Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man in UAE - driving licence

Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man in UAE - driving licence

Old Mar 10th 2015, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

LuapGib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man in UAE - driving licence

Following on from a now closed thread a few years back, I thought I'd make some comments, from experience, for anyone moving to UAE from Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man. Driving licenses from the Crown Dependencies are NOT accepted (at least not in Dubai) for the purposes of conversion from UK to UAE driving license that is presently possible for British Citizens that move to UAE from the UK. The authorities in UAE seem to be well aware that the Dependencies are not part of the UK. Normally, this could mean that someone coming to UAE from the Crown Dependencies with a Jersey/Guernsey/IOM license would have to take the compulsory driving lessons, and attempt to pass a local UAE driving test. This can prove costly and lengthy.

However... if you are a British Citizen (certain other nationalities might also qualify but I don't know for sure) and once had a driving license from UK, and have a lot of resolve, you can try to get a letter from DVLA confirming your UK driving entitlement. Then you could get a copy of the letter notarized or certified in the UK (following the instructions on the FCO legalization website), and then legalized by the FCO itself, and then further legalized by the Embassy of the UAE in London... If the outcome is successful, you would need to visit the Head Office of the RTA (not one of the service centres) in Dubai (assuming you are Dubai based) with all the relevant documents that would normally be required, and your legalized DVLA letter, and explain things to the senior people there. If satisfied, they might annotate your documents with an instruction for the service centre to accept them. Only then, in my experience, would the service centre proceed to process and issue a UAE driving license.

Or - take your chances with the lessons and tests!

I gather that there are moves afoot for recognition of these Crown Dependencies licenses for UAE conversion purposes, but this might take some time.

Good luck!