Jeddah

Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

jamsie44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jeddah

Reading through the posts from people who actually live in Jeddah, it seems like a really good place to relocate. It must however have its downsides.

Can anyone actually living in Jeddah (as opposed to those who comment on sterotype) advise what the main downsides are/would be for me and my family (wife and 1 year old) if I move out to work in Jeddah. As a muslim no alcohol etc is normal for me.

I would be relocated by a large Saudi organisation so visa/accomodation etc is, I am advised, straightforward.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jeddah

Hi and welcome to the Board,

We live in Jeddah, been there for just about a year,and both myself and my wife enjoy living there.

As an expat,the lifestyle tends to be more relaxed, don't know if you worked abroad before, but this was the first time for us. As the company picks up all the accommodation costs, it eliminates a lot of those usual stresses, so leaving to relax a little more, so we find it a much easier way of life in general.

Jeddah is a big City, I'm sure you've already done your research, but putting in into context, apart from London, its bigger than any other City in the UK, so it had a big city feel to it. It has lots of history there, and in terms of Saudi life, has lots of shopping malls.

As you will know, women are not allowed to drive and must wear an abbaya when out of the compound. We are both muslim, so the lack of alcohol isn't a factor for us either, but occasionally my wife finds if frustrating that she can't go out shopping when she wants to.

Compound life tends to be quite relaxed, and most compounds will provide a whole range of amenities - shop / supermarket, restaraunt, gym, swimming pools etc. We live on an Arabian Homes compound , which are generally considered to be one of the best.

Eating out is cheap, and there is a whole range of different types of food - Jeddah has its own Pakistani quarter, so can get some decently cooked food quite easily! Shed loads of fast food too, if that's your thing.

The only thing you might just want to consider is your wife being at home with your child - if she is tuck to the compound, she may find that boring, but I would hope that she can make friends and develop her own social circle. Most compounds will also have some kindergarten of some type.

Beaches are nearby, as is Makkah,so depending on what you do at weekends, there is a choice, though some argue its a bit limiting. Its really down to you to make your own social life, but once you do so, it can be great city to live in. I work in Riyadh through the week, but love coming home to Jeddah at weekends.

It has its down sides too, but on balance, I think its a great place to live and work.