International Banking

International Banking

Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:24 am
pkr
Just Joined

pkr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Banking

Hi, after some advice please.

I am paid in USD which gets transferred directly into my UK current account. Most of my expenses are in the UK so I need this. The bank gives me a fairly poor exchange rate (received 1.52 on Friday when official rate was 1.475 - costing me over GBP100) and if I do take cash out locally in Oman with my debit card I get charged approx 6% in rate/fees.

Does anybody know a more cost-efficient way of doing this?

Thanks.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 4:31 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: International Banking

Originally Posted by pkr

I am paid in USD which gets transferred directly into my UK current account. Most of my expenses are in the UK so I need this. The bank gives me a fairly poor exchange rate (received 1.52 on Friday when official rate was 1.475 - costing me over GBP100) and if I do take cash out locally in Oman with my debit card I get charged approx 6% in rate/fees.

Thanks.
there's a couple of people on here that are well versed in these matters, but until they reply (and to get you started perhaps) have you tried looking at www.offshore.hsbc.com ? they've got accounts in all the different currencies and a good internet-banking portal that allows you to pay british bills etc.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:30 am
pkr
Just Joined

pkr is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

I did try various offshore bank accounts, but they all seem to require a minimum balance of 10k which I simply cannot afford at the moment.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:54 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pkr
Thanks.

I did try various offshore bank accounts, but they all seem to require a minimum balance of 10k which I simply cannot afford at the moment.
true, but i think with the hsbc one, it just has to be there in 3x months. i opened mine with zero about 6x months ago with them and then added the minimum about 2x months later. as long as i put money into it and they issued the card, no big deal.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 8:13 am
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by still.unsure
true, but i think with the hsbc one, it just has to be there in 3x months. i opened mine with zero about 6x months ago with them and then added the minimum about 2x months later. as long as i put money into it and they issued the card, no big deal.
I use them as well, their internet banking facilities are really good. The only drawback I encountered is the card they issue. My account with them is in Euro's but every time the card is used, the transactions are either converted into Pounds or US Dollars. Extra earnings on the exchange rates for them. But it's tax free.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pkr

Thanks.
You're complaining about 1.52?

In July it was above 2.00..............
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:13 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes a good offshore account should solve your problems.

If it's a fairly large and regular amount though there might be some other options for you - feel free to PM me if you need any help with that.

N.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 1:32 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pkr
Thanks.

Amongst others, I have an agency for a bank with a minimum of GBP 2k if that's any good to you.

-