British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Irn Bru (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/irn-bru-444217/)

alfro Apr 23rd 2007 4:13 am

Irn Bru

Is it banned in the UAE??? If so, why?

Blue Cat Apr 23rd 2007 4:43 am

Re: Irn Bru

Originally Posted by alfro (Post 4683302)

not banned as it has been found in choitrams in the past, I think it is more a supply and demand issue. They think no one will buy it but are wrong!!!

alfro Apr 23rd 2007 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4683358)
not banned as it has been found in choitrams in the past, I think it is more a supply and demand issue. They think no one will buy it but are wrong!!!

Used to get it in Abu Dhabi about 5 years ago but my mate was telling me its banned now for having too many additives?? Is he winding me up?

Irn Bru must be the perfect hangover drink, I had 6 cans of it yesterday and it sorted me right out. If you can get it here in Baku, I am gutted I won't be able to get it in Dubai...:(

Blue Cat Apr 23rd 2007 4:58 am

Originally Posted by alfro (Post 4683369)
Used to get it in Abu Dhabi about 5 years ago but my mate was telling me its banned now for having too many additives?? Is he winding me up?

Irn Bru must be the perfect hangover drink, I had 6 cans of it yesterday and it sorted me right out. If you can get it here in Baku, I am gutted I won't be able to get it in Dubai...:(

I aint seen it for a while in Dubai, where is Baku?? sorry for my ignorance. I will ask my scottish friends about it. Arbroath Abroad will be on here any second and he will know the answer I am sure!!!! AA where are you!

arbroath_abroad Apr 23rd 2007 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4683375)
I aint seen it for a while in Dubai, where is Baku?? sorry for my ignorance. I will ask my scottish friends about it. Arbroath Abroad will be on here any second and he will know the answer I am sure!!!! AA where are you!

Chi-ching,

You can get Irn Bru here in Dubai, but its expensive and very limited stock. Put it this way, when i was here in 03, i done a deal with an agent for sevenseas to sell them to me for approx 90p a can. I then sold it to my desperate shipmates for 1.20 a can.
(i ran the canteen on my ship)

Very lucrative as you can imagine a ship full of scottish people away from home for 9 months!!!

Anywy to answer your question, I know where to get it but im not telling on here!

I just wish they supplied Diet Irn Bru as it tastes much better, esp in a Voddie

arbroath_abroad Apr 23rd 2007 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4683375)
where is Baku?? sorry for my ignorance. !

It in Azerbijan (sp)

That is possibly my next port of call

alfro Apr 23rd 2007 5:34 am

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 4683401)
It in Azerbijan (sp)

That is possibly my next port of call

Indeed it is in Azerbaijan, in my last week here after 2 years, if you want any info on Baku then let me know. Suffice to say you will be amongst many compatriots, even the street kids swear at you in a Scottish accent

arbroath_abroad Apr 23rd 2007 6:42 am

Originally Posted by alfro (Post 4683415)
Indeed it is in Azerbaijan, in my last week here after 2 years, if you want any info on Baku then let me know. Suffice to say you will be amongst many compatriots, even the street kids swear at you in a Scottish accent

i have relatives and friends there already working for oilgas companies. My wife works there occassionally.

Not sure about the place thou. Think we are going for a long weekend soon to check it out

NorthernLad Apr 23rd 2007 6:45 am

Originally Posted by alfro (Post 4683302)

Try Choitrams - they are usually good for anything like that. Do a fantastic selection of British kets.

alfro Apr 23rd 2007 6:46 am

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 4683522)
i have relatives and friends there already working for oilgas companies. My wife works there occassionally.

Not sure about the place thou. Think we are going for a long weekend soon to check it out

Its no Dubai thats for sure, has some good points but, all in all, its not for me. Quite happy to be moving on.

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 23rd 2007 6:56 am

Originally Posted by alfro (Post 4683530)
Its no Dubai thats for sure, has some good points but, all in all, its not for me. Quite happy to be moving on.

Kazakhstan is next on my hit-list.
Any of you fella's been there??

arbroath_abroad Apr 23rd 2007 7:18 am

Originally Posted by alfro (Post 4683530)

Is it true thou that you get a hell of a lot more for your money out there? My relative aparently has a bloody mansion over there for the price that would get a 3 bed villa here

alfro Apr 23rd 2007 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4683554)
Kazakhstan is next on my hit-list.
Any of you fella's been there??

Ooph Kazahkstan is not pretty, its real frontier stuff. Heard a lot of horror stories. Huge Huge country, the size of Western Europe. So I guess depends where you will be Almaty is supposed to be alright but Aktau and Atarau are not good

alfro Apr 23rd 2007 7:48 am

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 4683608)
Is it true thou that you get a hell of a lot more for your money out there? My relative aparently has a bloody mansion over there for the price that would get a 3 bed villa here

The price is spiralling here as it is everywhere, they are also building like crazy and lot of apartment developments being thrown up. Quality is not great and this is an earthquake zone. Would not buy here, not just because of quality but also because the country is built on institutionalized corruption.

There are some big house to be had but they are no longer cheap, a typical "mansion" would be the BP suburbia at the top of town (think Stepford) and those rent at around 7000 USD per month.

I am in a fairly salubrious, very large, 3 bedroom apartment in town and paying 2500 USD a month (but thats a 3 year old price)

W10 Apr 23rd 2007 8:48 am

Originally Posted by alfro (Post 4683369)

(

When you arrive you'll laugh when you think you ever believed that something could be banned in the UAE for having too many additives.

Something is more likely to get banned for having too many natural and healthy ingredients :D