Reload this Page >

Initial costs for settling in Dubai

Initial costs for settling in Dubai

Old Apr 25th 2015, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Initial costs for settling in Dubai

Hi,

I am calculating how much money I would need initially for the first month when settling in Dubai. I have uploaded a previous thread on overall budget but need to calculate whether I need to bring any extra funds. Can you please let me know of any costs I have not considered or if the below is unrealistic. The below is based on annual accommodation cost of AED75000.

5% housing fees - 3750
5% agency fees - 3750
4 months rent in advance - 25000
Security deposit - 5000
DEWA Deposit - 2000
Water & electricity - 500
Internet - 350
Phone - 500
Food - 3000
Other misc - 2000
Transferring to UAE driving license - 670
Car lease + Insurance - 2000
Fuel - 800

Total - AED49,320 excl. furniture

Also, could you please answer the following query:-
1. Do most companies offer interest free loan when you first join? If so, how much should I expect?
2. How much would I need to furnish a one bed room. I know this is a very vague questions. For kitchen appliances, if I was in the UK, I would be looking to purchase Beko or Hotpoint brand appliances and not premium appliances such as Miele. I am looking to gradually furnish but would need the necessities initially such as bed, fridge, washing machine, etc. How much should I budget for the initial necessities?

Let me know if you need any more information on any of the above. Thanks.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Initial costs for settling in Dubai

Looking when you're on the ground and able to see what local pricing - via Dubizzle and supermarket advert boards have up for sale is going to be your best bet. A week or two in an hotel whilst you find your feet is highly recommended. Worrying about things before you arrive only leaves you wound up.
Be cool,open minded and don't worry so much!
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

@OleJanx - I understand your point and do not expect to have everything or anything planned as things change in reality. I just don't want to be in a situation where I am having financial difficulties when I first arrive. I have a bit of savings secretly locked away and reluctant to touch it if its not required and therefore wanted a rough ballpark number of initial set-up costs.

I am anal and try to over-plan and analyse when I should be cool and open minded. Unfortunately, its part of my personality
Old Apr 26th 2015, 5:08 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taz786 View Post
Hi,

I am calculating how much money I would need initially for the first month when settling in Dubai. I have uploaded a previous thread on overall budget but need to calculate whether I need to bring any extra funds. Can you please let me know of any costs I have not considered or if the below is unrealistic. The below is based on annual accommodation cost of AED75000.

5% housing fees - 3750 Don't pay this up front, it's spread over the year an d included monthly in DEWA bills
5% agency fees - 3750 OK
4 months rent in advance - 25000 OK
Security deposit - 5000 What's this? Deposit is normally 5%
DEWA Deposit - 2000 I think it's 1000 or 1500 for an apartment
Water & electricity - 500 OK
Internet - 350 There's a deposit I think for Du/Etisalat. Not loads, but something to check. Maybe 500-1000. Can't remember
Phone - 500 OK
Food - 3000 OK
Other misc - 2000 OK
Transferring to UAE driving license - 670 OK
Car lease + Insurance - 2000 OK
Fuel - 800 Unlikely. If you live near work you won't spend this much. My tank is 120 to fill and does about 380-400km with no effort towards efficiency.

Total - AED49,320 excl. furniture

Also, could you please answer the following query:-
1. Do most companies offer interest free loan when you first join? If so, how much should I expect? you need to ask them if they cna do a rent loan for you. They will hopefully say yes, then boom, sorted. If they say no then lots will say they can help sort one through a bank etc.
2. How much would I need to furnish a one bed room. I know this is a very vague questions. For kitchen appliances, if I was in the UK, I would be looking to purchase Beko or Hotpoint brand appliances and not premium appliances such as Miele. I am looking to gradually furnish but would need the necessities initially such as bed, fridge, washing machine, etc. How much should I budget for the initial necessities? They're not cheap but they're not ridiculous. Carrefour is your friend. I reckon a hob; 1000, washing machine 1500, fridge 800. Bed - different story, you can go and buy one from IKEA for reasonable price or you can be smart and spend some money on it because it's worth having a decent frame and mattress. I got mine from Home Centre and came as a bedroom set with side tables and chest and other shit. ALl built for me too. that was 4-5000 I think.

Let me know if you need any more information on any of the above. Thanks.
You can buy a lot of second hand things on Dubizzle. I still have the same second hand sofa that I bought 4 years ago when I moved here for 500 dizzers.

I / we drew the line at a second hand bed. No thanks.

I bought all new white goods, but all fairly standard. If there were 5 options I bought the middle or second best. Nobody wants to be a pikey and nobody wants to buy the expensive shit.

Frankly, none of that stuff is too expensive. It's when you've settled and decide a new TV is needed and spend 7,000 on one of them that you need to get your head tested.... oops.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

The one thing we didn't budget enough for was the furniture and fittings. Just buying a full kitchen of pots, pans, knives, forks, chopping boards etc etc suddenly found us running up the thousands of dirhams.

We spent about 20,000aed in Home Centre fully furnishing our 1 bedroom flat. We had a 12k furniture allowance, though, which made it easier to spend a bit!

Thankfully our apartment came with white goods.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 10:39 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by driftingaway View Post
The one thing we didn't budget enough for was the furniture and fittings. Just buying a full kitchen of pots, pans, knives, forks, chopping boards etc etc suddenly found us running up the thousands of dirhams.

We spent about 20,000aed in Home Centre fully furnishing our 1 bedroom flat. We had a 12k furniture allowance, though, which made it easier to spend a bit!

Good point.

You easily forget that you have to buy everything. Peeler, can opener, tea towels. All the shit you just magically accumulate in the UK has to be bought.

I bought microwave rice or something not long after moving here. Came home, spent ages being really confused as to where the microwave had gone before remembering I didn't buy one.

Wish I hadn't. I never use the thing. It just sits there all smug and clean.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

And you'll sell it all for 2k when the time comes to leave.

Been there, done that.

Old Apr 26th 2015, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
And you'll sell it all for 2k when the time comes to leave.

Been there, done that.
Yip it's all nice stuff but not quite nice enough to ship back!
Old Apr 26th 2015, 11:20 am
WWLLCJD?

Yip it's all nice stuff but not quite nice enough to ship back!
I sometimes look around my place and wonder what I'd take. Mainly it's art / pictures and a few other bits but nothing too major. Oh, definitely the TV.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Wait till you see the shipping costs.

This time around I'm sticking strictly to the bare basics and everything from dubizzle. When I leave, it's all going.

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I sometimes look around my place and wonder what I'd take. Mainly it's art / pictures and a few other bits but nothing too major. Oh, definitely the TV.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 12:52 pm
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
Wait till you see the shipping costs.

This time around I'm sticking strictly to the bare basics and everything from dubizzle. When I leave, it's all going.
I know what you mean, but one day I'll be buying furniture and shit that I want to keep. So doing a bit now doesn't hurt.

Kitted the place out in Ikea, now slowly replacing some items with nicer things that I'd happily pay to ship home.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Scampi, stick with the dubizzle and ikea stuff. Only buy decent when babies have come and gone. Baby puke ****s sofas and kids bikes and nerf guns
wreck everything else
My most wrecked piece of furniture is the only one I would never part with. A 2 inch thick pine kitchen table that's been beaten with knives forks, had motorcycle engines rebuilt on it and out lived numerous wives. Each dent in the table has a story
I know you don't want kids but you will
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Taz, I really would try and relax, your level of detail is beyond anal. Are you a QS or accountant by any chance ?
Relax and enjoy the adventure
You really need to be thinking about whether you want street facing apartment or backside, whether you want to face towards Iran, Oman, Abu dhabi and Saudi. How tolerant you are of the smell of stale piss. Yep I was submitting some security papers for a visit to India and the side streets in bur Dubai reeked of rancid piss, nice
Sadly I don't have the latest rancid piss index available. You'll just have to sniff it out unless there are any Dubai based QS's on here who probably have a copy
Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:02 am
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by Tockalosh View Post
Scampi, stick with the dubizzle and ikea stuff. Only buy decent when babies have come and gone. Baby puke ****s sofas and kids bikes and nerf guns
wreck everything else
My most wrecked piece of furniture is the only one I would never part with. A 2 inch thick pine kitchen table that's been beaten with knives forks, had motorcycle engines rebuilt on it and out lived numerous wives. Each dent in the table has a story
I know you don't want kids but you will
True and good point.

I love a table like that.

**** kids. They're ***** and they ruin your life, as demonstrated by the above.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all for your comments.. Gives me more of an understanding on the costs.

@ Tockalosh - Lol i'm not either of those professions but understand your point. Guess I am slowly getting excited about this opportunity but need to ease my mind till I get there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.