British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Islamic Art Centre (or something)... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/islamic-art-centre-something-479959/)

MataHari Sep 9th 2007 6:30 am

Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 
Has anyone ever been to that centre on Beach Road...Miraj or something...not been there that long, maybe a year, big uninviting building that you can't see into, about halfway on the Beach Road...
What is it all about, and can you buy stuff(?) there as well...
And otherwise I will just have to there myself, won't I...

Blue Cat Sep 9th 2007 7:37 am

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5290273)
Has anyone ever been to that centre on Beach Road...Miraj or something...not been there that long, maybe a year, big uninviting building that you can't see into, about halfway on the Beach Road...
What is it all about, and can you buy stuff(?) there as well...
And otherwise I will just have to there myself, won't I...

it's been there quite a long time, used to be University of Wollongong. Not sure what is in there though :)

MataHari Sep 9th 2007 9:30 am

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5290323)
it's been there quite a long time, used to be University of Wollongong. Not sure what is in there though :)

yeah, I know the building is not new, but what's inside is...

W10 Sep 9th 2007 3:12 pm

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 
It's full of Islamic Art...unsurprisingly.

It's very interesting

MataHari Sep 9th 2007 3:44 pm

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5291177)
It's full of Islamic Art...unsurprisingly.

It's very interesting

yeah, duh....but is it just to exhibit or can you buy things...I need some artwork for a house I am doing...
If it's only exhibits I'd still go and have a look around but now I am asking specifically for buying (just thought I'd add that little bit before I am called superfical, shallow, typical Dubai etc etc again...)

lionheart Sep 9th 2007 5:06 pm

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 
Have you tried the dozens of stalls on the road to Fujairah? Plenty of locally made rugs, pottery and carpentry items...

shakh your bootie Sep 9th 2007 5:22 pm

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5291247)
yeah, duh....but is it just to exhibit or can you buy things...I need some artwork for a house I am doing...
If it's only exhibits I'd still go and have a look around but now I am asking specifically for buying (just thought I'd add that little bit before I am called superfical, shallow, typical Dubai etc etc again...)

the upper floor sells, the lower floor exhibits.

There's a lady artist (name escapes me) who integrates abstract art & calligraphy, has an outlet at Souk Madinat Jumeirah.

If you're only looking to spend pocket change, then try the Iraqi section at global village (if it's open) - they have some fairly decent examples of classical & modern islamic art, not very expensive.

MataHari Sep 9th 2007 5:42 pm

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5291368)
Have you tried the dozens of stalls on the road to Fujairah? Plenty of locally made rugs, pottery and carpentry items...

thanks, but that is totally not what I am looking for...

MataHari Sep 9th 2007 5:44 pm

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5291395)
the upper floor sells, the lower floor exhibits.

There's a lady artist (name escapes me) who integrates abstract art & calligraphy, has an outlet at Souk Madinat Jumeirah.

If you're only looking to spend pocket change, then try the Iraqi section at global village (if it's open) - they have some fairly decent examples of classical & modern islamic art, not very expensive.

great, I'll try and check it out this week...
I have bought some stuff at Global V which was surprisingly nice but I can't wait for that now.

Madam Medusa Sep 9th 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5291440)
thanks, but that is totally not what I am looking for...

if you're looking for one-off beautiful islamic calligraphy designs, let me know...i've got a contact...

MM, xx

lionheart Sep 10th 2007 5:35 am

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5291440)
thanks, but that is totally not what I am looking for...

Why do you always have to be so rude?

shakh your bootie Sep 10th 2007 5:40 am

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5292980)
Why do you always have to be so rude?

she's dutch. they have a different social calibration.

MataHari Sep 10th 2007 5:46 am

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5292980)
Why do you always have to be so rude?

What's rude about that? I thanked you and told you that is not what I am after. Should I lie and say I will go and check it out? What is your problem?
Just because I am not going to use your tip cause it is not suitable for the work I am doing...jeez, grow up. And yes, now I am being rude.

lionheart Sep 10th 2007 5:55 am

Re: Islamic Art Centre (or something)...
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5292991)
she's dutch. they have a different social calibration.

Fair enough...incidentally, some of the Islamic Art on offer at roadside stalls is far better than the pretentious crap you can buy in shops here...after all, it's the real stuff...


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.