Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Dubai How much salary is enough?

Job offer in Dubai How much salary is enough?

Old Mar 28th 2019, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

ryanzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer in Dubai How much salary is enough?

Hello everyone,
This is a great forum and have a lot of information.
I have been offered a job in Dubai with 45K aed monthly. On the top of that i will also get 4-5k monthly as a school fee for two children. I am looking to move with my mrs and two kids. Package like i said is 45k plus school fee and there will be 20% bonus on top of that with tickets, health insurance and may be some pension scheme. I just wanted to know if i put my kids in british school and live in 2-3 bedroom apartment would i save enough money with two cars and so. Please do let me know . How long it takes to get visa and all process?

Many Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited by ryanzz; Mar 28th 2019 at 4:46 pm. Reason: name wrong
Old Mar 28th 2019, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Lul37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job offer in Dubai How much salary is enough?

Hi Ryan,

We are living here in Dubai on around 47k AED all inclusive per month. We also have two young children. Have been told by the very knowledgeable ppl here that’s its too low, especially coming from a place like London for us). I would advise you not to pay more than 130/140k per year on rent, no matter which area you choose to live in. We are trying to downgrade now because we pay 175k on a lovely 4 bed villa, which is way too much and we cannot save at all at the end of the month. School is around 60k per child per year on average. Everything here is also more expensive which we didn’t expect: food, clothes, utilities, etc... only petrol is cheap compared to the UK.

Also consider the impact of moving back home if you didn’t like the lifestyle here especially if you have children. My hubby is homesick after almost 4 years here, he hates that his company keeps sending him on projects out of Dubai. Now we are having to contemplate moving back to the the UK much sooner than I thought we would.

I haven’t also been able to find a part time job that works around my children’s school hours. Other than that, we do enjoy living close to the beach, we have a great outdoor lifestyle and the really kids enjoy their school. Think long and hard before you uproot your family.

It seemed like only yesterday we arrived! Good luck 👍🍀
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for responding.
I saw your post in other thread. I can assure you in london even if you are on 100k you will not save much. After 40% tax you get close to £5500. With Mortgage, utility bills, car PCP , tuition fee and grammar school preparation, increasing council tax, holidays package and tube expense there is not much left to joy. Salary does not make much difference over 100k unless there is good bonus. Contracting in IT was good option as i am currently earning over £600 a day but soon they are introducing IR35 which means it may not as lucrative as it was before. If you like the lifestyle of Dubai i would advise to change job which allow less travelling and school fee. But i wonder in Dubai dont we get salary hike ?
I would take your advise to probably compromise on villa and get a apartment to save some money.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 9:52 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryanzz View Post
Hello everyone,
This is a great forum and have a lot of information.
I have been offered a job in Dubai with 45K aed monthly. On the top of that i will also get 4-5k monthly as a school fee for two children. I am looking to move with my mrs and two kids. Package like i said is 45k plus school fee and there will be 20% bonus on top of that with tickets, health insurance and may be some pension scheme. I just wanted to know if i put my kids in british school and live in 2-3 bedroom apartment would i save enough money with two cars and so. Please do let me know . How long it takes to get visa and all process?

Many Thanks,

Ryan
It is 5k per kid, or for both.

If it's for both kids, then you're looking at 55k. Which is perfectly fine to save on. Large 3 bed apartment with pool, greeny and central location at 150k, very low utilities (some have AC included). Don't do the overpriced villa thing at 175k + 30-40k per year of utilities/council tax. By a Toyota - they depreciate at around 1k a month, buy a flashy GMC/Jeep etc and they depreciate at 2-3k a month. Rent a shitbox for 1200dh a month.

My villa is 140k - and I estimate that utilities will come in at around 30k for the year assuming Mrs Millhouse 2 keeps trying to have the place cool enough for a family of penguins in the back bedroom.

If you're thinking of replicating a true london lifestyle of grammar prep etc., polo classes, and piano lessons then costs escalate very quickly.

Old Mar 29th 2019, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Job offer in Dubai How much salary is enough?

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
It is 5k per kid, or for both.

If it's for both kids, then you're looking at 55k. Which is perfectly fine to save on. Large 3 bed apartment with pool, greeny and central location at 150k, very low utilities (some have AC included). Don't do the overpriced villa thing at 175k + 30-40k per year of utilities/council tax. By a Toyota - they depreciate at around 1k a month, buy a flashy GMC/Jeep etc and they depreciate at 2-3k a month. Rent a shitbox for 1200dh a month.

My villa is 140k - and I estimate that utilities will come in at around 30k for the year assuming Mrs Millhouse 2 keeps trying to have the place cool enough for a family of penguins in the back bedroom.

If you're thinking of replicating a true london lifestyle of grammar prep etc., polo classes, and piano lessons then costs escalate very quickly.
Thanks for your explanation its 5k for both kids in total. As for as car is concern i really wana buy Q7 or RangRover
Old Mar 29th 2019, 3:35 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your explanation its 5k for both kids in total. As for as car is concern i really wana buy Q7 or RangRover
Expensive motors.. Not to buy, but to sell.
Old Mar 31st 2019, 5:22 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

You're gonna fit in well.
Old Mar 31st 2019, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

How much do you need to live ? People from South Asia get by on 500 Dirhams a month. I suspect UK types need a bit more.
Old Apr 1st 2019, 12:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
How much do you need to live ? People from South Asia get by on 500 Dirhams a month. I suspect UK types need a bit more.
UK types i understand salary depends on nationality in UAE. I fully believe it should be on individual skills set. But unfortunately this is not how it works. 500 a month is slavery.
Old Apr 1st 2019, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
You're gonna fit in well.
My thoughts too haha
Old Apr 4th 2019, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: Job offer in Dubai How much salary is enough?

Originally Posted by reddiva View Post
My thoughts too haha

Old Apr 4th 2019, 9:48 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Where is the job?

Villas out near the ranches are around 100k now (with AC bills around 2k a month)... near schools, community pools, shops, family environment, oh and the dust of course.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Where is the job?

Villas out near the ranches are around 100k now (with AC bills around 2k a month)... near schools, community pools, shops, family environment, oh and the dust of course.

Probably apartment seems to be right option for first year before considering villa . Apologies for privacy reasons i cannot disclose the name of company. Hoz medical facilities in Dubai and how does they work with company health insurance?.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 6:03 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Probably apartment seems to be right option for first year before considering villa . Apologies for privacy reasons i cannot disclose the name of company. Hoz medical facilities in Dubai and how does they work with company health insurance?.
I asked where not who...

medical is ok. You generally go to a hospital on your company’s insurance list or pay and claim. You may be subject to a copayment and dentistry probably isn’t covered.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Job offer in Dubai How much salary is enough?

I asked where not who...

medical is ok. You generally go to a hospital on your company’s insurance list or pay and claim. You may be subject to a copayment and dentistry probably isn’t covered.
dentistry