Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Insuring a car in the UK

Insuring a car in the UK

Old Jun 5th 2014, 10:18 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insuring a car in the UK

If the insurance company has accepted that you'll be driving in the UK on a UAE licence, and you have written confirmation of this so there can be no misunderstanding, then no worries. Many insurers won't accept additional drivers with non-EU licences on UK policies though.

For a couple of years we bought short-term policies to cover ourselves on our parents' cars, until all the companies that offered it started restricting cover to UK residents (or EU licences) only.

Last edited by Eeyore; Jun 5th 2014 at 10:22 am.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 10:32 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
You can't prove that you're right, though, can you? You're choosing to believe an opinion that suits you, and you'll probably have no problems as long as you aren't involved in any accidents - but obviously, you can't guarantee that. Since the DVLA itself gives out conflicting advice, my view will remain that the safest course of action is to rent a car when we're back in the UK. I really don't want to run the risk of being part of the test case that finally clears up this grey area. YMM, of course, V.
What conflicting advice? AFAIA the only advice that is vaguely relevant is that you can't renew your licence unless you live in the UK, which I'm not seeking to do. Everything else is people's opinions, unless I've missed something.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
What conflicting advice? AFAIA the only advice that is vaguely relevant is that you can't renew your licence unless you live in the UK, which I'm not seeking to do. Everything else is people's opinions, unless I've missed something.
As I understand it there are two issues which are not connected:

1) You cannot get car insurance in UK if you are non resident and for the insurance companies that means if you are out of the country for 6 months or more in any one year. This is the situation regardless of whether or not you have a valid UK driving licence.

2) If you change your address you must change the address on your UK driving licence and you cannot have an address outside of UK. Unless you have an address in UK you therefor cannot have a valid UK driving licence.

What would be good to know is - has anyone managed to insure a car in the UK when they are not resident in UK (spend less than 6 months a year in UK and have declared this to the insurance company) ?. If so with which company and how much.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:03 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

So many conflicting stories and thoughts that it seems there is no definitive answer and until someone who lives overseas and drivers a car registered to them on their UK license is involved in a claim come through financially unscathed or not everyone needs to make their own minds up.

As for my case I have insured a 2004 Discovery fully comp through a broker called Keith Michaels, the Ins co. is Aviva, for GBP580. I told them that I live overseas and spend less than 6 months a year in the UK, mileage of about 5000 a year, the car will be garaged, someone will check the house & vehicle every 2 weeks, and they accepted my no claims history for the last 10 years that me and my wife have lived overseas (8 years New Zealand & 2 years Qatar). So quite steep but it is covered now and we will consider other options next year.

As for car hire we are a large family (6) so need a big enough vehicle every time we visit and the cost of renting something through the summer would almost have cost the same as buying the Disco so a no brainer for me.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by P18PPS

As for my case I have insured a 2004 Discovery fully comp through a broker called Keith Michaels, the Ins co. is Aviva, for GBP580.
Make sure you read the policy carefully cause we were refused by Aviva.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 2:52 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
As I understand it there are two issues which are not connected:

1) You cannot get car insurance in UK if you are non resident and for the insurance companies that means if you are out of the country for 6 months or more in any one year. This is the situation regardless of whether or not you have a valid UK driving licence.
I'm a named driver on my wife's insurance, which was done with two different insurers at different times, in both instances when I was already not resident and I told the insurers that fact. The first insurer told me to let them know a few days in advance of each visit I made to the UK, and they'd add me for that visit; the second insurer added me permanently. It appears to be different if you're trying to get insurance in your own name. Insurers were Admiral and another.

2) If you change your address you must change the address on your UK driving licence and you cannot have an address outside of UK. Unless you have an address in UK you therefor cannot have a valid UK driving licence.
The second sentence is a guess. Has anyone actually written to DVLA and said they're moving abroad?

What would be good to know is - has anyone managed to insure a car in the UK when they are not resident in UK (spend less than 6 months a year in UK and have declared this to the insurance company) ?. If so with which company and how much.
See above.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 3:20 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Everything else is people's opinions, unless I've missed something.
You've missed something. It's on the previous page. Here it is again, bolded for emphasis:

You can choose to believe that poster (I forget who) who said that they got some kind of confirmation from the DVLA that their UK licence is still valid when they're visiting the UK if you want. Problem is, I've discussed this with the DVLA and they've said no, that advice was wrong and should not have been given.

There is currently *no* definitive answer to this issue, and chances are there won't be until it's tested in court. As I said, I don't want to run the risk of being a starring player in that test case.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:11 pm
Hit 16's

You've missed something. It's on the previous page. Here it is again, bolded for emphasis:

You can choose to believe that poster (I forget who) who said that they got some kind of confirmation from the DVLA that their UK licence is still valid when they're visiting the UK if you want. Problem is, I've discussed this with the DVLA and they've said no, that advice was wrong and should not have been given.

There is currently *no* definitive answer to this issue, and chances are there won't be until it's tested in court. As I said, I don't want to run the risk of being a starring player in that test case.
For no licence, max fine is a grand, and 3-6 points. Obviously more serious if it invalidates your insurance.

This link doesn't add much, but may be of interest:

http://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/short-te...seas-residents

We have been unable to find insurers willing to offer short term insurance to Non UK residents with driving licences issued in countries other than UK, EC and EEA, Australia and New Zealand. If you are in this group, we suggest you try car rental instead.
Which takes us back to the basic question of whether or not your/my UK licence is still valid.

There's a question function available on the DVLA website, but requires that you give full identifying details...
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:15 pm
Hit 16's

I actually meant written, official advice (eg on the DVLA website). However, I'm not accusing you of making up the conversation you had with the DVLA. I agree, it seems there's no definitive answer, but I'm willing to live (and drive) with the risk of 3-6 points and a grand's fine. It will be academic for me shortly when I get my driving licence here...