British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   job concerns (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/job-concerns-528872/)

sparky15 Apr 12th 2008 6:59 pm

job concerns

hi, I have been offered a job in dubai which i will be accepting. my gf plans to join.she works in administration but doesnt have a degree and is very concerned she wont be able to get a job.
do you think this will be a problem?
thanks for any advice.

ScotsExpat Apr 12th 2008 7:03 pm

Re: job concerns

Originally Posted by sparky15 (Post 6199190)
hi, I have been offered a job in dubai which i will be accepting. my gf plans to join.she works in administration but doesnt have a degree and is very concerned she wont be able to get a job.
thanks for any advice.

First things first....

GF's and sponsored visa's is a sticky situation.... This isnt Europe / USA etc... This is a muslim country...... Unless she is your wife, under Shariah law, it is illegal for you to even see her face..........

admon Apr 12th 2008 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by sparky15 (Post 6199190)
thanks for any advice.

From what you said previously, she works in job placement (in a rough kind of way).
The degree won't stop her from getting a job, but if she is just going for a general admin job that any Tom, Dick or Harry could do, then salaries are VERY low, as she can be competing with indian continent workers hapy to work for far less.
Of course she may be able to find a prestigeous company that demands Westerners for its admin staff, but be forewarned.

admon Apr 12th 2008 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6199195)
First things first....

GF's and sponsored visa's is a sticky situation.... This isnt Europe / USA etc... This is a muslim country...... Unless she is your wife, under Shariah law, it is illegal for you to even see her face..........

Come on man, don't stitch him up.
We all know what the law says and what the law does here...

Inselaffen Apr 12th 2008 7:06 pm

looks like you'd better get down on 1 knee and pop the big question!

admon Apr 12th 2008 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6199195)
First things first....

BUT
Scotsexpat makes a very good point about your girlfriends visa.
It will be made more difficult for her to find a job, as the company will have to provide her with a visa, rather than a wife who is already under her husbands visa.

ScotsExpat Apr 12th 2008 7:11 pm

Sparky,
I didnt mean to scare you but it would appear that you have a limited knowledge of what the ME is like........

You can only sponsor a visa to your wife and kids... You cannot sponsor your GF's visa.... The UAE embassy in London would have to see a marriage cert for her to be legal here...

She can, of course, come in on a visit visa and attempt to find work but Arab employers have a hard-on for degrees for even their admin staff...

If its possible for her to get a transfer with a current employer, no worries.....

If not, then she will be looking for a western co that wants a white face / English voice for a reception desk somewhere

sparky15 Apr 12th 2008 7:13 pm

Yea we know she needs her own visa and know quite abit since she has lived in UAE before.

She has a good friend working for hays recruiment and says she wont have a problem, however there is always a shotgun wedding.

ScotsExpat Apr 12th 2008 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by sparky15 (Post 6199235)
Yea we know she needs her own visa and know quite abit since she has lived in UAE before.

She has a good friend working for hays recruiment and says she wont have a problem, however there is always a shotgun wedding.

OK, sorry mate....

Wasnt sure if you were aware of that, as most people arent when they first come out here.........

admon Apr 12th 2008 7:19 pm

Yep. You wouldnt be the first person here to have the gun at their head.
Thats great that your gf already has contacts here for work - it really is a 'who you know' place.

Just a heads up on the visit visa situation here.
It used to be the case that you could enter the country (UK passport), get a 60 day visa, leave the country. Re-enter, 60 day visa, leave the country. Re-enter... forever. This has now been stopped.

You can only use that 60 day visa twice consecutively, then you have to be absent from the country for 30 days, before you can repeat the process.

It has been introduced to stop people living/working/both here, but only having visit visa status.

Inselaffen Apr 12th 2008 7:22 pm

she will probably be able to find something and the degree thing shouldnt be a problem. but it may not pay fantastic. but in combination with your salary it should give you a good enough life out here. and its worth a try just for the experience.

as I mentioned you may be better off sharing a villa or apartment as your budget gives you few options for a place of your own.

Norm_uk Apr 13th 2008 2:54 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6199246)
Yep. You wouldnt be the first person here to have the gun at their head.
Thats great that your gf already has contacts here for work - it really is a 'who you know' place.

Just a heads up on the visit visa situation here.
It used to be the case that you could enter the country (UK passport), get a 60 day visa, leave the country. Re-enter, 60 day visa, leave the country. Re-enter... forever. This has now been stopped.

You can only use that 60 day visa twice consecutively, then you have to be absent from the country for 30 days, before you can repeat the process.

It has been introduced to stop people living/working/both here, but only having visit visa status.

The visa situation is the same for Brits and the other 30 so nationalities...we can come and go as we please...I know plenty of people who are still doing it.

N.

Old Lob Apr 13th 2008 4:25 am

Why not get a new girlfriend who has got a degree?

twinkle-star Apr 13th 2008 6:02 am

Get down on one knee and ask the women to marry you ...Problem solved!

Then she can some out here and spend her days sunbathing and attending coffee mornings whilst you work hard to support her! :D

admon Apr 13th 2008 6:09 am

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6200524)
Get down on one knee and ask the women to marry you ...Problem solved!

Then she can some out here and spend her days sunbathing and attending coffee mornings whilst you work hard to support her! :D

Make a pre nup and clearly state that she has to work a minimum 35 hour week.
Maybe put something in there about mandatory ironing and cleaning as well.....