Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job Dillema...Is it enough money? because it doesnt include living allowance

Job Dillema...Is it enough money? because it doesnt include living allowance

Old May 3rd 2008, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

ZJCOOPS is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Job Dillema...Is it enough money? because it doesnt include living allowance

Hey everyone!

You guys have all been so helpful and I hope you dont mind but I have a few more questions.

I have been having interviews for media sales exhibitions, as a project manager, sales mgr etc- some have been horrendous, and one great one and they have put in an offer:

* 19k, first month free accommodation, 1 flight home a year & 30 days hol. (also if I am serious they will fly me out b4 hand to see the offcie & people)

I love the role, the company the show and the CEO but is what they are offering enough??

Q?? - The question I am really keen to know is what other living allowance other people get? is it different in different industries??

Am I getting a slightly higher wage to compensate for the no living allowance do you think??
(I am having interviews with the likes of IIR, IQPT, Channels, Terrapin.)

Cheers in advance for your help - your the best! :0)

:0)
Old May 3rd 2008, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Dillema...Is it enough money? because it doesnt include living allowance

as western expat salaries go its very much on the low side
however if you are single and don't mind sharing accommodation then its doable!
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

ZJCOOPS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Dillema...Is it enough money? because it doesnt include living allowance

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Hey there ! thanks for the quick reply.

What do you think I should be realistically looking at for 6 years sales expereince and going for sales mgr and project mgr roles??- also is it the done thing to negociate higher even though I have strongly expressed my concern for the lack in living allowance? Most companies offer 3 months allowance a year - should I expect this?
Old May 4th 2008, 4:48 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
You will more than likely need some cash as well to start yourseslf up, a few grand at least.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:49 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZJCOOPS
Hey there ! thanks for the quick reply.

What do you think I should be realistically looking at for 6 years sales expereince and going for sales mgr and project mgr roles??- also is it the done thing to negociate higher even though I have strongly expressed my concern for the lack in living allowance? Most companies offer 3 months allowance a year - should I expect this?
oh christ, 19k but no libing allowance, thats not good at all. I get 70k which isn't loads, but in english terms thats £10k almost, so you definately want that - and most places to rent you have to pay a year in advance, so you'd have to fork that out yourself.

I wouldn't go anywhere without a living allowance.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:51 am
W10

It is certainly liveable if you are single, I know a lot of people earning a lot less who do absolutely fine.

I don't know much about event management salaries, but I guess the market could be saturated??

Old May 4th 2008, 5:12 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

You may wish to consider what was so "great" about that one interview and so "horrendous" about the others. Maybe one was simply better at selling the position or the company than the others. Why not find out a little more (ie.from here) about the company who offered you the job to establish whether the offer is fair and whether it can be raised to include a housing allowance? Where exactly are their offices located?
Old May 4th 2008, 5:23 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by lionheart
You may wish to consider what was so "great" about that one interview and so "horrendous" about the others. Maybe one was simply better at selling the position or the company than the others. Why not find out a little more (ie.from here) about the company who offered you the job to establish whether the offer is fair and whether it can be raised to include a housing allowance? Where exactly are their offices located?
I had 2 solid job offers for me, one was with a lad I knew from back home, with a load of english/europeans - or another with almost all indians/arabs, but the 2nd one paid a lot more, I wanted the first one but went for the money - turns out its actually a pretty good job after all, so I'm very happy I took it.
Old May 4th 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

I work for one of the companies OP mentioned, wouldn't be surprised if it was the one the offer came from. That basic is about bang on for most of the people in my situation, but you make no mention of profit share/commission. It is standard for this to match or exceed the monthly basic in our firm. I suggest you talk to people in the some of the firms involved as the profitability of your specific event will dictate a good portion of your take home. PM me the details if you wish.
CH