British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Internet outside free zone (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/internet-outside-free-zone-509408/)

shiva Jan 27th 2008 4:58 am

Internet outside free zone

Well I'm finaly moving into the dreaded etisalat teritory away from du and the free zones proxy free yet poxy net connection
Qu is what internet connections with etisalat are like.
What I mean is, how reliable, ie how much down, time packet loss etc. How reliable are speeds ie i pay for 512k with Du and rarely get over half that speed, is etisalat any better?

Another option is i saw an advert for satellite (broadcast and receive) internet the other day but cant remember who it was for,does anyone know anything about that?

another one is can VPN's be used for torrents and online gaming?

Eeyore Jan 27th 2008 7:57 am

Re: Internet outside free zone

Yep, your VPN will work for torrenting and online gaming. Depending on the speed of your Etisalat line, it should also work for video chat.

Chris79 Jan 27th 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 5844252)
Yep, your VPN will work for torrenting and online gaming. Depending on the speed of your Etisalat line, it should also work for video chat.

I've just ordered Etisalat internet. What is a VPN and how do I get one/use one. I used to play online poker in the uk but all the sites are banned over here. I'd also like to be able to use video chat to keep in touch with the missus and family.

nottmbantam Jan 27th 2008 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 5844318)
I've just ordered Etisalat internet. What is a VPN and how do I get one/use one. I used to play online poker in the uk but all the sites are banned over here. I'd also like to be able to use video chat to keep in touch with the missus and family.

I've been looking into this as well, prior to my anticipaed arrival in Riyadh in a few months time. I want to be to use Skype to keep in touch with the folks back home but that is also banned in KSA.

A VPN is a Virtual Private Network which you set up on your pc. That is all i know so far, but lots of into if you Google it.

I need to make sure I can still access Skype as I'll be using an Apple Mac and need to investigate how / if a still need a VPN.....

Madam Medusa Jan 27th 2008 11:16 am

shiva, etisalat can be painfully slow...no rhyme nor reason to it, and it constantly drops off and then is back again in a few minutes. But, choices are limited, i guess, lol...

MM, xx

shiva Jan 28th 2008 8:00 am

thx folks

Dubai Knight Jan 28th 2008 8:13 am

Satellite connection is available through Etisalat as well as Showtime and Orbit. Speeds appear faster but you are always going to be tucked behind the proxy. This means Skype will eventually stop working unless you get an IP randomiser or Web tunnel.

A wireless LAN in the house is nice but the baud rate is slower than a hard wired VPN.

Best of luck!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Knight