British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   ipod repairs in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/ipod-repairs-abu-dhabi-650698/)

Arcadia Jan 22nd 2010 12:47 pm

ipod repairs in Abu Dhabi

Hi There.

My 60 GB ipod classic has developed a white screen.It's only 3 months old, I bought it at Carrefour, but they wont give me an exchange or refund.

Ive tried trouble shooting from various websites..they all tend to tell me the same thing..Toggle the hold button, then hold down the centre and Menu button for 8/10 seconds until the Apple logo appers...still not working.

Has anyone had an ipod successfully repaired here, and if so where?

Jim Smith Jan 22nd 2010 12:50 pm

Re: ipod repairs in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Arcadia (Post 8272504)
Hi There.

My 60 GB ipod classic has developed a white screen.It's only 3 months old, I bought it at Carrefour, but they wont give me an exchange or refund.

Ive tried trouble shooting from various websites..they all tend to tell me the same thing..Toggle the hold button, then hold down the centre and Menu button for 8/10 seconds until the Apple logo appers...still not working.

Has anyone had an ipod successfully repaired here, and if so where?

Haven't they given you a one year warrantee or have you lost your receipt?????????

lionheart Jan 22nd 2010 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 8272513)
Haven't they given you a one year warrantee or have you lost your receipt?????????

The UAE is a throw-away society where very little ever gets repaired. Unfortunately, not everybody has the foresight to keep receipts beyond a few weeks. Have you tried raising your voice at the Customer Service desk?

busybee2 Jan 22nd 2010 1:38 pm

dont you get a 1 year warranty, go back and "stamp your feet", not sure with ipods, but i know with nokia phones, either you leave it at car4 and they send it away to be repaired, or you go straight to the nokia shop opp wadha mall etc, so i would say the same with ipod. car4 over the last couple of years have gotten much better in the customer service department, but sounds like you need to go and "pester" and "not take no for an answer"....! speak to a manager of the electronics etc and take it from there.

busybee2 Jan 22nd 2010 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8272614)
The UAE is a throw-away society where very little ever gets repaired. Unfortunately, not everybody has the foresight to keep receipts beyond a few weeks. Have you tried raising your voice at the Customer Service desk?

sometimes you dont need the receipt, take for eg, my nokia phone decided to break some 1 week before its first birthday, i thought, this was bought from car4, and even tho i did have the receipt, i in the end took it to nokia service direct and they just taped in the number in the back of the phone, obviously found it to be still under warranty and no probs.

Arcadia Jan 22nd 2010 7:51 pm

Yeah, I lost the reciept..which is unlike me, I actually have a safe in the house were I keep reciepts, Ive just found one for The plasma TV we bought 5 years ago..but typical, The one I need is the one I cant find.

I cant be Arsed to go shouting at the Customer Services desk. I suppose i will just have to put the it away until I visit the UK in the summer and get it fixed There.

B Bear Jan 23rd 2010 8:02 am

...take it in to one of the apple stores (ibn battuta springs to mind, and Dubai Mall- I think there is on in AD Mall?) Thy will attend to on the spot expert advice as oppose to the chap in the supermarket who was selling potatoes earlier in the day.

busybee2 Jan 23rd 2010 8:39 am

there are apple stores in ad mall top level and marina mall (new shop) upstairs behind sun and sand.

seven seas Jan 23rd 2010 9:42 am

There is nowhere that will fix anything in AD. The more you pay (ie dealers) the worse you'll feel about it.

It's just an ipod. Either make a fuss at Carrefour or bu a new one.

No receipt- I'd not bother.

glynster Jan 23rd 2010 12:41 pm

I had a similar problem with my ipod and took it to an ipod repair shop near the york hotel(opposite) and they wanted more than the price of a new one for a new hard drive.Note do not sit in a jacuzzi with your ipod on trying to look cool,my mate spoke to me and when I tried to take a ear piece out I caught the wire and knocked it in,v uncool.:rolleyes:

Spugsy Jan 23rd 2010 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Arcadia (Post 8273519)
Yeah, I lost the reciept..which is unlike me, I actually have a safe in the house were I keep reciepts, Ive just found one for The plasma TV we bought 5 years ago..but typical, The one I need is the one I cant find.

I cant be Arsed to go shouting at the Customer Services desk. I suppose i will just have to put the it away until I visit the UK in the summer and get it fixed There.

bollocks mate, you have a serial number on your ipod, get it and they can tell if its in warranty, there an istore here in dubai and they'll fix it for free if you tae it in, its near the york hotel, so you could bang a hooker whilst you waited.

Eva Jan 23rd 2010 6:25 pm

I will never again buy anything from Carrefour in Abu Dhabi-electrical I mean, course I'll still get my bread there when appropo but their Customer Services policy is crapola with a capital C.
They don't do as far as I'm aware-(disclaim here for legit reasons-I'm seldom right tho' I'm never wrong;) a like for like exchange even 24 hrs after purchase claim- it has to go back to Manufacturers???Well I'm sorry but that's not how it's supposed to be.
Anyhoo,no point in peeing into the wind,just go to Abu Dhabi Jumbo Co op,Mina Mall or Co op opposite AD Mall- best customer service/follow up in town.hth

Spugsy Jan 23rd 2010 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 8275900)
I will never again buy anything from Carrefour in Abu Dhabi-electrical I mean, course I'll still get my bread there when appropo but their Customer Services policy is crapola with a capital C.
They don't do as far as I'm aware-(disclaim here for legit reasons-I'm seldom right tho' I'm never wrong;) a like for like exchange even 24 hrs after purchase claim- it has to go back to Manufacturers???Well I'm sorry but that's not how it's supposed to be.
Anyhoo,no point in peeing into the wind,just go to Abu Dhabi Jumbo Co op,Mina Mall or Co op opposite AD Mall- best customer service/follow up in town.hth

yeah we got fridge etc and they were shit when it went wrong THREE times in the first 6 months.

busybee2 Jan 24th 2010 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 8275900)

i bought a big steam generator and it wouldnt generate steam so i took it back on the second day, i was already for a fight, and i was happily disappointed because they completely agreed and just gave me another one.... no probs.

commander Jan 24th 2010 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8275616)
bollocks mate, you have a serial number on your ipod, get it and they can tell if its in warranty, there an istore here in dubai and they'll fix it for free if you tae it in, its near the york hotel, so you could bang a hooker whilst you waited.

take it to I-Style...spugsy is correct..the serial number is all they need to determine if it is in warranty.

I had the same with my Polar HRM. it failed. I bought it on Ebay. Took it to the official Polar distributor in Dubai, they didnt give a toss if i bought it from them. they checked the serial number, proved it wasnt 1 year old and repaired it for free.

Take it to the apple main dealer in AD..