Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Interview for job in Bahrain

Interview for job in Bahrain

Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:21 am
Just Joined

sasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nice
Default Interview for job in Bahrain

Hi folks.

I'm currently living in UK with husband and 9 month old son. I have a phone interview today with a company in Bahrain.

This is the second interview in a year (first being a face-to-face in London).

My question is - has anyone else had phone interviews and then offered job or did you have a familiarisation trip before being offered the job?

My first interview was a panel interview with HR and the department, this second one is direct with my potential boss. Not wanting to get my hopes up - is this a positive or just another routine interview?

A few hours to go and it's on but I'm very nervous.

Shall we discuss package? Has anyone been offered a job without being to the country first, any other tips would be highly received.

Sasswa
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:43 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview for job in Bahrain

Originally Posted by sasswa
Hi folks.

I'm currently living in UK with husband and 9 month old son. I have a phone interview today with a company in Bahrain.

My question is - has anyone else had phone interviews and then offered job or did you have a familiarisation trip before being offered the job?

My first interview was a panel interview with HR and the department, this second one is direct with my potential boss. Not wanting to get my hopes up - is this a positive or just another routine interview?

Shall we discuss package? Has anyone been offered a job without being to the country first, any other tips would be highly received.

Sasswa
I got the job I'm in now with a phone interview. But then, I am a Jedi Knight of Quantity Surveying. Without a light-sabre. Or the Force.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:55 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks.

Sasswa

I did an internal transfer, from London to Bahrain, without visiting the place. Not been back in a year, but was nice when we left.

I would say that Bahrain felt more family orientated than Dubai, although no public beaches (or at least ones you would use), some decent malls (and a new one on it's way up), and good restaurants. Rental prices were half the price of Dubai when we were there, for much bigger places...however we have friends still there who have said prices are going up.

Check Gulf Daily News classifieds for an idea of prices to rent.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/

Good luck!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

sasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nicesasswa is just really nice

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I got the job I'm in now with a phone interview. But then, I am a Jedi Knight of Quantity Surveying. Without a light-sabre. Or the Force.

They didn't offer it straight away did they?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:53 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

They didn't offer it straight away did they?
They did. And so did 3 other companies. But they're really, really desperate for QSs, especially the ones who can say, "these aren't the quantities you're looking for," to Contractors.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 11:25 am
Expert

The Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I did an internal transfer, from London to Bahrain, without visiting the place. Not been back in a year, but was nice when we left.

I would say that Bahrain felt more family orientated than Dubai, although no public beaches (or at least ones you would use), some decent malls (and a new one on it's way up), and good restaurants. Rental prices were half the price of Dubai when we were there, for much bigger places...however we have friends still there who have said prices are going up.

Check Gulf Daily News classifieds for an idea of prices to rent.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/

Good luck!

Agreed.Bahrain is still a fairly affordable place as opposed to Dubai which has become ridiculously expensive these days.Besides their currency is fairly strong as well which should enable you to save something as well.The only downside is that the malls do not match Dubai's standards.

Although it is pretty safe place yet a person's foreign origins can make him or her the center of unwated attention in certain areas.Their policitcal system is stable yet fragile and poolitical demonstrations and public unrest are not uncommon,therefore you are advised to maintain a low profile during such times.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Man
Agreed.Bahrain is still a fairly affordable place as opposed to Dubai which has become ridiculously expensive these days.Besides their currency is fairly strong as well which should enable you to save something as well.The only downside is that the malls do not match Dubai's standards.

Although it is pretty safe place yet a person's foreign origins can make him or her the center of unwated attention in certain areas.Their policitcal system is stable yet fragile and poolitical demonstrations and public unrest are not uncommon,therefore you are advised to maintain a low profile during such times.
Well troops. Had the phone interview and it went well. After 2 weeks of agonising waiting, they've called to say they'd like me to come over for 2-3 days (another interview) and potential medical etc for visa. So you could say it's in the bag?

Here's something new for the girls applying for jobs in Bahrain.....they will ONLY sponsor me and I can't have my husband or son on my visa. They have their own visa which we have to apply for seperately. If I was a man, this would be ALL different. I'm not fazed at all. This is not just the company this is Bahrain - have seen this also on their visa website and checked with the embassy.

So, wanting to take husband and son out for the 2-3 days as well. Just so they can have a feel of the waters as well. Do I let the company know? We'll have to pay for flights for them (which is fine).....I think they'd be ok with it. What ya reckon?

S
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

If it is a move for the whole family I would have thought the company would be all for it. After all, if you take the job and your husband and son hate it out there you are going to have a pretty miserable time and might not stay in the job that long. I would tell them- if they don't want your family to see the place you have to wonder what they are trying to hide.