Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Abu Dhabi

Job Offer in Abu Dhabi

Old May 17th 2011, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Tdonnelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Offer in Abu Dhabi

My husband has accepted a job offer in Abu Dhabi, its 30000AED per month, while he works days, then once he settles in he gets a shift allowance and it rises to 35000 aed. From that he pays 2000aed to share an apartment with a work colleague. or 4000aed to live on his own. They pay the rest of the housing. I am planning on staying in the UK for the time being to see how things go, and to have my baby in the UK. Which would then mean we would have two children.

I guess my question is, is this a good wage? When I do eventually move over there I am planning on finding work myself. I work in a recruitment type role, and thought that recruitment agencies would be a possible way to go, but I also have a lot of admin and customer service experience (currently working for Civil Service in UK). Does anyone what job prospects are like for those types of area of work in Abu Dhabi/Dubai?

Thanks.

They also provide medical cover for us all, up to 3 months pay each year as a bonus, and 1/3 of school fees for up to 2 children.
Old May 17th 2011, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Abu Dhabi

I think you are wise to stay in UK until you know how things go. It really is difficult to comment on the level of salary unless we know what type of work he does.
Old May 17th 2011, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tdonnelly
I guess my question is, is this a good wage?
He's accepted it. Bit late to ask that question now isn't it?

Anyway ... haven't you already asked these questions?
Old May 17th 2011, 11:33 am
Just Joined

he works in production. wage is more than twice what he earns now.
Old May 17th 2011, 11:34 am
Just Joined

and i'm staying in uk to have baby, would be after that that i move out and look for work!
Old May 17th 2011, 11:56 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a bad wage if he is on a production line churning out bottles of soda, but pretty poor if he is the Production Manager at a major aluminium plant.
Old May 17th 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like he has done well then - most people don't double their wages by coming out here.
Old May 17th 2011, 8:08 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

so its a good wage then, which was your question..
Old May 24th 2011, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

John7 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband has accepted a job offer in Abu Dhabi, its 30000AED per month, while he works days, then once he settles in he gets a shift allowance and it rises to 35000 aed. From that he pays 2000aed to share an apartment with a work colleague. or 4000aed to live on his own. They pay the rest of the housing. I am planning on staying in the UK for the time being to see how things go, and to have my baby in the UK. Which would then mean we would have two children.

I guess my question is, is this a good wage? When I do eventually move over there I am planning on finding work myself. I work in a recruitment type role, and thought that recruitment agencies would be a possible way to go, but I also have a lot of admin and customer service experience (currently working for Civil Service in UK). Does anyone what job prospects are like for those types of area of work in Abu Dhabi/Dubai?

Thanks.

They also provide medical cover for us all, up to 3 months pay each year as a bonus, and 1/3 of school fees for up to 2 children.
As a start it is a good salary, but when you decide to join him in Abu Dhabi, you will a face a problem in rents, as you may consider paying a minimum of Dhs. 10,000/- per month, your husband should have negotiated accommodation issue before joining.

But in general and considering other benefits beside the salary, it is fairly good
Old May 25th 2011, 6:54 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless I have misread, the OP says that her husband can either share an apartment for 2,000AED or have something on his own, ie, private for a 4,000AED contribution. The company are paying the rest of the housing, so his only contribution would be 2 or 4k.

The OP's husband has negotiated the housing John so not getting your point at all.

I think 35,000AED less 4,000AED for housing (max) is a good salary although not getting all the school fees paid and only getting 1/3 refunded may prove to be expensive depending on which school you decide upon.

No mention in the OP about return flights home which is usually included for all the family, but the 3 months bonus (but I am betting that this isnt guaranteed) and full medical is good.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

if on ad visa then medical has to be included up to 3 children.