Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Jeddah or Malaysia? Any help!

Jeddah or Malaysia? Any help!

Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough
Default Jeddah or Malaysia? Any help!

Hi all, I have a problem that I am hoping you can help me with. I am a secondary teacher and as such am wanting to take my first job overseas this September. I have the fortunate position of being offered two jobs! One in Jeddah in SA, while the other is in Putrajaya, Malaysia. As you are all 'experts' in one form or another in the ways of SA the Jeddah position is at the Jeddah Knowledge School. Both offering similar salaries etc, except that JKS includes accommodation at Sharbatly Village, while Malaysia school give me an allowance and a contact at a local estate agent! So single male, (no family coming with me) which would you go for? O, and why? Thanks all.

Last edited by 1967tazz; Mar 30th 2011 at 2:18 pm. Reason: Detail
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Jeddah or Malaysia? Any help!

Originally Posted by 1967tazz
Hi all, I have a problem that I am hoping you can help me with. I am a secondary teacher and as such am wanting to take my first job overseas this September. I have the fortunate position of being offered two jobs! One in Jeddah in SA, while the other is in Putrajaya, Malaysia. As you are all 'experts' in one form or another in the ways of SA the Jeddah position is at the Jeddah Knowledge School. Both offering similar salaries etc, except that JKS includes accommodation at Sharbatly Village, while Malaysia school give me an allowance and a contact at a local estate agent! So single male, (no family coming with me) which would you go for? O, and why? Thanks all.
I am not a teacher, but having been to both places I would say there is no contest.....................Malaysia.

Saudi is the worst place I have worked in! But if you want to save as much money as you can, then SA is the place!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Malaysia. No brainer.

Putrajaya is a blandish new town which has govt in but it is near enough to KL.

Spent the day in Jeddah today and am not a fan at all of the place. at all.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

5herry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

I've not been to Jeddah but lived in Putrajaya for 6 months in 2005 and think Malaysia's an amazing place.

Highly recommend it- recently built PJaya & it's only 40mins from KL so you're close to the main action as well.

S.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm not a teacher either, and I also haven't been to Malaysia, but did live in Jeddah for nearly two years. I did know a couple of people on Sharbatly Village, and it had a pretty good social life, and as a single male, provided you're outgoing enough, you should see enough 'action' on that compound.

But Saudi is a pretty restrictive place to live, and even with Jeddah generally recognised as the most 'liberal' city, it still has plenty of limitations. I did much prefer it to Riyadh, but that isn't really saying much. I did come across plenty of singles and couples who had lived in Saudi for many years and loved it. Jeddah as you will know is on the coast, so has a few water based activities - scuba diving, fishing, snorkelling, it has 'private' beaches a short drive out of town, and if you want a desert experience, that's not too far away either.

Having said all of that, if the money's the same, I'd be pretty tempted by Malaysia, if the housing isn't going to cost you big bucks, then the lifestyle will be a lot freer I imagine.

Good luck
Old Mar 31st 2011, 5:43 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Saudi Arabia or Malaysia? Unless you're a devout Muslim (peace be with you), believe that North Korea has a model political system, love sand to the exclusion of pretty much everything else, detest cultural depth and breadth, or think that your mind will be expanded by living somewhere where "freedom" is living in a compound where the natives aren't welcome, I might just gently nudge you in the direction of Malaysia.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:44 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you are nuts it has to be Malaysia. So ask yourself ..am I nuts?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel central
Unless you are nuts it has to be Malaysia. So ask yourself ..am I nuts?
Totally.

Malays are pretty friendly people and the food is fabulous. The country is also way more attractive than KSA.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Saudi.

I don't mean that of course, but in the interests of BBC style anti-bias I thought I'd back the outsider.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Saudi.

I don't mean that of course, but in the interests of BBC style anti-bias I thought I'd back the outsider.
So, we have erm... no votes for SA! and this from a SA forum... why is that? I get housing, and more cash. As Saudi expats why would you give this up for Malaysia?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I did much prefer it to Riyadh, but that isn't really saying much.
A few peeps say this too but I can't see it myself.

I'd only been to north Jeddah and quite nice Andalus area before. Went downtown yesterday. What a shithole. Much prefer Riyadh. Dryer climate (god send in summer evenings), golf courses, embassies, bigger expat network.

On the plus side there's a little Jakata area down by Jeddah ports that looks like it does authentic far eastern hawker stall tuck for the Indonesian Hajjers
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:02 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

So, we have erm... no votes for SA! and this from a SA forum... why is that? I get housing, and more cash. As Saudi expats why would you give this up for Malaysia?
Because most people are speaking from experience with KSA, I don't know Malaysia but I am judging it on the factor that there can be no place on this earth worse to live than KSA.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:09 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel central
Because most people are speaking from experience with KSA, I don't know Malaysia but I am judging it on the factor that there can be no place on this earth worse to live than KSA.
not been to either Country but I will agree with you on that, my husband lived in KSA for years and describes it as a shit hole with Arabs
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:16 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
not been to either Country but I will agree with you on that, my husband lived in KSA for years and describes it as a shit hole with Arabs
been to both.

Malaysia hands down. Cheaper cost of living. Many freedoms with some restrictions. Friendly people. Great places to travel to in the region.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Go for Saudi and post in 6 months that it isn't great.

This lot would LOVE to say "I told you so".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.