Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Iqama information and a passport question!!?!

Iqama information and a passport question!!?!

Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Ellie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the rough
Default Iqama information and a passport question!!?!

hi there i was wondering if anyone could help me on this one!!! We moved to Khamis about 5 weeks ago now - we all travelled together me and the children on a residency visa - valid until 2024 and my husband ona seperate work visa valid for 90 days (presumabley this is because he waits for his iqama in this time!)

Anyway he got his iqama today - so obviously thats all sorted and we are flying back to the uk for christmas - our exit/re-entry visas are being sorted by the employer - the question is as me and the children have a residency visa do we need to be put onto my husbands iqama? or is the fact we have our residency stamped in our passport ok? its just that we have had conflicting information about it - some say we have to be on his iqama and some say we dont!

Also we need to renew our sons passport - we are going to do this at xmas when we go back - what will happen about the visa that is currently stamped in there? is this automatically tansferred to his new passport - i am presuming thee must be a sytem in place for this as our visa is valid for 15 years and none of our passports are going to be valid for this long?!

Any help is appreciated!

Ellie
xxx
Old Nov 14th 2009, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Iqama information and a passport question!!?!

You can get a new passport at the Brit Embassy in Riyadh, or via the Consulates if you prefer.

The visa in the old passport should stay valid, regardless of the status of the passport - you will just have to keep the new and old passports together - I use a sturdy elastic band to hold my two passports together. However, I would confirm this is the case officially, as different rules may apply for particular visas.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Ellie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the rough

thanks very much - it would make sense for the visa to still be valid - i thought of getting the passport renewed over here - but riyadh and even jeddah are quite a way from us and not sure about the postal/courier system here yet - thought it may be safer at a uk office when we visit for 3 weeks?

any thoughts on the iqama?? i wouldnt imagine i would need to go on hubby's iqama as we have our own visa? or does this not matter??

xxx
Old Nov 14th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

When i was in Taif Last year i went to Jeddah and to the British Consulate,
i spoke with a Ms Diane there she was very helpfull on my renewal of passport.
The Fed Ex system here is very good.
I would telephone the embassy / consulate for more advice.

However if you do go to the UK and obtain a new passport there, you will not have the stamps in your new passport and then try to re enter the magic kingdom.
You will have problems at the airport.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Not sure on the Iqama.

If you are away from the cities here, unless you have the passport photos already, you will probably struggle to get them done to the detailed requirements, so UK is best.

In the UK, you can pay extra for the walk in same day service. Technically though, this should be by appointment, but outside the busy summer period they can be flexible. I recently applied in Liverpool, and with all my documents prepared it took just 4 hours from submission to getting my passport. Note that the application form for the passport is different if you are applying in the UK as opposed to overseas.

If you plan on being in Saudi or elsewhere that likes to stamp your passport for the next few years, a Jumbo passport, which has extra pages, is best.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coffindodger
When i was in Taif Last year i went to Jeddah and to the British Consulate,
i spoke with a Ms Diane there she was very helpfull on my renewal of passport.
The Fed Ex system here is very good.
I would telephone the embassy / consulate for more advice.

However if you do go to the UK and obtain a new passport there, you will not have the stamps in your new passport and then try to re enter the magic kingdom.
You will have problems at the airport.
Yes, I've dealt with Diane. I'll PM E & J her contact details.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

We (kids and I) all had our own iqamas when we were there - so would imagine the same for you. Husband's company should be able to advise on this and their PRO should do the needful.

N