Reload this Page >

Job-Hunting & Moving Back to UK

Job-Hunting & Moving Back to UK

Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:33 am
Just Joined

asally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job-Hunting & Moving Back to UK

Hello! I really need some advice.
After 10 years in Dubai, I have decided to move back to the UK within the next few months.
If you have relocated back to the UK from the Middle East, how did you go about finding a job? Does applying online on the usual sites (e.g. LinkedIn) work?
I feel employers would just choose people who are already in the country over someone overseas.
Did you resign first and go back to the UK and find a job while there? I know that is more risky.

Any advice would be helpful, many thanks!
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 4:30 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job-Hunting & Moving Back to UK

Originally Posted by asally
Hello! I really need some advice.
After 10 years in Dubai, I have decided to move back to the UK within the next few months.
If you have relocated back to the UK from the Middle East, how did you go about finding a job? Does applying online on the usual sites (e.g. LinkedIn) work?
I feel employers would just choose people who are already in the country over someone overseas.
Did you resign first and go back to the UK and find a job while there? I know that is more risky.

Any advice would be helpful, many thanks!
I've been looking at roles back home for almost eight months now with nothing more than a few telephone interviews and people who want to pay peanuts by UK standards for my experience.

Obviously some fields are more in demand than others but I have found LinkedIn rarely gains any response but keep plugging away as part of a wider job hunting strategy anyway because you never know, most UK recruiters are as disinterested as Dubai recruiters but if you keep following up with them they will keep you in mind and something comes up eventually from what I have been told.

I wouldn't resign and go back if I could help it - I prefer to have something to walk into as I hate even short gaps in income.

Some people in the UK think we don't work over here and just sit on beaches after drinking at brunches waiting to be arrested so we can be in the Daily Mail. I think the trick is finding employers who know the region or who need someone with overseas experience. Again, it depends on your field though. For me I have discovered I am probably best suited for larger firms who want a man on the ground here without a big set up...so I might be sticking around if one of those roles comes up - but with more travel back home.

N.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

After 10 years here I’d not be looking to work full time again, ever. 3 to go.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I've been looking at roles back home for almost eight months now with nothing more than a few telephone interviews and people who want to pay peanuts by UK standards for my experience.

Obviously some fields are more in demand than others but I have found LinkedIn rarely gains any response but keep plugging away as part of a wider job hunting strategy anyway because you never know, most UK recruiters are as disinterested as Dubai recruiters but if you keep following up with them they will keep you in mind and something comes up eventually from what I have been told.

I wouldn't resign and go back if I could help it - I prefer to have something to walk into as I hate even short gaps in income.

Some people in the UK think we don't work over here and just sit on beaches after drinking at brunches waiting to be arrested so we can be in the Daily Mail. I think the trick is finding employers who know the region or who need someone with overseas experience. Again, it depends on your field though. For me I have discovered I am probably best suited for larger firms who want a man on the ground here without a big set up...so I might be sticking around if one of those roles comes up - but with more travel back home.

N.
Thanks for your thoughts N. Doesn't sound like this is going to be easy! But it's also incredibly hard to get a decent job here in Dubai these days so home is a better option, I guess I just have to be patient.

Don't we just sit on beaches and brunch?! Are you worried about going back? I will miss the lifestyle but I guess you can't stay here forever.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pongo
After 10 years here I’d not be looking to work full time again, ever. 3 to go.
Sounds like you're counting down! Not a fan?
Unfortunately I can't retire at my age just yet, I'm only 29
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asally
Sounds like you're counting down! Not a fan?
Unfortunately I can't retire at my age just yet, I'm only 29
No, I am quite happy with the job and lifestyle..just planned to leave by then and do something completely different, and part-time. Project managing property development after investing my millions.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

A CV with 10 years in the Middle East will deter most employers. I spent many years in the Region but my game plan latterly was to keep working in the ME until it was time to retire. It would be interesting to hera from those who managed to re-enetr the Labour market back home after a spell in Arabia Deserta.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
A CV with 10 years in the Middle East will deter most employers. I spent many years in the Region but my game plan latterly was to keep working in the ME until it was time to retire. It would be interesting to hera from those who managed to re-enetr the Labour market back home after a spell in Arabia Deserta.
Why would 10 years of work experience in the Middle East deter employees? What if it's relevant experience?
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 3:16 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Depends on the industry in my opinion, construction for example is reasonably transferable back to Europe. The construction techniques and standards in Europe are higher than anywhere else but the sheer scale and logistics of projects in the ME is greater. So I'm finding that companies will look at you for that management ability and assume that you are smart enough to get quickly back up to speed with European norms.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 5:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Depends on the industry in my opinion, construction for example is reasonably transferable back to Europe. The construction techniques and standards in Europe are higher than anywhere else but the sheer scale and logistics of projects in the ME is greater. So I'm finding that companies will look at you for that management ability and assume that you are smart enough to get quickly back up to speed with European norms.
Counting beans is counting beans.

To the OP: A friend moved back after about 3yrs here, he secured a role from here and was all quite smooth. Just like everything, everywhere.... knowing someone to get you in the door will help massively. Maybe change your location on your CV to the UK? Tell recruiters you're moving back, it's all set for X Date and you'll be in the UK for two weeks from X-Y dates for interviews.

In reverse, when someone says they want to move here, unless they're world class I basically ignore them as tyre kickers. If someone gets in touch and says they'll be here on this date because their missus has a job here or whatever then we'll pay attention and give them some time.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pongo

No, I am quite happy with the job and lifestyle..just planned to leave by then and do something completely different, and part-time. Project managing property development after investing my millions.
quite right. I'm working towards 3-5 years more.

I will be project managing the procurement of meat for my BBQs. Obviously not going to the UK.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 10:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
quite right. I'm working towards 3-5 years more.

I will be project managing the procurement of meat for my BBQs. Obviously not going to the UK.
I will be working many, many more years than this. Especially if all wedding venues come back with an exclusive use charge of 85,000 GBP + minimum daily spend of 35,000 GBP. Almost fell off my chair laughing.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I will be working many, many more years than this. Especially if all wedding venues come back with an exclusive use charge of 85,000 GBP + minimum daily spend of 35,000 GBP. Almost fell off my chair laughing.
That's insane. Wait until you get a quote for the photographer, he must buy new equipment each and every time.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
That's insane. Wait until you get a quote for the photographer, he must buy new equipment each and every time.
I didn't realise it was that posh from the website or I wouldn't have bothered contacting them.

**** the photographer, I've suggested just collecting photos from people. The one that's framed at a friends house my mate took sat next to me as they walked out the doors at the back, it's beautiful, shot on an iPhone and free. The whole, stand in a field with your heads touching or kissing or pretending to be happy just fills me with dread. I'm sure I'll have to do some of it but it's all so completely unnatural, forced and, keeping in mind neither of us are paid models, it never ever ever ever looks that good.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
I didn't realise it was that posh from the website or I wouldn't have bothered contacting them.

**** the photographer, I've suggested just collecting photos from people. The one that's framed at a friends house my mate took sat next to me as they walked out the doors at the back, it's beautiful, shot on an iPhone and free. The whole, stand in a field with your heads touching or kissing or pretending to be happy just fills me with dread. I'm sure I'll have to do some of it but it's all so completely unnatural, forced and, keeping in mind neither of us are paid models, it never ever ever ever looks that good.
I couldn't agree with you more. She probably won't see it that way, and a drone is almost compulsory these days. I have a DVD too - terrible, I refused to watch it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.