British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Interracial Couple In Dubai? Your opinions please. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/interracial-couple-dubai-your-opinions-please-417091/)

MouseyCat Jan 5th 2007 5:58 pm

Interracial Couple In Dubai? Your opinions please.

Hi, we are considering a move to Dubai . We know UAE is a very strict place etc. We want to move there for about 3 years. We are married and young (under 30 - 30) and we are also an interracial couple made up of a black woman and white man.
Living in England, I can't say we have had any issues (hardly) - especially in London because its very diverse. BUT we are bit worried about making a move without knowing what the reception will be like.
Anyone who is in a similar situation or has lived in Dubai or is in Dubai - we would like to hear your views. Thanks.

Jammy_Dodgers Jan 5th 2007 6:05 pm

Re: Interracial Couple In Dubai? Your opinions please.

Originally Posted by MouseyCat (Post 4252563)
Hi, we are considering a move to Dubai . We know UAE is a very strict place etc. We want to move there for about 3 years. We are married and young (under 30 - 30) and we are also an interracial couple made up of a black woman and white man.
Living in England, I can't say we have had any issues (hardly) - especially in London because its very diverse. BUT we are bit worried about making a move without knowing what the reception will be like.
Anyone who is in a similar situation or has lived in Dubai or is in Dubai - we would like to hear your views. Thanks.

IMHO you will have no problems

Jamila Jan 6th 2007 7:25 am

Agree with JD. It is most probably not even an issue here. You will see a lot more interracial couples here than in most European cities, myself being in one of them.

Jammy_Dodgers Jan 6th 2007 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Jamila (Post 4254127)
Agree with JD. It is most probably not even an issue here. You will see a lot more interracial couples here than in most European cities, myself being in one of them.

Indeed, alot more couple of different ethnic backgrounds.
Dubai is much more of a cultural melting pot that alot of other citys

secretdubai Jan 6th 2007 11:54 am

Legally, given you are properly married, you will have no problems.

Socially, your wife may occasionally face ignorant treatment. But among people who matter, eg other international people of business, you should be absolutely fine.

MouseyCat Jan 6th 2007 4:23 pm

Oh - thanks guys. Sounds good then. So Dubai is still in the books for us I guess. We'll visit first. It's just that when you go to places on holiday, you don't really get to see the "real deal" [such as where real people live, social life, work, etc]. If you know what I mean.
But I am glad to know we'd be safe (ish).

Thanks again

W10 Jan 8th 2007 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4254492)
Indeed, alot more couple of different ethnic backgrounds.
Dubai is much more of a cultural melting pot that alot of other citys

I disagree, while there are lots of nationalities and races here. I wouldn't say it was a melting pot at all.

However - an interracial couple won't have any problems here (unless the man is Asian and the woman Arab) :)

Jammy_Dodgers Jan 8th 2007 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4260797)
I disagree, while there are lots of nationalities and races here. I wouldn't say it was a melting pot at all.

However - an interracial couple won't have any problems here (unless the man is Asian and the woman Arab) :)

Ok, Multicultural then.