Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job-Hunting & Moving Back to UK

Job-Hunting & Moving Back to UK

Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job-Hunting & Moving Back to UK

Originally Posted by asally
Hello! I really need some advice.
After 10 years in Dubai, I have decided to move back to the UK within the next few months.
If you have relocated back to the UK from the Middle East, how did you go about finding a job? Does applying online on the usual sites (e.g. LinkedIn) work?
I feel employers would just choose people who are already in the country over someone overseas.
Did you resign first and go back to the UK and find a job while there? I know that is more risky.

Any advice would be helpful, many thanks!
Hello Sally,

People fall into two categories. Those with proper careers / professions (construction management, finance, chartered architects and surveyors and engineers, solicitors) tend to have minimal difficulties returning to the UK and quite often go back via internal transfers or a job in hand. I came out to the Gulf twice, went back home via internal transfer, and once again I'm going back via internal transfer. My mates in these professions who quit and went home always found something soon enough.

The other category are jobs with no charterships or certifications. Think generic administrative roles. HR roles. Paper pushing roles. Low level marketing roles. It's always going to be very difficult finding jobs from abroad and for that you need to be in the UK. Think of it from the perspective of the employer. Why risk hiring someone face unseen from Dubai when you can hire someone locally? Save your money, bite the bullet and go home and spend a few months chasing after everything and you'll find something. Unemployment is so low and so tight with increasing shortage of labour that it's next to impossible not to find a basic administrative role.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I will be working many, many more years than this. Especially if all wedding venues come back with an exclusive use charge of 85,000 GBP + minimum daily spend of 35,000 GBP. Almost fell off my chair laughing.
I've been to many, many weddings and enjoyed them all, but the costs are insane. If I ever get married it's nipping down to the registrar's and a nice lunch afterwards. I ain't spending all that money feeding you bland chicken when I can blow it on an amazing holiday.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Hello Sally,

People fall into two categories. Those with proper careers / professions (construction management, finance, chartered architects and surveyors and engineers, solicitors) tend to have minimal difficulties returning to the UK and quite often go back via internal transfers or a job in hand. I came out to the Gulf twice, went back home via internal transfer, and once again I'm going back via internal transfer. My mates in these professions who quit and went home always found something soon enough.

The other category are jobs with no charterships or certifications. Think generic administrative roles. HR roles. Paper pushing roles. Low level marketing roles. It's always going to be very difficult finding jobs from abroad and for that you need to be in the UK. Think of it from the perspective of the employer. Why risk hiring someone face unseen from Dubai when you can hire someone locally? Save your money, bite the bullet and go home and spend a few months chasing after everything and you'll find something. Unemployment is so low and so tight with increasing shortage of labour that it's next to impossible not to find a basic administrative role.
Interestingly, your advice is the same. The engineers or solicitor friends of yours quit and found something back home 'soon enough'....similarly....Sally is obviously a pleb in your eyes and can only manage a 'basic administrative role' and she should just 'bite the bullet' and soon enough she'll 'find something'.

Good effort on the trolling though, just need a bit more attention to detail to really pull it off. 4/10.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I've been to many, many weddings and enjoyed them all, but the costs are insane. If I ever get married it's nipping down to the registrar's and a nice lunch afterwards. I ain't spending all that money feeding you bland chicken when I can blow it on an amazing holiday.
Yeah I'm quite similar in many respects, I'd be happy with that, but then sometimes I like the idea of a proper party with friends and family over two days. We'll see.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 3:58 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I didn't realise it was that posh from the website or I wouldn't have bothered contacting them.

**** the photographer, I've suggested just collecting photos from people. The one that's framed at a friends house my mate took sat next to me as they walked out the doors at the back, it's beautiful, shot on an iPhone and free. The whole, stand in a field with your heads touching or kissing or pretending to be happy just fills me with dread. I'm sure I'll have to do some of it but it's all so completely unnatural, forced and, keeping in mind neither of us are paid models, it never ever ever ever looks that good.
Originally Posted by Millhouse
I couldn't agree with you more. She probably won't see it that way, and a drone is almost compulsory these days. I have a DVD too - terrible, I refused to watch it.

Um.... Gotta disagree there. A friend/colleague took my wedding photos (this is well before the era of digital), and assuring me that he was experienced and competent, I lent him my top-notch gear (world's first auto-focus camera, plus a couple of zoom lenses -- OK, not Leica, but fine enough). Absolute crap. I asked him later why he hadn't used the zoom. Zoom? I didn't know you had one...

On the other hand and at completely the other end of the scale, a Korean friend recently got hitched (in Korea). Don't know how much the photos cost, but it included a day about a week before the wedding (both in full regalia), and the pics are just ... stunning.

I still get the occasional whinge after 32 years about our appalling wedding photos. Next time (ha!) I'll either have none at all, or use someone who knows what s/he's doing.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Um.... Gotta disagree there. A friend/colleague took my wedding photos (this is well before the era of digital), and assuring me that he was experienced and competent, I lent him my top-notch gear (world's first auto-focus camera, plus a couple of zoom lenses -- OK, not Leica, but fine enough). Absolute crap. I asked him later why he hadn't used the zoom. Zoom? I didn't know you had one...

On the other hand and at completely the other end of the scale, a Korean friend recently got hitched (in Korea). Don't know how much the photos cost, but it included a day about a week before the wedding (both in full regalia), and the pics are just ... stunning.

I still get the occasional whinge after 32 years about our appalling wedding photos. Next time (ha!) I'll either have none at all, or use someone who knows what s/he's doing.
In Kenya it is customary to also have photos of the woman and men getting ready for the day. No one told me and I was up and dressed well before the camera man showed up. Ended up taking him in my Uber to get a coffee with my mate... and spilling a load of the coffee down my white trousers. Everyone looked at me in shock until I just burst out laughing. That set the tone for a very funny day - especially our cake that had to be emergency reassembled as it was involved in a car crash on the way to the venue. In some pictures it’s at a clear 30degree angle.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 8:14 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asally
Thanks for your thoughts N. Doesn't sound like this is going to be easy! But it's also incredibly hard to get a decent job here in Dubai these days so home is a better option, I guess I just have to be patient.

Don't we just sit on beaches and brunch?! Are you worried about going back? I will miss the lifestyle but I guess you can't stay here forever.
Like anywhere a lot depends on your field, what the market is short of and how well connected you and/or how good your networking skills are.

I know people with in-demand skills who are struggling and people who seemingly do and know very little who are doing very well. Dubai is definately a harder bet now with huge downward pressure on wages - large numbers of people still come to look for work. At least in the UK you can pick up any old job to keep you busy and earn some pennies if you are really in need. I knows people who went back and worked in pubs or supermarkets to keep themselves going until something same up. Most people who go back adjust and get on with it.

I have been messed around for a while now with salary and commisions so going back is not a concern - had to scale back on the lifestyle ages ago, and was never big on it anyway and prefer the simple life.

N.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 5:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy

Don't get me wrong, I'd like some nice photos, just nothing....noddy. I'm not a model (could be though, let's face it) and will not feel comfortable doing it, nor will she - I know.

Oh well, we'll see. Had another quote come back at 50 grand. The more reasonably priced ones we can both find faults with which isn't a good sign.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

@ OP look at contracting with day rates you'll find it's an easy market to get into and checkout the market place, contracts can last anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months or longer. They pay you gross you can register and setup a company and enjoy some tax benefits (there are loads of accounting firms that do all the tax etc for a few hundred pounds). And if you find an employer that you like to work its an easy way to find a perm role. This is all assuming that you are willing to quit and move back.

ER
Old Aug 28th 2018, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a photographer, get one who will give you the rights to the photos and transfer the final TIFF or RAW files to you (not all of them obviously, nobody wants 2000 unedited RAW photos). There's nothing worse than not owning your own photos and having to pay the photographer every time you want a copy.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 6:34 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
If you get a photographer, get one who will give you the rights to the photos and transfer the final TIFF or RAW files to you (not all of them obviously, nobody wants 2000 unedited RAW photos). There's nothing worse than not owning your own photos and having to pay the photographer every time you want a copy.
Hi-res scans.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Was at a wedding in Boracay. They used a group of local photographers. By the time we sat down for the dinner they had already formatted enough images from the ceremony 2hrs earlier to have a few minutes long slide show. They were an epic crew.