and I did 6 months there, pre-tram. It takes 4 lifetimes to get from one end to the other. You go for a drink on a Friday and by the time you arrive, you're late for work on Sunday. Awful place and JBR is a giant orange council estate. Don't be fooled.

JLT is fine, traffic used to be atrocious but it's better now I understand, but can't tell you for sure.
It's got a McGettigans if you dig that, or has some other cool bars and restaurants if you want something better. Metro easy like you say and across the road from the Marina if you want to go laugh at people stuck at red lights whilst you go slower than walking pace on the tram.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
​​​​​​

We spend 5-600 a week for 2 adults. 600=2400 a month.
Ignore takeaways, because that's just called the weekend, Thurs - 150, Fri morn 100, Fri night 250 say, Sat lunch 150 = 650 a weekend. = 2600 = 5,000 total for the two of us.

****. Was expecting to tell you 7k is obscene.
Old May 5th 2021, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

7k seems OK. We (2 adults, 3 children under six) spent an average of 11k/month on groceries last year, but that was partly a result of my wife developing an unhealthy infatuation with Waitrose and Spinneys. Normal years it's around 7-8k/month. Though if the small ones develop into gannets like the eldest, I can see that going up.
Old May 5th 2021, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

We pay 4K a month for a British nursery with British teachers. 5 days a week 8am-3pm.

We spend about 5-7k a month on food and entertainment.
Old May 6th 2021, 6:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by csdf
7k seems OK. We (2 adults, 3 children under six) spent an average of 11k/month on groceries last year, but that was partly a result of my wife developing an unhealthy infatuation with Waitrose and Spinneys. Normal years it's around 7-8k/month. Though if the small ones develop into gannets like the eldest, I can see that going up.
I'm with your wife here. Waitrose and Spinneys for the win. Save 100 dibs if I go to Carrefour but don't get pork and won't enjoy something that I genuinely really enjoy doing (food shops. I know, I'm weird).

Never, ever, ever buy the household shit from them though, Amazon is the winner there, Ariel, bog roll, foil, bin bags - all that shit. Stocked up and piled high. I could open the first Makro.

Luckily we don't have kids (yet), so don't feel your pain on that. I was 6ft and about 15 stone at 16 and Mum couldn't get back and forth to Tesco quick enough. Bless her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.