Reload this Page >

Information required!

Information required!

Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

rocha27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Information required!

Hi all

As a new user of this forum, I would like to know as much as possible about moving to Dubai.

I'm an architect being interviewed for a couple of positions with companies operating in Dubai.

I have been trying to find out what's the best package I can negotiate, and one of my main problems is knowing what's the reasonable wage package for someone like me (by the way, I have more than 15 years experience). Does the package include housing or some allowance?

I also have a small family (one 2 year old a baby to be born in early November), so my family will only be joining me later on.

I'll need to buy a car, and don't mind going for a second hand...can anyone recommend a reliable car dealer? How much would I be expected to pay for a second hand car? Are japanese car (ex HONDA CRV) more cheaper than a US or european car (ex a JEEP CHEROKEE or LAND ROVER)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all
Old Aug 7th 2007, 4:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information required!

hiya, as you can imagine we are asked these questions alot and we are all willing to help. Do a search on here and you will find loads of information.

You want to be looking at:

Basic Salary - see what they offer and get back to us
Housing Allowance - 180,000 dhs
Medical Insurance for the entire family - you won't get maternity cover at this stage but the Government hospital isn't bad and will set you back about 800 quid for the delivery and ante natal
Car - either they supply one or get an allowance in the region of 2000 Dhs a month, I am not very up on car prices but they are way cheaper than the UK.
Flights - return airfares to 'home' annually
Schooling - try and get school fees included in the package, my little one is 3 and is starting school this september - 26,000 dhs a year.

Good luck
Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Information required!

Thanks Blue Cat. I've been reading some of the post, and you are right...it seems to me th "million dollar" question.

I need to 'know' the extra costs, which you kindly mentioned...

I'll keep reading and asking as I go along.

Cheers
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Raaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really nice

Originally Posted by rocha27
Thanks Blue Cat. I've been reading some of the post, and you are right...it seems to me th "million dollar" question.

I need to 'know' the extra costs, which you kindly mentioned...

I'll keep reading and asking as I go along.

Cheers
Yes dear.

You must see wat package you are getting in dubai, cos you will not paid fully for the metrinity and all.
you can get a car but after getting driving lisence only.
that will cost your around not more than 4500 Dirhams.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Hi everyone

My wife and I have agreed that she would only travel after having the baby...so, that seems to cover the maternity issue.

Thanks for all the other views.

To exchange my drivers license I have to pay 4500 Dhs? Is this correct?

Cheers
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Hi again

As for pay, the agencies that are handling my situation have mentioned pay to be around 33K to 35k a month. The thing is they also say that in these values they are are already considering living allowence a travel allowence.

I've asked them to break down the package so that I can figure out how much is how much, but no reply yet....

How far can I go with these values, considering I'm applying for a senior position?

Cheers
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

To exchange my drivers license I have to pay 4500 Dhs? Is this correct?

Cheers
that is the cost for taking driving lessons and taking a test. As a portugese citizen I think you'll just be able to fill in a form to get your local licence once you've got your residense permit. No test or lessons. takes about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:48 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again

As for pay, the agencies that are handling my situation have mentioned pay to be around 33K to 35k a month. The thing is they also say that in these values they are are already considering living allowence a travel allowence.

I've asked them to break down the package so that I can figure out how much is how much, but no reply yet....

How far can I go with these values, considering I'm applying for a senior position?

Cheers

35k - rent will be about 12k a month if not more, car - 2000?? depends on what you get.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

changeringer is an unknown quantity at this point

It took me a lot longer to swop my UK licence for a local one in Dubai a week or so back. The ticket number machine wasn't working and no-one knew who was next in line and the ladies behind the counter were in no mood to help. Then the laminator jammed! But I did get the little plastic thingy eventually and otherwise relatively painless
Old Aug 8th 2007, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: Information required!

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
35k - rent will be about 12k a month if not more, car - 2000?? depends on what you get.
And how far will the aprox 21K (or slightly less) take me, considering that I still have to pay utilities, food & groceries, leisure, etc?

Considering that I'll be the sole bread earned as my wife will not be working.

Cheers
Old Aug 8th 2007, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
that is the cost for taking driving lessons and taking a test. As a portugese citizen I think you'll just be able to fill in a form to get your local licence once you've got your residense permit. No test or lessons. takes about 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Thanks for the info Inselaffen, but will I have to pay the 4500 Dhs? Or will the cost be more reduced?
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

What can I get (apartment or villa) for 12k? And in which areas...bearing in mind that I'm looking at maps and things like that to orientate myself at the moment...
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help, but welcome to BE
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info Inselaffen, but will I have to pay the 4500 Dhs? Or will the cost be more reduced?
no you dont have to pay it! cant remember the cost. but think its only a couple of hundred dhs. think you'll also have to get your license translated into arabic
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:00 am
Concierge

And how far will the aprox 21K (or slightly less) take me, considering that I still have to pay utilities, food & groceries, leisure, etc?

Considering that I'll be the sole bread earned as my wife will not be working.

Cheers
21,000 Dhs a month is alot more than most people out here earn and they all manage. A three bed villa on the Springs are currently going for 170,000. A two bed apartment in Al Barsha area will cost approx 115 to 125k.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.