Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Internet Runs Slow In Doha (or is it my imagination)?

Internet Runs Slow In Doha (or is it my imagination)?

Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:43 pm
a.k.a Mr Rascal

Rascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the rough
Default Internet Runs Slow In Doha (or is it my imagination)?

Do I imagine it when the internet comes to a dead stop here in Doha ??

Especially at 5.15 - 5.30pm at work when I go on line to check e-mails. It takes twenty minutes to even load the home page and no hope in hell of getting on hotmail? Its still trying to load that twenty minutes afer I type in its address!!!

And it is consistent too .... every day!!!

Then there are the occasions I get on Skype to natter to the missus (Rascal) and it goes dead slow or the picture breaks up or it switches itself off!

I wonder if Doha is connected to NZ or if NZ is connected to Doha! It was just as ruddy bad there to! NZ was supposedly broadband but that was a joke! A few weeks before it was going on broadband, dial up went real slow. So when broadband came back on, nobody knew if it was quick or not as they had forgotten the original speed of the dial up. NZ call 3K\S fast!!! I mean ...

What is it here in Doha then ..... slow or slower or the slowest??? Cos I note it is bad!

Plus I have a mobile network card on works lappie yet I have yet to find a hot spot for it to work? Dumb or what? Suppose its the air base again havig all the perks.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:12 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Runs Slow In Doha (or is it my imagination)?

Originally Posted by Rascalmate
Do I imagine it when the internet comes to a dead stop here in Doha ??

Especially at 5.15 - 5.30pm at work when I go on line to check e-mails. It takes twenty minutes to even load the home page and no hope in hell of getting on hotmail? Its still trying to load that twenty minutes afer I type in its address!!!

And it is consistent too .... every day!!!

Then there are the occasions I get on Skype to natter to the missus (Rascal) and it goes dead slow or the picture breaks up or it switches itself off!

I wonder if Doha is connected to NZ or if NZ is connected to Doha! It was just as ruddy bad there to! NZ was supposedly broadband but that was a joke! A few weeks before it was going on broadband, dial up went real slow. So when broadband came back on, nobody knew if it was quick or not as they had forgotten the original speed of the dial up. NZ call 3K\S fast!!! I mean ...

What is it here in Doha then ..... slow or slower or the slowest??? Cos I note it is bad!

Plus I have a mobile network card on works lappie yet I have yet to find a hot spot for it to work? Dumb or what? Suppose its the air base again havig all the perks.

You're using dial up?? That is dead slow. Adsl is a bit better tho still slowish. Talked to my family yesterday via msn and it was really good. I was surprised cos Im always having probs using video and chat together
Old Jul 15th 2006, 8:57 am
a.k.a Mr Rascal

Rascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the roughRascalmate is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Malteser
You're using dial up?? That is dead slow. Adsl is a bit better tho still slowish. Talked to my family yesterday via msn and it was really good. I was surprised cos Im always having probs using video and chat together
Nope believe it or not we are adsl router! Shared server with office downstairs.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 9:25 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascalmate
Nope believe it or not we are adsl router! Shared server with office downstairs.
Crap considering wot we pay for it.....
Old Jul 15th 2006, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malteser
Crap considering wot we pay for it.....
Same her ein NZ, I pay $60 pm, for 10gb, which No1 son uses in 5 minutes flat!
It is very, very slow for supposedly broadband.