Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Jeddah Suicide Bombing

Jeddah Suicide Bombing

Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jeddah Suicide Bombing

This is a worrying development for the increasing number of Brits evidently craving the Saudi lifestyle...

http://www.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/sa.../10344202.html
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice
Default Re: Jeddah Suicide Bombing

It's an unfortunate event - but it shouldn't put Brits or for that matter other expats off from coming to KSA. We need to put these things in context - KSA is still a very safe country compared to most in this world and the Saudi Govt. are cracking down severely on militant factions.

Last edited by Danajj; Aug 28th 2009 at 3:00 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
This is a worrying development for the increasing number of Brits evidently craving the Saudi lifestyle...

http://www.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/sa.../10344202.html
It appears to have been a purely Islamic target...........
Old Aug 28th 2009, 4:29 pm
Northerner - Obhur

Spurss is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by The Dean
It appears to have been a purely Islamic target...........
Hi,
I think that Islam does not say that you must kill people to be in heaven ?

Terrorism has no religion
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spurss
Hi,

Quite right Spurss, agree with you totally.

The Saudi authorities do seem keen on stamping out all terrorist activities, recently they arrested 44 suspects lined to Al Qaeda, and this is a reaction to that, and I still feel pretty safe here in Saudi, I think it's one of the safest places to be.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I merely meant that the objective of this suicide bomber was to take out a member of the Saudi royal family, not a "Western" target.

It was a reply to Shadya's comment about it being a worrying development 'for the Brits'.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 11:24 pm
Northerner - Obhur

Sir, no problem i just wanted to clear that even though Prince Mohammed bn Naif (Deputy Minister of Interior) and all the Royal family are muslims. If Islam says do not kill innocents 'Even foreigners'. How can a Muslim kills a Muslim? In Saudi Arabia thanks God safety is widespread in all regions.
What I knew you lived in Saudi Arabia, You , I and any1 know anything about the area should clarify things for people who know nothing about it.

The Dean You have all my respect and appreciation

Last edited by Spurss; Aug 28th 2009 at 11:40 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Sir, no problem i just wanted to clear that even though Prince Mohammed bn Naif (Deputy Minister of Interior) and all the Royal family are muslims. If Islam says do not kill innocents 'Even foreigners'. How can a Muslim kills a Muslim? In Saudi Arabia thanks God safety is widespread in all regions.
What I knew you lived in Saudi Arabia, You , I and any1 know anything about the area should clarify things for people who know nothing about it.

The Dean You have all my respect and appreciation
They kill other muslims because they don't consider them muslims. As for thanking god, what has thor got to do with it?
Old Aug 29th 2009, 4:31 pm
Northerner - Obhur

Originally Posted by benzonar
They kill other muslims because they don't consider them muslims. As for thanking god, what has thor got to do with it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPhu5DR14iM&feature=fvw Ramadan Kareem
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about this bothers me - the prince got away with only minor injuries.

Good luck to him, but how was no-one else injured ? If someone walks in there with some C4 or a grenade on him and it goes off it would be have to be the miracles of miracles if the prince was the only way who got a scratch.

Methinks the whole truth about this is not being told. [And don't tell me it was the Will of Allah; he doesn't worry about where C4 etc. is used elsewhere]
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Peace would have a better chance without constant reference to imaginry friends.
Abracadabra!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:04 am
Just Joined

norseman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
I merely meant that the objective of this suicide bomber was to take out a member of the Saudi royal family, not a "Western" target.

It was a reply to Shadya's comment about it being a worrying development 'for the Brits'.
My first posting, so I don't want to appear negative but the attack on Prince MBN proved that AQ can penetrate the highest level of security, despite all the arrests and crackdowns over the years by the Saudi authorities.
I agree that the attack was not against a western target but Prince Nayef recently stated that they expect the situation to get worse. Security at major oil and energy facilities have been increased, western expats work at these places so could be an incidental target.

Where AQ cannot carry-out major attack, they will go for soft targets of opportunity, which includes westerners. This is a time for western expats to remain alert.

Cheers...
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by norseman
My first posting, so I don't want to appear negative but the attack on Prince MBN proved that AQ can penetrate the highest level of security, despite all the arrests and crackdowns over the years by the Saudi authorities.
I agree that the attack was not against a western target but Prince Nayef recently stated that they expect the situation to get worse. Security at major oil and energy facilities have been increased, western expats work at these places so could be an incidental target.

Where AQ cannot carry-out major attack, they will go for soft targets of opportunity, which includes westerners. This is a time for western expats to remain alert.

Cheers...
According to reports in the 'Arab News' this was an arranged meeting between the Prince and his attacker, who was turning himself in. As a sign of good faith, he was not searched before the meeting.

This could be true, or an attempt to cover up the inept security arrangements.

Whilst I agree AQ will go for anything that gets them attention, their main target is the house of Saud, who they view as decadent playboy princelings.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:02 am
Just Joined

norseman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
According to reports in the 'Arab News' this was an arranged meeting between the Prince and his attacker, who was turning himself in. As a sign of good faith, he was not searched before the meeting.

This could be true, or an attempt to cover up the inept security arrangements.

Whilst I agree AQ will go for anything that gets them attention, their main target is the house of Saud, who they view as decadent playboy princelings.
Fully agree, that the Saudi Royal family are the prime target, the IED was inside the body, so it is fair to assume that no cavity search was carried out and normal searches would not detect it. It was a meeting in good faith from MBN side and AQ took advantage of it.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by norseman
Fully agree, that the Saudi Royal family are the prime target, the IED was inside the body, so it is fair to assume that no cavity search was carried out and normal searches would not detect it. It was a meeting in good faith from MBN side and AQ took advantage of it.
The bomb was inside his body??

Before leaving home, he probably asked his wife: "Does my bomb look big in this?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.