British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   It's a leap year - Any ideas how to propose?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/its-leap-year-any-ideas-how-propose-511885/)

mccgirls Feb 5th 2008 10:07 am

It's a leap year - Any ideas how to propose??

Ok, Heres the situation.
I am in negotiation with a Kuwait company and looking to move there with my daughter and partner but they have told me they would rather we be husband and wife before we go as it would not really be acceptable or correct to just live together.........No problem we are committed to each other, so as it's a leap year I thought I would pop the question to him:thumbsup:

Please, can anyone give me any good ideas how to do it, I want to do something that is unique, not in a crowded place, not costing the earth, romantic and fun and something we will never forget??????????

Any suggestions gratly received:thumbup:

angelynv Feb 5th 2008 10:10 am

Re: It's a leap year - Any ideas how to propose??

Originally Posted by mccgirls (Post 5887348)
Ok, Heres the situation.
I am in negotiation with a Kuwait company and looking to move there with my daughter and partner but they have told me they would rather we be husband and wife before we go as it would not really be acceptable or correct to just live together.........No problem we are committed to each other, so as it's a leap year I thought I would pop the question to him:thumbsup:

Please, can anyone give me any good ideas how to do it, I want to do something that is unique, not in a crowded place, not costing the earth, romantic and fun and something we will never forget??????????

do a reverse Johnny Depp - put a ring down ur top, ask ur partner to put his hand down it (or just wear a low cut top and he will probably do this eventually).. ta da!!!! ok thats not v romantic - its funny though. my hubbie and i had gone for a drive on a sunny day and we were walking through a park and there was a brook with a little bridge and as we walked over the bridge he got down on one knee. it was supposed to be sunset apparently but it was more dusk by that point - still lovely and romantic..

u could wait till he goes to work or is out all day, string tonnes of fairy lights up outside in the garden (if u have one!) set up a little table with a romantic setting and champagne on ice etc when he walks in all the lights are off but he can see lights outside he walks out and ta da!!!

mccgirls Feb 5th 2008 10:25 am

Originally Posted by angelynv (Post 5887370)
do a reverse Johnny Depp - put a ring down ur top, ask ur partner to put his hand down it (or just wear a low cut top and he will probably do this eventually).. ta da!!!! ok thats not v romantic - its funny though. my hubbie and i had gone for a drive on a sunny day and we were walking through a park and there was a brook with a little bridge and as we walked over the bridge he got down on one knee. it was supposed to be sunset apparently but it was more dusk by that point - still lovely and romantic..

u could wait till he goes to work or is out all day, string tonnes of fairy lights up outside in the garden (if u have one!) set up a little table with a romantic setting and champagne on ice etc when he walks in all the lights are off but he can see lights outside he walks out and ta da!!!

Love the garden idea, the only thing, it might be a bit cold on Feb 29th in UK. He would definately be putting his hand down my top then!!!!!!!
Do you think I should present him with a ring, I was thinking perhaps a Cartier tie pin might be better??

He is french and I also thought about dressing up as Marie Antoinette to add a bit of fun.......

Blue Cat Feb 5th 2008 10:30 am

the local radio stations normally run things live on air like this, does he listen to a regular station?

Inselaffen Feb 5th 2008 10:35 am

Ok, Heres the situation.

get your father to meet him at the door with a ring and a shotgun ;)

mccgirls Feb 5th 2008 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5887469)
the local radio stations normally run things live on air like this, does he listen to a regular station?

Only French ones, wouldn't know how to get hold of them:unsure:

mccgirls Feb 5th 2008 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5887508)
get your father to meet him at the door with a ring and a shotgun ;)

Funny, we were only joking about that last night, he wanted to know how much my father paid my brother in law to take my sister of his hands.
He said he wants five times as much to cope with myself and daughter:lol:

Blue Cat Feb 5th 2008 10:48 am

is your daughter not his? sorry to pry, but does the Company in Saudi know this?

mccgirls Feb 5th 2008 11:04 am

Hi Blue Cat,

The company is in Kuwait, and i'm not sure if they know or not, it's not really come up, only about us not being married, but no she is not his, she is from my first marriage, do you think this may be a problem?????

angelynv Feb 5th 2008 11:07 am

Originally Posted by mccgirls (Post 5887444)
Love the garden idea, the only thing, it might be a bit cold on Feb 29th in UK. He would definately be putting his hand down my top then!!!!!!!
Do you think I should present him with a ring, I was thinking perhaps a Cartier tie pin might be better??

He is french and I also thought about dressing up as Marie Antoinette to add a bit of fun.......

u can hire those outdoor heaters.. dressing up as marie antoinette?? thats so funny!

Blue Cat Feb 5th 2008 11:13 am

Originally Posted by mccgirls (Post 5887696)
Hi Blue Cat,

The company is in Kuwait, and i'm not sure if they know or not, it's not really come up, only about us not being married, but no she is not his, she is from my first marriage, do you think this may be a problem?????

yes and no, but you should be aware and the company should be to. Here you will need a letter of no objection from her father, that is witnessed by a solicitor etc. At one time you couldn't do it here fullstop but things are changing and people are managing to get round it. You are best to speak to them and explain the situation and ensure that Kuwait are 'open' to such situations.

mccgirls Feb 5th 2008 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5887746)
yes and no, but you should be aware and the company should be to. Here you will need a letter of no objection from her father, that is witnessed by a solicitor etc. At one time you couldn't do it here fullstop but things are changing and people are managing to get round it. You are best to speak to them and explain the situation and ensure that Kuwait are 'open' to such situations.

Thanks for the advice, I wil look into it. I know I definately need his permission to remove her from the UK. It's standard practice I think, If a child is leaving the UK without both parents

Blue Cat Feb 5th 2008 11:21 am

Originally Posted by mccgirls (Post 5887786)
Thanks for the advice, I wil look into it. I know I definately need his permission to remove her from the UK. It's standard practice I think, If a child is leaving the UK without both parents

best to make your new employer aware just incase there are any complications with sponsorship etc etc ;)

nottmbantam Feb 5th 2008 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5887797)
best to make your new employer aware just incase there are any complications with sponsorship etc etc ;)

Anyone know if this is also the case for KSA?

I'm hoping to be out there soon, and then joined by my wife and her daughter - my step daughter. Originally, my wife's ex and the fatehr of teh girl, objected to the move and said he didn't want them to go? Could he cause problems? He seems to have calmed down a bit recently, but he is very anti - islamic and a bit of p!ss head so mouths off quite a lot - I'm sure he could be very obstructive if he chose to be.

But on a happier note - good luck with the proposal mccgirls.:thumbup:

We were in New York a few years ago and my girlfriend kind of proposed to me then, although I didn't actually realise it. We were eating in Planet Hollywood, it was Feb 14th, and she got up to the DJ stand, dedicated a song to us and said ' Third Time Lucky? ' as I've been married twice before.

MissDemeanor Feb 5th 2008 12:07 pm

Ok, Heres the situation.

Rose petals and candles leading up to the bedroom.You lying on the bed with a big red ribbon in a bow tied around you with a tag hanging off it saying..
m'epouserez-vous (marry me)!