Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Insuring a car in the UK

Insuring a car in the UK

Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:08 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insuring a car in the UK

Originally Posted by P18PPS

It is a bit clearer now that being non resident means my license is invalid.
Oh no, not this again... It isn't invalid. Do a search in the ME forum, there was a definitive post about a year ago.

And anybody who lies to an insurance company to get cheaper (or any) insurance is stupid.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...riving+licence
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy

And anybody who lies to an insurance company to get cheaper (or any) insurance is stupid.
Not a case of getting cheaper - I have not been able to find any company that will provide car insurance at any price. I would be interested to learn if anyone else has. Most expats I know simply take out UK standard car insurance, which is in fact invalid.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Questor provide car hire insurance for non UK residents and it covers car hire worldwide.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
This gave me quite a few leads so thanks.

It is a bit clearer now that being non resident means my license is invalid.

I can see a parent being utilised as a the registered keeper and policy holder and me being named driver coming on!!
thats a way around it, but of course you still cant use your uk licence until you are "resident" again
Old Jun 4th 2014, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, not this again... It isn't invalid. Do a search in the ME forum, there was a definitive post about a year ago.

your licence is not valid if you are not resident, now how long to you hve to be to become resident again... but when you "exchange" your licence here in uae they should send it back to dvla as you are "exchanging" so you must use your uae licence when hiring cars anywhere in the world.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 3:06 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
your licence is not valid if you are not resident, now how long to you hve to be to become resident again... but when you "exchange" your licence here in uae they should send it back to dvla as you are "exchanging" so you must use your uae licence when hiring cars anywhere in the world.
Absolute bollocks.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Absolute bollocks.
nope not..... if you want to chance it when you have an accident and have used your non valid licence and bought the wrong insurance for a resident.... do you think the insurance companies will be nice about it....
Old Jun 4th 2014, 3:15 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by busybee2
nope not..... if you want to chance it when you have an accident and have used your non valid licence and bought the wrong insurance for a resident.... do you think the insurance companies will be nice about it....
Your post didn't say anything about insurance. Your licence is valid when you return to UK, be it for a day or a century.

As I've always said, don't tell porkies to insurers.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Your post didn't say anything about insurance. Your licence is valid when you return to UK, be it for a day or a century.

As I've always said, don't tell porkies to insurers.
didnt i say when you become resident, but if you have a residence visa for another country etc etc then when do you become resident again??

no that particular one didnt so i answered two questions so
Old Jun 4th 2014, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

I think most people just use a car hire when back in blighty.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:04 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute bollocks.
You can choose to believe that poster (I forget who) who said that they got some kind of confirmation from the DVLA that their UK licence is still valid when they're visiting the UK if you want. Problem is, I've discussed this with the DVLA and they've said no, that advice was wrong and should not have been given.

Since there's no definitive answer to this, and I really don't want to be part of the court case that decides it, I personally err on the side of caution and assume my licence is *not* valid in the UK while I'm not a permanent resident.

I do know someone who moved back to the UK a few years ago, but still uses their UAE driving licence to drive a friend's car when they're back in Dubai for visits. That strikes me as being an insane risk.

P18PPS - if you get insurance cover, let us know how much and which company. It'll be useful to know hard figures for this sort of thing, since all I've ever heard is that private UK car insurance for expats is "very expensive". My wife managed to get covered as an additional driver on her parents' insurance, and got a letter from the company confirming that they understood she was an expat and would be driving on her UAE licence, but the following year the corporate policy changed and they refused to cover her any more.

Last edited by Eeyore; Jun 4th 2014 at 6:14 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 9:01 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Eeyore
You can choose to believe that poster (I forget who) who said that they got some kind of confirmation from the DVLA that their UK licence is still valid when they're visiting the UK if you want. Problem is, I've discussed this with the DVLA and they've said no, that advice was wrong and should not have been given.

Since there's no definitive answer to this, and I really don't want to be part of the court case that decides it, I personally err on the side of caution and assume my licence is *not* valid in the UK while I'm not a permanent resident.

I do know someone who moved back to the UK a few years ago, but still uses their UAE driving licence to drive a friend's car when they're back in Dubai for visits. That strikes me as being an insane risk.

P18PPS - if you get insurance cover, let us know how much and which company. It'll be useful to know hard figures for this sort of thing, since all I've ever heard is that private UK car insurance for expats is "very expensive". My wife managed to get covered as an additional driver on her parents' insurance, and got a letter from the company confirming that they understood she was an expat and would be driving on her UAE licence, but the following year the corporate policy changed and they refused to cover her any more.
Driving in the UAE on a licence that has expired is just plain daft.

My wife lives in UK. I drive her car when I'm back; I'm added onto her insurance as a named driver, and the insurance company is aware that I live abroad. Seeing as there's nothing written anywhere officially (that I've seen) that says my UK licence is invalid, and that my wife's insurance company covers me, I find it very difficult to believe that my licence is invalid. If someone cares to prove I'm wrong, I'll alter my view.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 10:10 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

If someone cares to prove I'm wrong, I'll alter my view.
You can't prove that you're right, though, can you? You're choosing to believe an opinion that suits you, and you'll probably have no problems as long as you aren't involved in any accidents - but obviously, you can't guarantee that. Since the DVLA itself gives out conflicting advice, my view will remain that the safest course of action is to rent a car when we're back in the UK. I really don't want to run the risk of being part of the test case that finally clears up this grey area. YMM, of course, V.

Last edited by Eeyore; Jun 4th 2014 at 10:25 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

My wife lives in UK. I drive her car when I'm back; I'm added onto her insurance as a named driver, and the insurance company is aware that I live abroad.
Exactly the same and I only take my UAE licence back to UK. Gonna be difficult (I think) to do me for speeding etc. when I don't live there and show that licence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.