Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Investing in UK ETF, OEICs and Unit Trusts

Investing in UK ETF, OEICs and Unit Trusts

Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Opponent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Investing in UK ETF, OEICs and Unit Trusts

Does anybody know how i go about investing in these products.

Tried calling a few UK brokers and they wouldnt take me as a client mainly because I was a non resident and/or they were not regulated by the DFSA.

can anybody recommend Dubai brokers or any other way to invest

Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Sand Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Investing in UK ETF, OEICs and Unit Trusts

Go to an offshore broker like Internaxx. You can buy ETF and funds on their platform as well as shares from most world stock markets.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:31 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

In fact the DSFA only regulates within DIFC. You'll have an issue investing directly in those funds as a non-resident.

One alternative is to do so via an offshore Personalied Portfolio Bond, which provides access to virtually all UK OIECS & units trusts, as well as SICAVS via the one platform, although there is a realistic minimum of GBP 50k. Let me know if you want more info.

-
Old May 27th 2010, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Butt is an unknown quantity at this point

Just curious, I am trying to setup a portfolio of ETFs, low cost Index trackers, and as living abroad now, I would like these to be Offshore (INTERNAXX sounds as good as any), but the funds need to be non-UK domiciled also, otherwise they'll attract UK HMRC attention.

Any thoughts on this ?

Looking at INTERNAXX.LU, it doesn't look favourable, as no decent Index Tracking funds available...

Not easy

Butt
Old May 28th 2010, 9:08 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butt
Just curious, I am trying to setup a portfolio of ETFs, low cost Index trackers, and as living abroad now, I would like these to be Offshore (INTERNAXX sounds as good as any), but the funds need to be non-UK domiciled also, otherwise they'll attract UK HMRC attention.

Any thoughts on this ?

Looking at INTERNAXX.LU, it doesn't look favourable, as no decent Index Tracking funds available...

Not easy

Butt
Most of this stuff is geared towards UK residents so it can be a little tricky.

I'll check what we have like this when I get back to the office after the weekend...usually expats don't go for these sorts of investments or already have them set up before leaving the UK.

N.
Old May 30th 2010, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Opponent

Tried calling a few UK brokers and they wouldnt take me as a client mainly because I was a non resident and/or they were not regulated by the DFSA.

Thanks
NatWest Stockbrokers (google!) allows non-residents to apply - they have the application forms on their website - requires the usual verifications.

Don't overlook Investment Trusts either. Mainly non-trackers, however, Edinburgh UK all share (EUK) and Edinburgh US S & P trackers (EUS) are sold on the LSE.

Generally ETFs and ITs will be held in nominee accounts, so the UK gives you a degree of protection that may or may not exist offshore. No good carefully selecting funds if the operator of your nominee account folds.
Old May 30th 2010, 8:50 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Opponent

Thanks
You can access all of those and more via a portfolio bond if you're based here with relative ease subject to the minimum investment of the particular bond, and move and switch around fairly easy too without going through a UK Broker.

We're Dubai and Abu Dhabi based brokers and offer these products to our clients.

N.
Old May 30th 2010, 10:37 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

But Norm, a PPB shouldn't be set up for amounts less than USD 100k.

-
Old May 30th 2010, 10:40 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Butt

Any thoughts on this ?

Not easy

Butt

You can still invest in the UK as a non-resident although many providers won't accept you unless you have a UK address. HMRC doesn't have an issue with you investing in the UK, but you have to watch tax liability on the proceeds, which is why most non-residents access UK funds via an offshore PPB (Personalised Portfolio Bond) if they have sufficient funds. You can also invest directly in SIVACs and UCITs from certain investment managers, but they generally require a minimum investment of USD 10k.

-
Old May 30th 2010, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Meow
But Norm, a PPB shouldn't be set up for amounts less than USD 100k.

-

"You can access all of those and more via a portfolio bond if you're based here with relative ease subject to the minimum investment of the particular bond, and move and switch around fairly easy too without going through a UK Broker."
Old May 30th 2010, 11:00 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
"You can access all of those and more via a portfolio bond if you're based here with relative ease subject to the minimum investment of the particular bond, and move and switch around fairly easy too without going through a UK Broker."
Irrelevant to the minimum the provider states, it doesn't make financial sense to set up this kind of plan for less than USD 100k.

-
Old May 30th 2010, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Meow
Irrelevant to the minimum the provider states, it doesn't make financial sense to set up this kind of plan for less than USD 100k.

-
I don't disagree...