Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Doha - please advise

Job offer in Doha - please advise

Old Dec 7th 2021, 1:48 am
Just Joined

kaza86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer in Doha - please advise

I have recently accepted the following offer to work in Doha and am I looking for advise to confirm if it is a decent offer. I know it is a little late but I came across this site after accepting. The position is a senior information security adviser. Here is the details:

Base: 31500
Transport: 3600
Accommodation: 12000
Schooling: fully Covered
Travel Home: once a year for family
Vacation: 40 days
Health care: fully Covered
Bonus: based on performance

My current net income (after tax) is 85000 USD plus pension and 90% Healthcare coverage. I have 3 kids and the wife will most likely not work. Am I selling myself short? Based on my estimation, I would not need more than 25000 QAR for accommodation and other lively spending and the rest can be banked? Are my numbers off? And is this a good package for the position above.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job offer in Doha - please advise

Decent package, especially because they cover all school fees. That can be a deal breaker for some, see other posts on this forum.

I would push for more, you should always negotiate.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Calgary2021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kaza86
I have recently accepted the following offer to work in Doha and am I looking for advise to confirm if it is a decent offer. I know it is a little late but I came across this site after accepting. The position is a senior information security adviser. Here is the details:

My current net income (after tax) is 85000 USD plus pension and 90% Healthcare coverage. I have 3 kids and the wife will most likely not work. Am I selling myself short? Based on my estimation, I would not need more than 25000 QAR for accommodation and other lively spending and the rest can be banked? Are my numbers off? And is this a good package for the position above.
My research (based on friends living in Qatar) shows family of 4 can comfortably live (decent 3-4 bed home, eating out every few days, kids activities, vacationing close by in the ME every 6 months, partying/going all out biweekly) on 25-30k QAR. At 40k a month you can live a high end life in a villa with your own pool (renting for 12-16k a month).
Old Dec 14th 2021, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

12345678 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wondering how do you push for more when negotiating? When I got an offer from both ARAMCO and QP, they requested last 3 months payslips to calculate an offer. ARAMCO wouldn't negotiate on their offer but found QP more open.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Calgary2021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 12345678
Wondering how do you push for more when negotiating? When I got an offer from both ARAMCO and QP, they requested last 3 months payslips to calculate an offer. ARAMCO wouldn't negotiate on their offer but found QP more open.
Yes, your current pay makes a big difference in their decision. I went through Aramco and the HR lady was very blunt when I asked her “what about if I was unemployed in the US for last year?” She said, “too bad, why will we pay you more that you can possibly ever get in your own country? Our logic is we may best case match your gross before tax salary, but even then you will still save 10 times more because of no taxes and way lower living expenses”.

So yes, unfortunately your current pay makes all the difference. And it’s also unfortunate that many leaving the West for Middle East are ones who are at the bottom of the Economic ladder, thus giving these companies (like Aramco and QP) many candidates willing to work for less. My uncle used to work for QP 25 years ago and his son now works for QP in the same Engineering field (from US) at a 60% discount.

Last edited by Calgary2021; Dec 14th 2021 at 5:14 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 7:56 am
Just Joined

12345678 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kaza86

Your net income would go from $85000 to $150,000. QAR is fixed to USD. I'm not sure about the housing allowance coverage for villas in Doha as I've only been looking for 2 bedroom apartments in the pearl but think 12000 QAR should be enough for a villa in West Bay.

Do your kids go to private school in the US and is that already accounted for in the quoted net income of $85000? They will cover education costs for your respective passport, i.e. if you have a British passport, the full fees at the local British school and vice versa in US school. If you have another passport and no local school for it, then they cover up to a max figure, think something like 33000 QAR per child, you'll need to check your T&C for it, didn't apply for me so can't recall more accurately. They will give you money so you can buy your flights for your family once a year rather than paying for a set of flights back to your home country every month, then you can do with that as you please. Go elsewhere for vacation or go back home.

Living costs are not expensive apart from housing which they give you allowance for. The entertainment costs will vary depending on what sort of activities the whole family does and how big you want to go on it. Alcohol is also expensive if you drink.