Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Jeddah family life?

Jeddah family life?

Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:55 am
Just Joined

acoustic_toothbrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jeddah family life?

Hi, I have searched the forum for a bit and would like some information on aspects of life in Jeddah. I am a teacher and am considering the British school, amongst others in the region, as a possible option. Is Jeddah considered safe? In terms of recreational opportunities is it possible to get to the beach in reasonable time and for reasonable cost? How bad is the air pollution in that locality- the school is north of the city centre not far from the airport? Any informed comment would be gratefully received. We are a family of four from downunder.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:59 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jeddah family life?

Although I left Jeddah in May 2006, my recollection is that the British School is located in a pleasant enough area. The airport won't be a problem. Don't expect family style Ozzie beaches, but there are private beaches owned by hotel chains which offer excellent amenities at a reasonable price. There is also a nice resort only 40kms north of Jeddah where you can escape over the weekend. Can't recall its name but it has a golf course as well as beaches. Good luck.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acoustic_toothbrush
Hi, I have searched the forum for a bit and would like some information on aspects of life in Jeddah. I am a teacher and am considering the British school, amongst others in the region, as a possible option. Is Jeddah considered safe? In terms of recreational opportunities is it possible to get to the beach in reasonable time and for reasonable cost? How bad is the air pollution in that locality- the school is north of the city centre not far from the airport? Any informed comment would be gratefully received. We are a family of four from downunder.
Have you referred your User ID to the "User ID Approvals Committee"?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Er...no. I was hoping my ID would have a low profile allowing me to avoid any brush with authority figures. Thanks for the replies and interest so far - much appreciated.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Jeddah family life/British International School?

Alternatively, if anyone is able to make informed comment about the British School in Jeddah I would appreciate that. I understand so far it is a good school. Would there be many Aussie/NZ expat children attending? Is it possible for kids to run around on grass field at all for sport? Or is it all astro-turf?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jeddah family life/British International School?

Originally Posted by acoustic_toothbrush
Alternatively, if anyone is able to make informed comment about the British School in Jeddah I would appreciate that. I understand so far it is a good school. Would there be many Aussie/NZ expat children attending? Is it possible for kids to run around on grass field at all for sport? Or is it all astro-turf?
No there won't be many Aussie/NZ kids there..........

.......... so it will be OK.............
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Spent a bit of time in Jeddah. Sports fields tend to be grass, normally a species of paspallum - just watch out for the usual sprinkler head injuries.

Jeddah on the whole is extremely humid, it is one of the few places that you actually become more wet when exiting the bath. The beaches are ik, and the diving is excellent - although be careful of locals and TCNs dynamite fishing on the local reefs.

Yanbu is a bit further north and offers some nice beaches and even better diving. Yoiu can also travel to Taif which tends to be a bit cooler in the summer (it's where the Royals tend to have summer houses).

Driving is horrendous, I would even rate it worse than Riyadh. Lots of crazy looing roundabouts (look out for the flying Mini).