Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job offer advice please.

Job offer advice please.

Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Bull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer advice please.

I would appreciate any thoughts and advice on this job offer please.

I have been offered 25,000 AED per month.
Plus medical for me and my family.
Plus flights home.
I haven't recieved the breakdown yet.

I have a wife and two kids. I have been looking at 2 bedroom apartments for around 70,000 AED per year and found one in Global Green View 2.

My youngest is a toddler and the oldest will need to go to a secondary school. They are boys so would have to share a bedroom.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer advice please.

Originally Posted by Bull
I would appreciate any thoughts and advice on this job offer please.

I have been offered 25,000 AED per month.
Plus medical for me and my family.
Plus flights home.
I haven't recieved the breakdown yet.

I have a wife and two kids. I have been looking at 2 bedroom apartments for around 70,000 AED per year and found one in Global Green View 2.

My youngest is a toddler and the oldest will need to go to a secondary school. They are boys so would have to share a bedroom.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
unless the company are paying your housing and school fees it is not enough
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Bull, double it and you are there.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Why do people keep posting these stupid "is this enough" questions?

Read a few replies, see what the usual questions are, and fillin some of the gaps yourself.

What do you do Bull?

Are you an Engineer, or a realestate salesman?
A neurosurgeon, or a journalist?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
Why do people keep posting these stupid "is this enough" questions?

Read a few replies, see what the usual questions are, and fillin some of the gaps yourself.

What do you do Bull?

Are you an Engineer, or a realestate salesman?
A neurosurgeon, or a journalist?
No need to be rude sweetie, you only joined this site a few months ago yourself.
If you are new then it is reassuring to have comments (constructive) and advise (polite) from people who have been here a few years. I think you should always put yourself in the same position and think how you would feel if somebody posted such a rude and negative reply.

Bull, if you let us know the whole deal then we will be able to assist you more.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Bull is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in the media industry and I have been reading around numerous forums and websites but there is no definitive answers anywhere. I would love to find a 'lifestyle calculator' for Dubai if anyone knows of one... Otherwise i'm interested in people's personal opinions who have been there and got the t-shirt. Which I have not...

Thanks
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

I work in the media industry and I have been reading around numerous forums and websites but there is no definitive answers anywhere. I would love to find a 'lifestyle calculator' for Dubai if anyone knows of one... Otherwise i'm interested in people's personal opinions who have been there and got the t-shirt. Which I have not...

Thanks
Well Bull, I don't know about school fees but somebody will come on and give you an idea about them I am sure.
but whatever your rent is you need to factor in, agents fees ( 5%) plus 5% of your rental for housing tax plus Dewa ( electricity,water etc) this is a monthly expenditure.
You need to think about car hire/buy/loan. x 2 if your wife needs to get around as well and do school runs.
After school activities are expensive ( apparently) eating out can be expensive, depending where you go.
Personally I would, as a single person, find it difficult to live on 25K a month even if I lived in an apartment.
I would seriously not consider moving here unless you were getting 25K a month clear of schooling, rental and facilities at the very least.
Hope this helps xx
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Thanks
It is hard to say as an Indian family will feed 10 children with 25K per month. In my case, we are a family of four, no school fees yet, we have one (old) car, eat out once a week, two vacations per year and we spend around 30K per month. So I would say, 25K is in the short side.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klaus3974
It is hard to say as an Indian family will feed 10 children with 25K per month. In my case, we are a family of four, no school fees yet, we have one (old) car, eat out once a week, two vacations per year and we spend around 30K per month. So I would say, 25K is in the short side.
Does that include your rent?
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Personally I would, as a single person, find it difficult to live on 25K a month even if I lived in an apartment.
I would seriously not consider moving here unless you were getting 25K a month clear of schooling, rental and facilities at the very least.
Hope this helps xx
25k clear after all your core expenses? What do you spend all this on? do you have a coke habit or something?

After rent, I spend no more than 16k a month, in that I run 2 cars, eat out a couple of times a week, send the boy to nursey, and have domestic help.

I hardly drink, which may be a big difference - alcohol is very expensive.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Does that include your rent?
Half of the 30K we spend monthly is rent. We are hoping to reduce that in January when we will renew our lease.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:46 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

25k clear after all your core expenses? What do you spend all this on? do you have a coke habit or something?

After rent, I spend no more than 16k a month, in that I run 2 cars, eat out a couple of times a week, send the boy to nursey, and have domestic help.

it's all down to the individual, we spend less than that but have to send money to the UK for maintenance etc. 25k a month is doable for a single but not where kids are involved. School fees aren't cheap, our school is charging 32k for a 4 year old.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:58 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

ok...

if your company doesnt pay for schooling direct...dont come

if your company doesnt provide a car for you....dont come

if your company doesnt provide accommodation or an actual allowance (payable up front)....dont come

if your company dont pay all your utilites (phone, internet, gas, elec etc)....dont come

if your company dont provide full medical cover for all family...dont come

if they satisfy all above, 25K is plenty.

if they dont...dont come..

Unfortunately as Dubai is no longer the hardship posting it once was, these kind of 'featherbed' (why did i think of Gareth) packages are rare because people have been duped in many industries to come out and pay all of the above, some 12 months in advance..

All i am saying is be very careful..there are a lot of pitfalls in this place. Make sure you ALWAYS have an exit strategy.

We have...but then again absolutely eff all apart from a fully paid Prado is in our name...
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Well darling, if you had MM and MH as your drinking partners then you would understand why I need a lot of money!! lol
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:09 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Well darling, if you had MM and MH as your drinking partners then you would understand why I need a lot of money!! lol
are they tight asses??...not literally of course, ive seen the photos...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.