British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   info please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/info-please-480414/)

silax Sep 11th 2007 12:18 pm

info please

hi chaps
i'm new here and excuse my ignorance and my spelling
i'm gonna be living in dubia for the next couple of years and haven't got a clue what its like.
my main problem is proberbly gonna be boredom so i was thinking of getting a job in a bar or something similar nothing stressful just a nice quiet working enviroment whats the chance of that happening.
i've been chilling in spain for the last 3 years and i'm originally from newcastle england

MataHari Sep 11th 2007 1:04 pm

Re: info please

So you want to come here and just have a little barjob against the boredom...how are you going to pay for everything?

Cham128 Sep 11th 2007 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by silax (Post 5297874)
hi chaps
i'm new here and excuse my ignorance and my spelling
i'm gonna be living in dubia for the next couple of years and haven't got a clue what its like.
my main problem is proberbly gonna be boredom so i was thinking of getting a job in a bar or something similar nothing stressful just a nice quiet working enviroment whats the chance of that happening.
i've been chilling in spain for the last 3 years and i'm originally from newcastle england

Don't blame you... i'm planning on the same although if you're looking on working in a bar i doubt you'd earn enough money to actually live a great life out there. Don't quote me on this and I'm sure someone else will be able to give you more accurate information, but bar staff when i was there last tended to be more asian (indian filipino etc) i guess because they can pay them lower salaries...

would be intersting to see what the other responses are here though just in case i run out of money whilst i'm looking for a job out there

Inselaffen Sep 11th 2007 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5298053)
So you want to come here and just have a little barjob against the boredom...how are you going to pay for everything?

the chilling in spain bit gives that away! Must be some Geordie Gangster who is doing a runner from the Costa Del Crime!! :blink:

shakh your bootie Sep 11th 2007 1:13 pm

hey fella, what's up?

As my learned friend has pointed out, most bars here are staffed by Phillipino & Indian staff, but there are a few exceptions, especially trendier bars, where they like to have Westerners (or Aussies & South Africans). A few more places have a Western Bar Manager, with a team of bar-people from the developing nations. Have you any previous barwork experience?

silax Sep 11th 2007 1:25 pm

thanks for the replys no previous experience i prefer to be on the other side of the bar but thought i'd have a go at pulling pints.
financially i'm ok and my girlfriends got a 2 year contract in dubia so i just need something to keep me busy really. the apartment comes with her job so just really need to earn pin money.

shakh your bootie Sep 11th 2007 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by silax (Post 5298146)
thanks for the replys no previous experience i prefer to be on the other side of the bar but thought i'd have a go at pulling pints.
financially i'm ok and my girlfriends got a 2 year contract in dubia so i just need something to keep me busy really. the apartment comes with her job so just really need to earn pin money.

ah, a kept man. you lucky sod. with no previous in barwork you may have limited choices. but you may get something in the leisure industry. maybe try something like desert safaris, you could be a tour guide and do some offroading on the side... they like native brits for that kind of thing. do you have any hobbies - e.g. sailing, kite-surfing etc? again, native english speakers are popular as instructors?

Inselaffen Sep 11th 2007 1:41 pm

wont the visa situation be a problem?
or do most of these places happily employ staff on visit visas?

silax Sep 11th 2007 1:43 pm

i like the sound of instructor. my hobbies are pretty limited but i did gamble for a living when i was in spain but i guess i can't do that in dubai or i'll get my toes cut off so instructor it will be then got any ideas who to get in touch with about that.

Cham128 Sep 11th 2007 1:45 pm

has she got a sister? :lol:

silax Sep 11th 2007 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5298218)
has she got a sister? :lol:

yep she plays rugby and drives big lorries pm me and i'll send her your e-mail :p

silax Sep 11th 2007 2:03 pm

just out of interest whats the exchange rate over there to the gbp

Inselaffen Sep 11th 2007 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by silax (Post 5298242)
yep she plays rugby and drives big lorries pm me and i'll send her your e-mail :p

you shouldnt have said that! you'll be bombarded by PM's now. strange lot out here!!

Madam Medusa Sep 11th 2007 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5298305)
you shouldnt have said that! you'll be bombarded by PM's now. strange lot out here!!

what, into female rugby players...think that might just be you inselaffen...!!

MM, xx

Inselaffen Sep 11th 2007 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5298342)
what, into female rugby players...think that might just be you inselaffen...!!

MM, xx

only the pretty ones who play in the backs! the forwards would be more interested in you anyway MM ;)