British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Internships. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/internships-474423/)

Liyamu Aug 16th 2007 2:40 am

Internships.

Just wondering if there is any information on summer internships (for next year) on this board (since everything can usually be answered here :p). Preferably in the finance/management/consultancy field. Im not even sure if its possible for someone who is from the UK because I doubt a company will give visa just for the summer but I might be proven wrong.

Thanks.

Estherzue Aug 16th 2007 9:07 pm

Re: Internships.

Originally Posted by Liyamu (Post 5194763)
Just wondering if there is any information on summer internships (for next year) on this board (since everything can usually be answered here :p). Preferably in the finance/management/consultancy field. Im not even sure if its possible for someone who is from the UK because I doubt a company will give visa just for the summer but I might be proven wrong.

Thanks.

Depends what kind of internship. If its unpaid for, or inofficially paid for, a visit visa is fine. For any kind of internship here unlike Europe you can't just apply. At least that's unheard of to me. Try knowing someone big, CEO, Head, the like, to sponsor you. You can make some of those contacts in Europe, just bust your ass networking and you'll get there in the end. And consultancy, you can go via the big ones.. McKinsey, Deloitte, BCG or KPMG are all in Dubai, some even in Abu Dhabi now. You can check their local sites and either apply directly with them or go via HQ and request Gulf. Might not work but worth a try. But most of them feature set internship programmes.

In general, its not so much common practice here yet, but I feel the tide is changing, many seniors begin to realise the worth of recruiting early (talkin money babe :)) But as ever, networking networking networking...that's the only thing that'll get you there.

Liyamu Aug 16th 2007 11:05 pm

Re: Internships.

Originally Posted by Estherzue (Post 5199240)
Depends what kind of internship. If its unpaid for, or inofficially paid for, a visit visa is fine. For any kind of internship here unlike Europe you can't just apply. At least that's unheard of to me. Try knowing someone big, CEO, Head, the like, to sponsor you. You can make some of those contacts in Europe, just bust your ass networking and you'll get there in the end. And consultancy, you can go via the big ones.. McKinsey, Deloitte, BCG or KPMG are all in Dubai, some even in Abu Dhabi now. You can check their local sites and either apply directly with them or go via HQ and request Gulf. Might not work but worth a try. But most of them feature set internship programmes.

In general, its not so much common practice here yet, but I feel the tide is changing, many seniors begin to realise the worth of recruiting early (talkin money babe :)) But as ever, networking networking networking...that's the only thing that'll get you there.

Yeah McKinsey, PwC, KPMG etc do give UK students the option of applying to the Dubai internships. Also, I know someone that is currently interning in Dubai through AIESEC (not sure if you've heard of it, www.aiesec.com) so i'll give that a go too.

Thanks for the advice. :)