Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job Offer - Doha, Qatar !

Job Offer - Doha, Qatar !

Old Feb 2nd 2012, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice
Default Job Offer - Doha, Qatar !

I have been offered a position with a salary of 35,000k per month [Package].

My family and I are expats from the UK and have been in Australia for nearly 11 months.

We are now looking to earn the "big money" in the UAE...

Is this a good salary ?
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

james1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Offer - Doha, Qatar !

I suppose it depends what you do
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 10:35 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

First get your atlas out. Doha isn't in the UAE.

Great offer if you're a taxi driver, crap if you're a CEO.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice

My profession is Senior Quantity Surveyor/Commercial Manager. I am a Chartered Surveyor [MRICS] with over 11 years experience.

I have been told that I should be aiming higher...and based on your comment, I assume he is correct !
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

You should definitely be aiming higher. As a fellow QS who has been in the UAE for over 12 years, I would say you should be looking for at least 45K but preferably over 50K.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:05 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Err...what's the location, Doha or UAE?
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi fellow QS [!],

We have been looking at Dubai/AD however, the agency steered us towards Qatar and hence, here we are !

I am in two minds with regard to the offer and after having done some research, do agree that 35k/month is a little light !

I shall negotiate it further and see where it takes me...

In the meantime, what is the market like in Dubai/AD and do you know of any decent agencies that I can make contact with ?

I am also a Chartered Civil Engineering Surveyor [MCInstCES] and have experience in infrastructure/Oil and Gas/civils/construction etc...
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Doha...my bad !
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:08 am
Hit 16's

Is that 35 all-in (ie from that you've got to pay for house, schools, car and so on)? Will your company provide nothing?
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

35 all-in mate....not good I think !

Gonna tell them 50 or nothing....is that about right ?
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:15 am
Hit 16's

I'm in UAE and am not sure about Doha costs, but there has been debate on here recently, so do a search.

My approach would be to calculate how much you'd need to spend on decent accommodation, schools, car and so on, and present that as a structured cost to your putative employer, and then ask them to propose what they consider to be an appropriate salary on top--then work it up from there. If they're not open to that sort of debate, do the same sums yourself and know what you need--and then try to get them to increase their offer until it at least matches your aspiration.

Again, I don't know about Doha, but I'd have thought you should be looking at a salary (salary alone) of at least 35k pcm.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Okay mate....will do that
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Aim for the the below

Salary -30 ,000 plus QAR per month

Housing -12,000 plus QAR per month

Schooling - As per rate

Flights - Minimum 1 ticket per year for family

Transport - 3000 QAR per month

Medical - Fully covered

Annual Bonus - 0-3months

Visas - fully covered by company
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by colonel
In the meantime, what is the market like in Dubai/AD and do you know of any decent agencies that I can make contact with ?
The job market for QS's in Dubai and Abu Dhabi is not good at the moment so if you want a job in the Middle East then Qatar and SA are your best bets.

As for agencies, the only one I'm familiar with is Macdonald and Company.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Okay excellent guidelines...ideally, I want the Company to pay for accommodation, flights and education. Will put this forward to them as a proposal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.