Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Inheritance tax in UK

Inheritance tax in UK

Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:02 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Inheritance tax in UK

Saw this on the net this morning - where do we stand legally if either ourself or our partner dies. I had a friend who lost her husband here, will tell that story later.

Homeowners
Inheritance tax (IHT) is set to affect more families as house prices continue to rise.
The tax is paid at 40% on the value of your estate when you die above the current threshold of £285,000 – and remember your estate includes your home. Stephen Herring of BDO Stoy Hayward advises the chancellor to increase the exemption threshold to £500,000. He says: “The tax would then hit its target, and miss the moderately affluent homeowners.”
Brown could even scrap IHT and instead apply capital gains tax to your estate when you die. But he is unlikely to be in a radical mood at such as crucial moment in his political career.
On the subject of capital gains, the chancellor could do worse than simplify the tax. There are two rates of CGT, plus taper relief, which makes it overly complicated.
Find out more about inheritance tax with Direct.gov
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:47 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inheritance tax in UK

Ah, the budget. A nice reminder as to why we chose not to live in the UK anymore.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'll be having a laugh at that later.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Saw this on the net this morning - where do we stand legally if either ourself or our partner dies. I had a friend who lost her husband here, will tell that story later.

Homeowners
Inheritance tax (IHT) is set to affect more families as house prices continue to rise.
The tax is paid at 40% on the value of your estate when you die above the current threshold of £285,000 – and remember your estate includes your home. Stephen Herring of BDO Stoy Hayward advises the chancellor to increase the exemption threshold to £500,000. He says: “The tax would then hit its target, and miss the moderately affluent homeowners.”
Brown could even scrap IHT and instead apply capital gains tax to your estate when you die. But he is unlikely to be in a radical mood at such as crucial moment in his political career.
On the subject of capital gains, the chancellor could do worse than simplify the tax. There are two rates of CGT, plus taper relief, which makes it overly complicated.
I could be wrong (yes, really! ) but I don't think there is any inheritance tax between spouses? I don't think it is legal to marry your children either though...
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:09 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
I could be wrong (yes, really! ) but I don't think there is any inheritance tax between spouses? .........
Luckily you are not wrong. IT only kicks in once the second spouse pops his/her clogs!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:39 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Homeowners
I've done a fair amount of this sort of estate planning with my clients.

There's an easy way out of having to sell or re-mortage a home just to pay IHT...get a life insurance policy to the value of the tax bill (or more if you) and when you or your partner dies the taxman gets his cut and your family is no worse off (maybe better off) as life insurance is not taxable on payout and doesn't count as part of your estate.

I think IHT is disgusting but that's more to do with the fact our government thinks spending our hard earned cash on Mega Mosques in the middle London is more important than extra police, improving infastructure or maybe looking after the elderly and vetrans!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:46 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I've done a fair amount of this sort of estate planning with my clients.

There's an easy way out of having to sell or re-mortage a home just to pay IHT...get a life insurance policy to the value of the tax bill (or more if you) and when you or your partner dies the taxman gets his cut and your family is no worse off (maybe better off) as life insurance is not taxable on payout and doesn't count as part of your estate.

I think IHT is disgusting but that's more to do with the fact our government thinks spending our hard earned cash on Mega Mosques in the middle London is more important than extra police, improving infastructure or maybe looking after the elderly and vetrans!
I didn't realise that Norm. about the life insurance policy being about to cover the inheritance tax, good idea. 285,000 quid is not a long of money when there is a property involved in these days
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:51 pm
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold

I must say that inheritance tax is something that makes my bloody boil... it doesnt matter how bloody rich you are why should the goverment get a slice of it when you die..... you have probably paid tax all your life and the richer you are the more you pay..... its disgusting and should be abolished:curse:
Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:58 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassy
I must say that inheritance tax is something that makes my bloody boil... it doesnt matter how bloody rich you are why should the goverment get a slice of it when you die..... you have probably paid tax all your life and the richer you are the more you pay..... its disgusting and should be abolished:curse:
If there was no IT, the money would have to be raised by general taxation, i.e. it would hit the low paid, non-property owning individuals more heavily.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:13 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
If there was no IT, the money would have to be raised by general taxation, i.e. it would hit the low paid, non-property owning individuals more heavily.
and your point is .................................................. ......................
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:17 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Fairydust
and your point is .................................................. ......................
IT is a more equitable means of raising the money.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:20 pm
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold

I dont care I still think its outrageous to have to pay once your dead when you have already paid tax on it already
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:23 pm
Homebody

I dont care I still think its outrageous to have to pay once your dead when you have already paid tax on it already
How come?

Think of it as a Capital Gains Tax that is levied after you die.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree totally, Sassy...it's not like you haven't already paid tax, this is a double whammy.

MM, xx
Old Mar 28th 2007, 6:45 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise that Norm. about the life insurance policy being about to cover the inheritance tax, good idea. 285,000 quid is not a long of money when there is a property involved in these days
Most people don't realise and don't seek professional advice so they end up victim to the cold calling salesman or paying HM Government more money to spend of things we don't need or want!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.