Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Its Official. Dubai Property market has gone bonkers..

Its Official. Dubai Property market has gone bonkers..

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Its Official. Dubai Property market has gone bonkers..

Evidence Number 1.
Bought the Gulf News this morning as I have to look for some warehouse space.
75dhs a square foot (plus tax of course) to rent a shed in Al Quoz? WTF?!!
From that I thought I would have a flick through and came upon the following:

Evidence Number 2.
""Hot Offer"" Mirabella 'luxurious' Spanish Townhouses at Jumeirah Village South. 3.2M, with '50% appreciation expected in 1 year'. 90% Mortgage. Completion 2012. Huh?! WTF

Evidence Number 3.
Old Town. Attareen 2br apartment. BUA 1,705sqft. OP 2,784,00. Thats bad enough. But oh no.. Selling Price 5,115,000. Ask for Marco. Why? Does he tell jokes even better than that one?!?

Evidence Number 4.. This one is my favourite..
"The Golf Homes at Arabian Ranches Golf Course" (Yet more space squeezed out of the ranches to make another few hundred million dhs).
CASTILLA Villa Type C, 8,270sqft, 5 beds, reception and living wing, entry court, fireplace, chef kitchen (as opposed to a normal kitchen?), Maids Room, Terraces, 2 garages.
Then it does a bit of blah about the unparalleled lifestyle experience etc etc...
Price 25.5M

This place is done property wise.. The crash is gonna be a big one and the landing isnt going to be soft.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:09 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its Official. Dubai Property market has gone bonkers..

Originally Posted by admon
Evidence Number 1.
Bought the Gulf News this morning as I have to look for some warehouse space.
75dhs a square foot (plus tax of course) to rent a shed in Al Quoz? WTF?!!
From that I thought I would have a flick through and came upon the following:

Evidence Number 2.
""Hot Offer"" Mirabella 'luxurious' Spanish Townhouses at Jumeirah Village South. 3.2M, with '50% appreciation expected in 1 year'. 90% Mortgage. Completion 2012. Huh?! WTF

Evidence Number 3.
Old Town. Attareen 2br apartment. BUA 1,705sqft. OP 2,784,00. Thats bad enough. But oh no.. Selling Price 5,115,000. Ask for Marco. Why? Does he tell jokes even better than that one?!?

Evidence Number 4.. This one is my favourite..
"The Golf Homes at Arabian Ranches Golf Course" (Yet more space squeezed out of the ranches to make another few hundred million dhs).
CASTILLA Villa Type C, 8,270sqft, 5 beds, reception and living wing, entry court, fireplace, chef kitchen (as opposed to a normal kitchen?), Maids Room, Terraces, 2 garages.
Then it does a bit of blah about the unparalleled lifestyle experience etc etc...
Price 25.5M

This place is done property wise.. The crash is gonna be a big one and the landing isnt going to be soft.
25 Million for a place in the ranches.....are they of their heads.
Thats 3,456,505.48 GBP at todays rates.

hhmm let me see, 5 bed townhouse in the ranches or a 9 bed castle in Ayrshire
http://www.struttandparker.co.uk/far...GLG070007.html

Hmm ranches or hampshire
http://www.struttandparker.co.uk/far...LHM040058.html

or if you want the sun this is in the BVI for 1.8 million gbp

just noticed the ranches place has a fireplace...now thats about as much use as........

Last edited by shiva; Jun 2nd 2008 at 7:11 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I have been looking at buying property here over the past couple of years and finally taking the plunge and looking seriously....but it's frickin' scary..... and i'm getting nowhere.

Example:

"Hi: I'm calling about the apartment advertised yesterday for 1,400k"
"Sir, the landlord called this morning and he wants 1,500k"
I think to myself - chancer - but say anyway "will he take 1,400k?"
"no"
I go to hang up and then agent says "you looking for apartment"
"yes" duh.
"are you cash or finance buyer"
"finance"
the guy says "oh - ok" and proceeds to end the conversation.

Have called about apartments on the burj development.....ads for 2,200k etc....get an agent and they say "oh they not at that price anymore".
Same with marina.

Most internet ads are out of date availability and price-wise and are just there to get the phone call....

I worked on Al Barari at one point....villa's there going for 10million in 2006......crazy I think.....now they 25-30million!

Who the f::k wants to live in the middle of the desert....soon to be middle of the worlds biggest construction site and pay 25million for the privilage?!?!?!

The whole place is running on investor purchases....not end-user purchasers......
I think it will still go up for another couple of years......but I can't wait to watch the crash.

I'm out. The iranians and russians etc can have it.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it is crazy, who has got that sort of money anyway! I am happy with my investment in Bulgaria
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:04 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Who the f::k wants to live in the middle of the desert....soon to be middle of the worlds biggest construction site and pay 25million for the privilage?!?!?!

The whole place is running on investor purchases....not end-user purchasers......
I think it will still go up for another couple of years......but I can't wait to watch the crash.

I'm out. The iranians and russians etc can have it.
Too right - and you can't live with your significant other unless you're married, you can't even have half a shandy and get in a car without legal repercussions, your internet is censored and you have to put up with some of the most deadly driving in the world...

Add the prices and inflation to that and it's easy to see why nearly half the people I know have all been saying they are planning to leaving in the near future.

When you're paying more to rent a small 1 bedroom apartment here than you would for a 3 bedroom house in greater London you know something is very wrong and something very bad could happen!

Not that I own property here or would even dream of it.

N.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Those prices are getting ridiculous- villas have usually done better than apartments because there aren't as many of them and a large number of people here (Brits, Aussies and South Africans mainly) have a thing about living in apartments. I've always felt the Old Town was a bit overpriced, especially with the very high maintenance charges.

The prices mentioned in the first post probably aren't sustainable and there always are, as has been pointed out, chancers. Bear in mind that these are asking prices and do not always reflect what the properties are going for but also bear in mind that a lot of the owners/investors can easily afford to have properties sitting empty for years if they need to.

As for not talking to anybody who needs finance- I've just sold a one bedroom apartment at the Greens for rather less than the prices mentioned above and the buyer needed finance. It was a total nightmare from start to finish dealing with incompetent mortgage brokers and barely more competent banks. A process that should have taken one month ended up taking three. That is why sellers don't want to bother with buyers who need mortgages- it is nothing personal.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:23 am
W10

I don't think that anyone is actually paying those prices quoted.

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:54 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Those prices are getting ridiculous- villas have usually done better than apartments because there aren't as many of them and a large number of people here (Brits, Aussies and South Africans mainly) have a thing about living in apartments. I've always felt the Old Town was a bit overpriced, especially with the very high maintenance charges.

The prices mentioned in the first post probably aren't sustainable and there always are, as has been pointed out, chancers. Bear in mind that these are asking prices and do not always reflect what the properties are going for but also bear in mind that a lot of the owners/investors can easily afford to have properties sitting empty for years if they need to.

As for not talking to anybody who needs finance- I've just sold a one bedroom apartment at the Greens for rather less than the prices mentioned above and the buyer needed finance. It was a total nightmare from start to finish dealing with incompetent mortgage brokers and barely more competent banks. A process that should have taken one month ended up taking three. That is why sellers don't want to bother with buyers who need mortgages- it is nothing personal.
just curious - you've been one of the biggest advocates for Dubai property and the rental income, why sell now?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

25million for a villa at Arabian Ranches, im sure its nice but WTF LOL
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
just curious - you've been one of the biggest advocates for Dubai property and the rental income, why sell now?
I bought somewhere else. The rental returns at The Greens are still good but I thought I could get better capital growth elsewhere by buying off plan. At my tender age (*cough*) I'm still looking at capital growth rather than income.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:24 am