Reload this Page >

JOB OFFER ABU DHABI - COST OF LIVING

JOB OFFER ABU DHABI - COST OF LIVING

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

cmowen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default JOB OFFER ABU DHABI - COST OF LIVING

Hi everyone

I know you have had this question before and I have read so many posts whith conflicting information.

I am wanting to move to Abu Dhabi on my own at first but later bringing my family along. I am being offered a total package of 40,000 UAD a month to work in Abu Dhabi which includes all allowances.

I would like to know the follwing if possible?:

1) how much it would cost for accomodation of a 1 bed apt in and out of the city. (Is it worth looking in Dubai or would the travel be too much?)
2) Cost of Utility Bills a month.
3) Cost of Car lease a month.
4) Cost of monthly Internet.
5) Cost of Food for one a month.
6) Costs for going out twice a week for some fun.
7) Any tax implications for going out there?
8) I may want to bring my family out there two kids 4 & 2 and my wife of course. How much extra should I allow per month to be able for us all to live comfortably?

I appreaciate your time and experience and look forward to your replies.

Last edited by cmowen; Nov 22nd 2009 at 3:26 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JOB OFFER ABU DHABI - COST OF LIVING

Originally Posted by cmowen
Hi everyone

I know you have had this question before and I have read so many posts whith conflicting information.

I am wanting to move to Abu Dhabi on my own at first but later bringing my family along. I am being offered a total package of 40,000 UAD a month to work in Abu Dhabi which includes all allowances.

1) how much it would cost for accomodation of a 1 bed apt in and out of the city. (Is it worth looking in Dubai or would the travel be too much?)
3) Cost of Car lease a month.
6) Costs for going out twice a week for some fun.
7) Any tax implications for going out there?
8) I may want to bring my family out there two kids 4 & 2 and my wife of course. How much extra should I allow per month to be able for us all to live comfortably?

I appreaciate your time and experience and look forward to your replies.
The answers to all of these haven't changed since they were last asked... about a week ago.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks Millhouse for your informative reply!!!

I have been looking at various posts and accomodation costs vary considerably. I take it best to live on the outskirts rather than in the city centre. Is there a lot of british communities and if so does accomodation come up much. When my wife and two kids come over I would like to be somewhere that they can settle in well and have other children for my kids to play with.

Can anyone advise on good areas to look at in AD. My housing allowance is 160000 UAD. Also any tips would be helpful.

Would it be better to buy a car than rent one?

Can you get monthly rents or is everything based on a year up front?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Abu Dhabi is an expensive place to live. Have you been to visit? You will struggle to find family accomodation for AED 160,000 on or off island unless you live in Dubai. A small villa in Al Raha Gardens (off island) will be about AED 220,000 and that's cheap. Good areas on island tend to be Al Bateen, Al Nayhan, Khalidia, Karama but I doubt very much if you will get anything decent for your allowance in these areas. We have friends that are paying Dhs 250,000 for a 2 bed apartment in Khalidia. Rents are usually paid 12 months in advance - some landlords will take payment for 6 months plus a post dated cheque for the next 6 months which you have to honour even if you decide to move on after 6 months (it is a criminal matter to bounce a cheque in UAE!). Regarding cars - in my opinion I would rent first while you settle in and then decide if you want to buy - a lot of people move out here for what they think is a 2 or 3 year contract and find themselves out of a job in a few months and then have to sell cars in a difficult market.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Paddy09 is on a distinguished road

Ive just moved here but I can advise you on some of your queries:

From what Ive learned, alot of people take a hotel apartment and rent a car until they get set up. Be prepared for a tough search to find good value accommodation.

[QUOTE=cmowen;8116718]Hi everyone

1) how much it would cost for accomodation of a 1 bed apt in and out of the city. (Is it worth looking in Dubai or would the travel be too much?) I just got a nice one bed apartment in the city centre area (Hamdan Street) for 130,000 per year. If you are willing to spend about 3 hours driving per day, you could get a similar apartment for half the price in Dubai
3) Cost of Car lease a month.I am paying 90DHS per day for a Yaris (but I know I can get a better deal when my contract expires) Your better off renting a car until you know where you are living - ie - if you decide to commute from Dubai you will surely need a strong car/4x4. The roads are lethal here by the way
6) Costs for going out twice a week for some fun. A pint is about 25DHS (5 euros) so it depends on how many you have!7) Any tax implications for going out there?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Soukie & Paddy09

It sounds like I might struggle to get reasonable accomodation without eating in to my base salary.

I have not been to AD yet but have a very good idea of what to expect. I obviously will be coming over on my own for the first 6 to 9 month whilst I look at schooling and assess wether or not it would be best tp bring the family over.

I am just waiting for client approval before mobilisation starts. The company will put me up for the first month whilst i looked for accomodation.

Is it best to go through an agent or join the british clubs and find accomodation through recomendations from expats?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Your housing allowance is ok for just you but you will struggle if your family come over. You will also struggle if you don't get an education allowance. It depends on how old your kids are and what school they go to but fees for my two are about Dhs17k each per term. The school is excellent though.
For housing it is probably easier to use an agent, especially when you are new to the city, but their fees are usually about 10% of the annual rent, so that is another expense.