Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Its getting anoying now!!!!

Its getting anoying now!!!!

Old Oct 19th 2004, 4:21 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Its getting anoying now!!!!

can everyone please stop bloody moaning about how the uae needs to do this and that and the traffic sucks and the buildings this...etc....
its doing my bloody head in.

ok so its not perfect but try to remember they have achieved a faster rate of city buliding any economic growth than anywhere on earth at anytime in history.
so if there are problems then its only to be expected. besides can any of us say our home countries have achieved anything similar in the last couple hundred years?
and most of the gripes could be about any developed city in the world, so they build at a predigious rate and cause chaos, better that than a tiny hole in a road causing months of delays because our councilors cant bloody decided what to do and oh it might upset someone.

Progress is a painful process get used to it, and like bedu i can remember the uae when it was mostly desert with bugger all roads and high rises.
they turned the desert green and into and economic utopia that most of us have either been to or are going to.
so what exactly is the flipping problem, if its so distasteful go home.
sorry for the rant but as i said it realy is begining to annoy me.

and if you wonder why they are so frivolent read the excerpt from this book below.i challenge anyone to go from one extreme to another in two generations and not change.

from w.thesiger the arabian sands

"These Bait Imani belonged to the same section of the Rashid as al Auf and bin Kabina and were from three different families. Only one of them, a grizzled elderly man called Khuatim, wore a shirt over his loin-cloth, and all were bareheaded. They had no tent; their only possessions were saddles, ropes, bowls, empty goatskins, and their rifles and daggers. The camping ground was churned and furrowed where the camels slept, and littered with camel droppings, hard and clean on the sand like dried dates. These men were cheerful and full of talk. The grazing was good; their camels, several in milk, would soon be fat. Life by their standards would be easy this year, but I thought of other years when the exhausted scouts rode back to the wells to speak through blackened, bleeding lips of desolation in the Sands, of emptyness such as I myself had seen on the way here from Ghanim; when the last withered plants were gone and walking skeletons of men and beasts sank down to die. Even tonight, when they considered themselves well off, these men would sleep naked on the freezing sand, covered only with their flimsy loin-cloths. I thought, too, of the bitter wells in the furnace heat of summer, when, hour by reeling hour, they watered thirty, thrusting camels, until at last the wells ran dry and importunate camels moaned for water which was not there. I thought how desperately hard were the lives of the Bedu in this weary land, and how gallant and how enduring was their spirit. Now, listening to their talk and watching the little acts of courtesy, which they instinctively performed, I knew by comparison how sadly I must fail, how selfish I must prove. ""

wouldnt you want nice villas, fast cars, big roads, golf clubs, and to waste water and generally live the easy life if your grandparents had lived like this???

chris
Old Oct 19th 2004, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

MCA27 will become famous soon enoughMCA27 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Its getting anoying now!!!!

Originally Posted by shiva
ok so its not perfect but try to remember they have achieved a faster rate of city buliding any economic growth than anywhere on earth at anytime in history.
chris
I think Shanghai may be ahead in this category......
Old Oct 19th 2004, 4:33 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MCA27]I think Shanghai may be ahead in this category...... [/QUOTE

but shanghai used to be a major financial centre before the communist era. so they didnt exactly start with a bare patch of earth did they?
Old Oct 19th 2004, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=shiva]
Originally Posted by MCA27
I think Shanghai may be ahead in this category...... [/QUOTE

but shanghai used to be a major financial centre before the communist era. so they didnt exactly start with a bare patch of earth did they?

thats not the point. you said "....they have achieved a faster rate of city buliding any economic growth than anywhere on earth at anytime in history"

If shanghai were buiding at 1.5 x the rate of Dubai and had GDP growth of 12%, then it would be ahead of Dubayy....no? and another
Old Oct 19th 2004, 5:15 pm
**** it we'll do it live

thats not the point. you said "....they have achieved a faster rate of city buliding any economic growth than anywhere on earth at anytime in history"

If shanghai were buiding at 1.5 x the rate of Dubai and had GDP growth of 12%, then it would be ahead of Dubayy....no? and another
i shall check ur no.s and get back to you ,but point conceded if you are right.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 5:43 pm
Beduoin_Boy

Are you comparing a Banana with a watermelon??

What is the population of china? 1billion and whats the population of the UAE People? Its hardly Half a Million!!!

And if so china is great than can you please tell all these Chinese to stop queueing in the Dubai Immigartion counter??? We are running out of Visa papers

Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beduoin_Boy

What is the population of china? 1billion and whats the population of the UAE People? Its hardly Half a Million!!!

And if so china is great than can you please tell all these Chinese to stop queueing in the Dubai Immigartion counter??? We are running out of Visa papers
I suggest you read the posts before you make pathetic comments.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:15 pm
Beduoin_Boy

I suggest you read the posts before you make pathetic comments.

Hey don't get mad, actually i know you didnt say anything wrong but I was only trying to make a point. But I also didnt any wrong its just my english it sounds wrong

Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hey don't get mad, actually i know you didnt say anything wrong but I was only trying to make a point. But I also didnt any wrong its just my english it sounds wrong
ok, I understand.

I am only pulling shiva's leg anyway.......I am full of admiration of what Dubai has achieved.

(but lets not forget, dubai is not the centre of the universe and places like bangalore, shanghai etc etc are also experiencing phenomenal growth also.....)

sometimes growth can occur and in the longterm, if not planned properly, be bad for an economy. If Dubai does not plan adequately, then it will come to haunt them in the future. Building a city for 5 million, with a communications infrastructure for 1 million will not benefit anyone.

You can build real estate all you like, but if people can't travel to where they want to go.............

Martin
Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=ts just my english it sounds wrong [/QUOTE]

it sounds chinese
Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:56 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

wouldnt you want nice villas, fast cars, big roads, golf clubs, and to waste water and generally live the easy life if your grandparents had lived like this???

chris [/QUOTE]

Chris,

I too would want everything - however, if I was in touch with my roots I would ensure that I did not destroy my country. Farms are drying up as the inland water table has dropped so much. Dubai has always been a wonder but the ecological balance has been changed forever. Fog - never this much,
palm island 1 & 2 + the world - the seabed ecology has been destroyed, including coral beds thousands of years old.

Wot next??

I like Dbx-but not as much as 20 yrs ago.

Sorry BB - just some aimless ramblings
Old Oct 19th 2004, 7:03 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

so are you saying you want to stop chinese coming into the UAE?
Old Oct 19th 2004, 7:04 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
What about my take-aways - I need them
Old Oct 19th 2004, 7:06 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
Nice meal at the Madinat - amazing place - misses wasn't speechless - her meal was cold by the time her mouth had run outta steam!! :scared:
Old Oct 19th 2004, 7:17 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Nice meal at the Madinat - amazing place - misses wasn't speechless - her meal was cold by the time her mouth had run outta steam!! :scared:
but couldn't her hot air have kept the food warm?>

U do know that we will be dead meat when she reads this lot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.