Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

ITV - Piers Morgan on Dubai

ITV - Piers Morgan on Dubai

Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

DD21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ITV - Piers Morgan on Dubai

Programme went out tonight on ITV tonight (ITV I player you can watch it on that) on the splendor of Dubai. Worth a watch apparently everything is just fine......Really???? Left in July and news does not seem to be as rosy as he makes it.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: ITV - Piers Morgan on Dubai

http://www.itv.com/Lifestyle/PiersMorganOn/default.html
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

stickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DD21
Programme went out tonight on ITV tonight (ITV I player you can watch it on that) on the splendor of Dubai. Worth a watch apparently everything is just fine......Really???? Left in July and news does not seem to be as rosy as he makes it.
Yeah I watched it tonight. Made it look like a wonderful place, if not a little on the expensive side and not the rather scary place where you can be thrown in jail for farting as I'd imagined.

Why did you leave in July? Was the tv programme sponsered by the Dubai tourish board?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:07 am
Account Closed

hehe saw it coming...sold up and shipped out. It is just not sustainable -period - what they are doing out there regardless of oil wealth. I was lucky when I bought and when I sold granted but I also think I had reasonable amount of judgement on it. - when an expat on a good salary cannot afford to buy a place and live within means then that means the market has over extended UK is not good but it will recover early 2010....IMO Dubai won't...talk about a credit bubble!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:09 am
Account Closed

Before I get loads of crappy replies about how I sold then looked at what an expat could afford....

1. Sold
2. Looked at buying again 12 months after buying my place in jbr
3. Made 50% in twelve months
4. Point 3 is just silly. That level of rise in property price is not sustainable.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DD21
hehe saw it coming...sold up and shipped out. It is just not sustainable -period - what they are doing out there regardless of oil wealth. I was lucky when I bought and when I sold granted but I also think I had reasonable amount of judgement on it. - when an expat on a good salary cannot afford to buy a place and live within means then that means the market has over extended UK is not good but it will recover early 2010....IMO Dubai won't...talk about a credit bubble!
UK is not good but it will recover early 2010

Are you sure?? You have to be joking............

The first in the world to recover - eventually - will be the US, with its greater levels of labour mobility and more sympathetic corporate tax structures. The US consumer will - eventually - start to pull in imports from other countries (the strong dollar makes them more affordable), so Asia in particular will start to show a few signs of life, reversing the collapse in export volumes that countries such as Taiwan have experienced in the last few months.

The UK of course will not benefit - we don't make anything any more, so we have nothing left to export.

UK recovery? It will be delayed in any case by the burden imposed by London hosting the Olympics, but I'm sure that, by about 2014, there will be some 'green shoots of recovery'..............
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:27 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean
UK is not good but it will recover early 2010

Are you sure?? You have to be joking............

The first in the world to recover - eventually - will be the US, with its greater levels of labour mobility and more sympathetic corporate tax structures. The US consumer will - eventually - start to pull in imports from other countries (the strong dollar makes them more affordable), so Asia in particular will start to show a few signs of life, reversing the collapse in export volumes that countries such as Taiwan have experienced in the last few months.

The UK of course will not benefit - we don't make anything any more, so we have nothing left to export.

UK recovery? It will be delayed in any case by the burden imposed by London hosting the Olympics, but I'm sure that, by about 2014, there will be some 'green shoots of recovery'..............
agree with your view of the UK (no production, not as significant consumer-base, etc.) but what about the possibility that the olympics will actually be the UK's equivalent of large self-investment stimulus? or is it just too small?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
agree with your view of the UK (no production, not as significant consumer-base, etc.) but what about the possibility that the olympics will actually be the UK's equivalent of large self-investment stimulus? or is it just too small?
Olympics Factor?

Interesting view but I see it as all expenditure with little revenue.

Or am I missing your point?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:20 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean
Olympics Factor?

Interesting view but I see it as all expenditure with little revenue.

Or am I missing your point?
was thinking if it might be a london equivalent of the eisenhower revival post-WW2 (that and perhaps a third runway @ LHR... )
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:20 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

just downloaded this, will watch it tonight
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Fins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Blue Cat, where did you find it to download? Can't find it on ITV iplayer.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

www.tvbox.bz - I think?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

It was better than i thought it was going to be however, he did seem to make a joke of people being deported because he didnt find anyone in the UAE who knew someone it had happened too... he also seemed to make light of the reasons you would go to jail. Mind saying that he mingled with the rich and the only person he seen at Barasti seemed to be a 40 Something lady with her belly out who was rather drunk.....

It was a show that would make people want to visit.... he failed to tell people the costs of visiting other than it was expensive... there was no look at any of the culture it was all about the new design....

he goes on to talk about the fact it has only taken 20 years to build bla bla bla... he fails to tell people about the numerous snagging issues with every building....

All in all total brown noser... he will be invited back to mingle with the rich!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:03 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I saw it too and it was slightly less cringeful than I expected. Still, it was the typical view from the point of view from the rich and famous and very little scratching under the surface. I'd love to see Donal McKintyre (sp) do a documentary on it!

Exploitation of labourers was mentioned - in a sentence ending with "it's got better for them" and followed immediately with something along the lines of "expats have sent home X billion dollars" - implying that it was these very same labourers doing so.

He did manage to find a wealthy arab who said that the Credit Crunch was already affecting Dubai - but handily failed to say how or to what extent... which, in a way is normal, considering that the production was probably filmed back in December.

Anyhow... yeah. He's certainly not going to get a fine!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Piers Morgan is an old pal of Anil Bhoyrul..They where both involved in the Mirror sharescam allegedly as both was forced out.

Piers argued his case and eventually ended up with Daily Mail while Anil is with Arabbusinessnews and spend most of his time sucking up to Dr Al-Fahim CEO of Hydra properties (owned by royalgroup, a Bani Fatima holding company) while desperately trying to impress his old mates in London.

Any production involving these lads might surely be entertaining but I´m not sure if I would take it seriously...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.