Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Introduce me to some new vegetables

Introduce me to some new vegetables

Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Introduce me to some new vegetables

Bear with me...

So the supermarkets have lots of relatively "western" vegetables - tomatoes, carrots, broccoli - that heretofore have been mainstays of my cooking but are relatively tasteless and probably greenhouse grown.

On the other hand, the supermarkets also have lots of weird and wonderful vegetables from the eastern hemisphere that I'm not used to seeing. Spiky cucumbery things, papery globular appley things, star-shaped green things. Apart from the fact that they all tend to look like weapons rather than food, do any of you have some recommendations so that I can expand my cuisine and cook food that actually tastes of something?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:39 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduce me to some new vegetables

Originally Posted by csdf
Bear with me...

So the supermarkets have lots of relatively "western" vegetables - tomatoes, carrots, broccoli - that heretofore have been mainstays of my cooking but are relatively tasteless and probably greenhouse grown.

On the other hand, the supermarkets also have lots of weird and wonderful vegetables from the eastern hemisphere that I'm not used to seeing. Spiky cucumbery things, papery globular appley things, star-shaped green things. Apart from the fact that they all tend to look like weapons rather than food, do any of you have some recommendations so that I can expand my cuisine and cook food that actually tastes of something?
Dunno about veggies, since Im Scottish, but a cracking fruit I found, thanks to a Russian acquaintance, is the Mangostine (sp?)...
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Mangostines are great. There are also some great little orange things (look like Apricots), no idea what they called but are lovely - bit like a gooseberry (in taste).

avoid the spiky cucumber things. They are known to the pinoys as bitergauard and they are... bitter.

Have you met Ethos yet?

edit - they are called kumquats

Last edited by Millhouse; Oct 12th 2010 at 9:45 am.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:43 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Mangostine's are great.

avoid the spiky cucumber things. They are known to the pinoys as bitergauard and they are... bitter.

Have you met Ethos yet?
Who? Me or csdf?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:58 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

The spiky cucumber things are really good for...something (might be blood pressure, can't remember). Juice the insides, pull a really sour face, and drink. Still got two in my fridge which I haven't quite got round to dealing with.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Who? Me or csdf?
csdf - he wanted to be introduced to a vegetable.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:03 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oi!

I have seen some of the scaly things at the market but wouldn't know how to go about peeling them. Come to think of it, despite travels throughout SE Asia I also haven't encountered anything unusual in any of the dishes I ate.

What about aubergines? My standard week dish is to chop up a bunch of cauliflowers, aubergines and peppers, toss with a bit of oil, roast for about half a hour, open a tin or two of crushed tomatoes (waitrose's organics, naturally) and pour over the medly and bake for another twenty or so minutes. Serve with couscous and a side of boiled frozen peas.

Works well and keeps me thin.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:43 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

csdf - he wanted to be introduced to a vegetable.
hahaha!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:51 am
home

Forsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to behold

They are known to the pinoys as bitergauard and they are... bitter.
A) Bitter gourds are excellent for their medicinal properties. http://www.ayurbalance.com/explore_foodbittergourd.htm

Lightly steam or blanche it, cut in half, scrape out the seeds and then slice into thin strips, sauté in a bit of oil and butter, salt to taste, squeeze of lemon… and there you are… not so bitter really. Of course, you can spice 'em up with turmeric and chili, too.

B) Okra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okra

Ensure that you buy the tender ones. Chop and discard both ends, slice and fry well. Sauté some onion, add the fried okra, chuck in a bouillon, a teeny bit of water, if necessary. Cook for 5 - 10 mins.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Or better yet, stick to the same old veggies but don't boile them for more than ten minutes.

Or just don't boile them at all. fry instead.

I know about that typo but it looks funny.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

For the horto-gastronomically inclined, this week's Abu Dhabi Week has a picture guide to some weird and wonderful vegetables, including the spiky cucumber weapon. Coincidence? Or is an ADW journalist a secret forum reader?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

what the eff bogus kind of thread is this!!??

go get a frigging cookery book.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:24 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Mangostines are great. There are also some great little orange things (look like Apricots), no idea what they called but are lovely - bit like a gooseberry (in taste).

Have you met Ethos yet?

AR might not be on the waterfront but you defo are a contender....
for funniest post of the year.
Spikey cucumbers?...Interesting.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:12 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
what the eff bogus kind of thread is this!!??

go get a frigging cookery book.
Or alternatively start a thread on the premise that you'd be interested in knowing the consequences of a) admitting to your bank that you couldn't pay your debts or b) doing a runner and not losing any sleep over it. Except that you'd already decided that anyone who wouldn't do b) is a douche bag. I dunno what sort of vegetable that makes you, but a vegetable nonetheless.

A radish, perhaps?

Introduce me to some new vegetables-radish.jpeg
Old Oct 29th 2010, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Or alternatively start a thread on the premise that you'd be interested in knowing the consequences of a) admitting to your bank that you couldn't pay your debts or b) doing a runner and not losing any sleep over it. Except that you'd already decided that anyone who wouldn't do b) is a douche bag. I dunno what sort of vegetable that makes you, but a vegetable nonetheless.

A radish, perhaps?

Attachment 96592

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.