British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Job Market in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/job-market-abu-dhabi-543083/)

alexalexa Jun 15th 2008 9:35 am

Job Market in Abu Dhabi

Hi,

I am really happy I found this forum. My husband received a job offer for Abu Dhabi (he is a consultant in the construction field) and I am pondering if we should move there. We live in the United States, but I am originally from Austria.
My main question is, if I could find a job easily. I am 26 and have a degree in business administrations (Marketing and Public Relations). I moved to the United States 1,5 years ago and spent a lot of time on our long distance relationship (my husband is American) and obtaining the Green Card until I was legally allowed to work, and if we really decide to move to Abu Dhabi, I wouldn’t want to go through that hassle again. My work experience took place mainly in advertising, creative development, marketing and I used to be a Business German teacher for four years in Austria.
I tried to find career websites for Abu Dhabi (any recommendations?) but found only jobs in the construction etc. field there, and if they were looking for marketing professionals they mostly required 10+ years of experience.
What do you think? Is there a market for expats in that field? And how easy/difficult is it, to obtain a visa for work? (My husband will have a work visa, and as I understand as his wife, I will only have a residency visa.)

I was also wondering, what a usual salary would be for an expat senior consultant (my husband) in the construction field, and what moving bonus they pay him. Just want to see, if the offer is even worth considering.

Thank you so much for your help.

Alexalexa

shakh your bootie Jun 15th 2008 10:30 am

Re: Job Market in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by alexalexa (Post 6468383)
Hi,

I am really happy I found this forum. My husband received a job offer for Abu Dhabi (he is a consultant in the construction field) and I am pondering if we should move there. We live in the United States, but I am originally from Austria.
My main question is, if I could find a job easily. I am 26 and have a degree in business administrations (Marketing and Public Relations). I moved to the United States 1,5 years ago and spent a lot of time on our long distance relationship (my husband is American) and obtaining the Green Card until I was legally allowed to work, and if we really decide to move to Abu Dhabi, I wouldn’t want to go through that hassle again. My work experience took place mainly in advertising, creative development, marketing and I used to be a Business German teacher for four years in Austria.
I tried to find career websites for Abu Dhabi (any recommendations?) but found only jobs in the construction etc. field there, and if they were looking for marketing professionals they mostly required 10+ years of experience.
What do you think? Is there a market for expats in that field? And how easy/difficult is it, to obtain a visa for work? (My husband will have a work visa, and as I understand as his wife, I will only have a residency visa.)

I was also wondering, what a usual salary would be for an expat senior consultant (my husband) in the construction field, and what moving bonus they pay him. Just want to see, if the offer is even worth considering.

Thank you so much for your help.

Alexalexa

Welcome Alexa,

For recruitment consultants etc, you may want to try searching the forum & the wiki, this is a common question that has been addressed ad nauseum.

In terms of work permits/residency this should not be a problem - as you are married, you will get residency on your hubbie's sponsorship.

As you have good language & business skills in German, maybe try contacting members of the Abu Dhabi German Business Council directly. Here is their member's list:

http://www.gebcad.com/index.php?opti...obi2&Itemid=51

Good Luck!!

weescot Jun 15th 2008 10:57 am

There is plenty pr/marketing and creative work in Abu Dhabi - it is in general an under developed sector in the city and most organisations here end up (reluctantly) going to Dubai, where the sector is mature and can support the work.

Given the amount of business talking off in Abu Dhabi, the sector will expand in response to the demand. As your residency will be sponsored though your husband, this can sometimes have a negative effect on your salary - but you can still make a decent living. It is definately worth making the move. But you won't really find out what is about until you get here and tarketing who you want to work for.

Check the recuritment sites in Dubai also - and register. Abu Dbai jobs are not always advertised as they fill them so quickly.Also, as with most creative/pr jobs - it is all down to networks etc.

Good luck!

busybee2 Jun 15th 2008 1:14 pm

my hubs works in construction industry, you can always email me your cv and i will pass it on, but no promises as it depends on the industry etc busyoverseas@hotmail dot com.

alexalexa Jun 19th 2008 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 6468495)
Welcome Alexa,

For recruitment consultants etc, you may want to try searching the forum & the wiki, this is a common question that has been addressed ad nauseum.

In terms of work permits/residency this should not be a problem - as you are married, you will get residency on your hubbie's sponsorship.

As you have good language & business skills in German, maybe try contacting members of the Abu Dhabi German Business Council directly. Here is their member's list:

http://www.gebcad.com/index.php?opti...obi2&Itemid=51

Good Luck!!

Thank you, that is a great advice. Do you think there is any good chance of finding a marketing job in AD or are they all in Dubai?

alexalexa Jun 19th 2008 9:37 pm

Hi you all,

Thank you very much for the answers. Do you think my chances would be much better of finding a Marketing job in Dubai than in AD? I could convince my hubby to move to Dubai...

Busybee, is your husband looking for marketing people?

busybee2 Jun 20th 2008 3:54 am

could be if you like send me a cv and we can take it from there, obviously with all the development going on here, they are always on the look out for 'good' staff of all types.

Yalily Jun 20th 2008 5:48 am

Hey Alexalexa... I found this site with tons of Marketing jobs in the whole of the UAE! check it out... :thumbsup:

www.careerjet.ae

Good Luck!;)

Bob Jun 20th 2008 9:59 pm

you want to get your citizenship sorted first to be honest, in case you don't like the UAE, you could well find yourself buggered and have to move back to the EU.

Your other half being a yank, won't be in such a financial benefit of moving to a tax free country for work, because he'll have to pay taxes to the IRS on the income, plus the joys of reporting assets over $10K.

alexalexa Jun 20th 2008 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6487473)
you want to get your citizenship sorted first to be honest, in case you don't like the UAE, you could well find yourself buggered and have to move back to the EU.

Your other half being a yank, won't be in such a financial benefit of moving to a tax free country for work, because he'll have to pay taxes to the IRS on the income, plus the joys of reporting assets over $10K.

I heard that but I still could not find out how many percent and if his whole income will be taxed?

Thanks for your help.

Bob Jun 20th 2008 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by alexalexa (Post 6487654)
I heard that but I still could not find out how many percent and if his whole income will be taxed?

Thanks for your help.

yup, because there isn't a dual tax treaty, he'll be taxed like any other American living in the US, so whatever he's being taxed now, it'll probably be the same if earning the same level.

alexalexa Jun 20th 2008 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6487698)
yup, because there isn't a dual tax treaty, he'll be taxed like any other American living in the US, so whatever he's being taxed now, it'll probably be the same if earning the same level.

American Citizens abroad aca.ch says differently:
Basically, the situation is this: If you're residing abroad either as a "bona fide" resident or for a definite period (more than a year) you probably qualify for the $85,700 (for the 2007 tax year) exclusion. If you've earned more than that, you pay US taxes at full rates on the part above $85,700. From your US tax, you can usually subtract foreign taxes actually paid (on the same income above $85,700).
Housing expenses can also be excluded--up to a certain maximum depending on where you live. See the revised Treasury Notice 2007-77

That means according to my understanding, that 85.700 Dollars woudl be untaxed which is pretty good. Do I misunderstand something?

Vimto Jun 21st 2008 1:57 am

Alex are reading it correct, hubby will have to pay US taxes on salary over the $85K but the extras such as housing , car, education, relocation allowances, annual flights home etc. can mainly be excluded, especially if he is working for a non american company who will not report his compensation to the US Government via a W2

Bob Jun 21st 2008 3:36 pm

I thought that $85K limit was for countries that had a dual tax treaty with the US to prevent double taxation.

I didn't realise the US had a treaty with the UAE, being a income tax free country.

US citizens in other tax free countries still have to file and pay taxes on income.

alexalexa Jun 21st 2008 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6489356)
I thought that $85K limit was for countries that had a dual tax treaty with the US to prevent double taxation.

I didn't realise the US had a treaty with the UAE, being a income tax free country.

US citizens in other tax free countries still have to file and pay taxes on income.

I don't think that the UAE has a tax treaty witht he United States...