Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Bahrain - Is it a good one?

Job Offer in Bahrain - Is it a good one?

Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Wary Yorkshireman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Offer in Bahrain - Is it a good one?

Hi anyone who can help.

I've been offered a job working in Bahrain as a Construction Project Manager, with a UK based consultancy. The package is as follows; US$ 165,000 (about £82,500) This is a mix of Salary & Car allowance but no real split as such. Two bedroom apartment, not sure exactly where. Medical through Royal Sun Alliance, One flight every 6 months and 6 weeks holiday per annum.

Is this a good offer? Compared to what I'm on through my own Ltd. Company in the UK the 'take home' is roughly the same, accounting for the usual UK taxes etc.

I need to make a decision by tomorrow at the latest so any comments would be gratefully received.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:56 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Bahrain - Is it a good one?

I honestly can't comment as I am Dubai and am not sure about the cost of living in Bahrain, I am sure someone will be able to help though. The salary sounds pretty good to me to be honest with you and as long as you are getting accomodation covered you should be ok.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

ronandlouie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Wary Yorkshireman
Hi anyone who can help.

I've been offered a job working in Bahrain as a Construction Project Manager, with a UK based consultancy. The package is as follows; US$ 165,000 (about £82,500) This is a mix of Salary & Car allowance but no real split as such. Two bedroom apartment, not sure exactly where. Medical through Royal Sun Alliance, One flight every 6 months and 6 weeks holiday per annum.

Is this a good offer? Compared to what I'm on through my own Ltd. Company in the UK the 'take home' is roughly the same, accounting for the usual UK taxes etc.

I need to make a decision by tomorrow at the latest so any comments would be gratefully received.

More than enough, housing in Bahrain is around BD1400 a month, equal to $3500. If you lok for an appartment with two bedrooms you can get it for $2000.

Cost of living is cheap, many brits clubs, rugby club

Bahrain is samll, just make sure it is not Downtown,

Bahrain has many public holidays, so your leave on top is great, expect ramadan difficult to get a drink, rest of year is like europe

I would take it

All the best
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your message. I'm a little uncertain as it means being away from family for up to 4 months based on taking 2 weeks holiday each time, to make the travel worthwhile. Do you have a view on this?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your message. I'm a little uncertain as it means being away from family for up to 4 months based on taking 2 weeks holiday each time, to make the travel worthwhile. Do you have a view on this?
Expat life is different, take your family with you. If you both are not sure than do not go, I have seen to many families go bust.

Especially in your case; you have good job, go for a holiday in bahrain for week with your family and see that they say.

In the construction field there will be jobs for the next 10 years overhere, but the golden rule applies: family first

Good luck in your decision making (always include your family)
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks RonandLouie for your input. It's rare to get a non-financial viewpoint. My contract in the UK is fairly long-term and although it means working away, I only work 4 days week and get three days at home with partner. I work thru my own Ltd. Co and the contract pays approx. £100,000p.a. Hence why I'm hesitant. At present I can't see a major incentive other than some good development consultancy experience on my CV. My partner said she's willing to come out for a month at a time, but doesn't she doesn't want to move out there. I'm not sure this is ideal and I'd be out at work 5 days a week anyway.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks RonandLouie for your input. It's rare to get a non-financial viewpoint. My contract in the UK is fairly long-term and although it means working away, I only work 4 days week and get three days at home with partner. I work thru my own Ltd. Co and the contract pays approx. £100,000p.a. Hence why I'm hesitant. At present I can't see a major incentive other than some good development consultancy experience on my CV. My partner said she's willing to come out for a month at a time, but doesn't she doesn't want to move out there. I'm not sure this is ideal and I'd be out at work 5 days a week anyway.
Hi,

For the Middle east, you do not need any development for your cv, if you look at websites like monstergulf.com and www.bayt.com you will see that they can not staff with construction equipment.

Otherwise also look at http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/home.asp
this is the local paper.

Good luck decision making.

RonandLouie
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ronandlouie
Hi,

For the Middle east, you do not need any development for your cv, if you look at websites like monstergulf.com and www.bayt.com you will see that they can not staff with construction equipment.

Otherwise also look at http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/home.asp
this is the local paper.

Good luck decision making.

RonandLouie
Sorry;

I mean they can not get staff with construction experience.(getting tired)

Regards

RonandLouie