Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Inside the Saudi Kingdom BBC documentary

Inside the Saudi Kingdom BBC documentary

Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inside the Saudi Kingdom BBC documentary

Emiratis were schooled by Brits. Yanks do not have roundabouts I am told. Mind you i have never been further west than Dublin so this is all hearsay.

Driving in KSA is certainly something else.

As for the documentary I have yet to see anything that showed a good picture of the real (and complex) Saudi Arabia.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:35 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

It's about expectations. It seems to me the purpose of the documentary was to reveal (to the extent allowed) how this royal bloke rules the (most conservative) province. As far as i am concerned the guy is pretty impressive. He comes across as educated and intelligent and does have a few good points in the closing statement. Another thing is that we are perhaps familiar with some customs so showing how a wedding is done isn't so revealing. But surely to someone who has never left greater Newcastle this is fascinating new stuff. Then there was stuff about that student lady etc. All in all I liked it.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Emiratis were schooled by Brits. Yanks do not have roundabouts I am told. Mind you i have never been further west than Dublin so this is all hearsay.

Driving in KSA is certainly something else.

As for the documentary I have yet to see anything that showed a good picture of the real (and complex) Saudi Arabia.
Ami's call roundabouts 'cloverleafs' and haven't got the hang of them either.

Out of curiosity, ask about the Aramco left handed carpenters, too.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:29 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
Unless this video showed bearded wankers bastardising Islam and driving like retards, it was complete propaganda.
I think it bastardises itself - but they do make up a lot of shite that isn't really in Islam...and they can't drive for certain

N.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I think it bastardises itself - but they do make up a lot of shite that isn't really in Islam...and they can't drive for certain

N.
It is an interesting fact that there is two versions of Islam. There is the ( long forgotten, peaceful ) form of Islam, and there is the current corrupt, political Islam, which is forceful and aggressive, and far from the original incarnation, fueled by the power of oil. Bahrain gives a bit of a clue what will happen when the Gulf state oil reserves begin to wain, and tribalism returns, and the so called states will be tribes with flags....
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:13 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
It is an interesting fact that there is two versions of Islam. There is the ( long forgotten, peaceful ) form of Islam, and there is the current corrupt, political Islam, which is forceful and aggressive, and far from the original incarnation, fueled by the power of oil. Bahrain gives a bit of a clue what will happen when the Gulf state oil reserves begin to wain, and tribalism returns, and the so called states will be tribes with flags....
When was Islam peaceful? Within 30 years of Mohammad's death they had attacked and/or conquered what is now 28 countries. Within a few centuries a third of the Christian world was lost forever (well, they took back Spain). Rome was sacked centuries before the first Crusade (the Crusades were simply a miserable attempt to regain lands previously Christian.

There are many schools of Islam...some are very tolerant, peaceful and decent, others are not. History shows it began with extreme violence and got better in some areas and some times. This violent form is actually older and more in line with it's origins and founder.

Do you want evidence to back this up? I'm not pulling this out of the air to bash Muslims...Muslims are diverse and interesting - as much as any other group.

N.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When was Islam peaceful? Within 30 years of Mohammad's death they had attacked and/or conquered what is now 28 countries. Within a few centuries a third of the Christian world was lost forever (well, they took back Spain). Rome was sacked centuries before the first Crusade (the Crusades were simply a miserable attempt to regain lands previously Christian.

There are many schools of Islam...some are very tolerant, peaceful and decent, others are not. History shows it began with extreme violence and got better in some areas and some times. This violent form is actually older and more in line with it's origins and founder.

Do you want evidence to back this up? I'm not pulling this out of the air to bash Muslims...Muslims are diverse and interesting - as much as any other group.

Well, the was reasonable peaceful, but like most religions power crazed ideologues perverted the idea for their own egotistical reasons, and brought forth the contempt of free thinking rationalists.
N.

Last edited by OleJanx; Feb 22nd 2013 at 7:57 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:32 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

N.
I'm sure there is a bit in the Koran which goes along the lines of it being alright to use force to obtain peace .

Bit of a side note but I do find KSA a very peaceful place to live .A lot more so than " peaceful " Buddhist Thailand where I was for many years previously .
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I'm sure there is a bit in the Koran which goes along the lines of it being alright to use force to obtain peace .

Bit of a side note but I do find KSA a very peaceful place to live .A lot more so than " peaceful " Buddhist Thailand where I was for many years previously .
There are violent and peaceful verses in the Koran to be fair. I have seen a comparison with the bible (which is larger) and the Koran comes off worse in the violence dept.

KSA is a police state with limited freedoms, lots of people live behind big walls and it's got a high GDP....it would be hard for it not to be more peaceful than Buddhist Thailand. Southern Thailand has problems with Muslims going into schools and shooting teachers in front of the class for the heinous crime of teaching girls and basing the education on more secular line.

N.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:25 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

There are violent and peaceful verses in the Koran to be fair. I have seen a comparison with the bible (which is larger) and the Koran comes off worse in the violence dept.

KSA is a police state with limited freedoms, lots of people live behind big walls and it's got a high GDP....it would be hard for it not to be more peaceful than Buddhist Thailand. Southern Thailand has problems with Muslims going into schools and shooting teachers in front of the class for the heinous crime of teaching girls and basing the education on more secular line.

N.
Yes , it's the three southernmost provinces of Yala , Pattani , and Naratiwat where the problems are . About 6000 dead in the past 8 years , both Buddhist and Muslim . The Thai government doesn't exactly help matters when they go around storming 425 year old mosques and killing 100 militants as they did at Krue Se in 2004 . Or when 78 Muslim prisoners died of suffocation in police custody at Tak Bai also in 2004 . They have also been involved in the trafficking of Muslim Rohingya boat people from Burma ( a recent BBC investigation was about this ) , that is when they're not murdering them by dragging their boats out to see and ensuring they have no fuel and food . Some despicable acts by both sides Muslim and Buddhist , and no end in sight .
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Yes , it's the three southernmost provinces of Yala , Pattani , and Naratiwat where the problems are . About 6000 dead in the past 8 years , both Buddhist and Muslim . The Thai government doesn't exactly help matters when they go around storming 425 year old mosques and killing 100 militants as they did at Krue Se in 2004 . Or when 78 Muslim prisoners died of suffocation in police custody at Tak Bai also in 2004 . They have also been involved in the trafficking of Muslim Rohingya boat people from Burma ( a recent BBC investigation was about this ) , that is when they're not murdering them by dragging their boats out to see and ensuring they have no fuel and food . Some despicable acts by both sides Muslim and Buddhist , and no end in sight .
Thai's are not as passive as some other Buddhists. And they are not fighting in the name of Buddhism...the Muslims there are fighting in the name of their religion - like in the Philippines and other places too.

They are lucky the Thai's haven't wiped them out to be fair...we're talking about South East Asia not liberal guilt ridden Europe. These people play for keeps.

N.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 9:21 am

I wouldn't say the Muslims are fighting in the name of their religion . The three southernmost provinces are ethnically different from the rest of Thailand in that they have a Malay majority . They also speak a different language , using the the Yawi dialect . They see themselves as ethnically and culturally different from the Buddhist majority in the rest of Thailand . It just so happens that they are Muslims . They are not restricted in practising Islam and they have freedom of worship .
Some locals in the area support some kind of independence from Thailand, while others clearly do not. The national referendum to support the junta-backed constitution for Thailand was favored by a majority in all three southernmost provinces and passed overwhelmingly in the southern region of Thailand, with 87% of the 3.7 million voters who participated there approving it .
The reason the Thais haven't " wiped them out " is probably to do with the fact that they are seen as Thai by the government in BKK , which does have Muslim representation . This is not the case with the Rohingya , which is why they have been treated so badly . There would be an absolute uproar if
similar things happened to Thai people like there was when the prisoners suffocated to death at Tak Bai in 2004 .